Author Topic: Angry GOP donors close their wallets. 'I’m sick and tired of nothing happening,' one contributor says of the party's legislative failures.  (Read 2372 times)

rangerrebew

Angry GOP donors close their wallets

'I’m sick and tired of nothing happening,' one contributor says of the party's legislative failures.

By ALEX ISENSTADT and GABRIEL DEBENEDETTI

10/05/2017 05:02 AM EDT

By Benjamin Toff

Republicans are confronting a growing revolt from their top donors, who are cutting off the party in protest over its inability to get anything done.

Tensions reached a boiling point at a recent dinner at the home of Los Angeles billionaire Robert Day. In full view of around two dozen guests, Thomas Wachtell, a retired oil and gas investor and party contributor, delivered an urgent message to the night’s headliner, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell: Just do something.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/05/republican-donors-trump-mcconnell-anger-243449

Offline Applewood

Well,  I'm not  a mega-donor, but I used to send a paltry donation to a Republican candidate I liked.

No more.  The party is now liberal, brain dead and totally useless.  It and its candidates can go pound sand.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What took 'em so long. I quit 20 years ago. No rollback of Clinton Policies, and now, we have another pantload to push back into the dark hole they crawled out of and not crap happening, despite a decade of promises and control of the Congress and the White House.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
What took 'em so long. I quit 20 years ago. No rollback of Clinton Policies, and now, we have another pantload to push back into the dark hole they crawled out of and not crap happening, despite a decade of promises and control of the Congress and the White House.

@Smokin Joe

They've finally figured out what we knew a few years back.  Despite McConnell's pleas that we just needed the house/senate/presidency/all of the above to put republican/Conservative polices into effect and roll back 8 years of Obama...

He was lying through his teeth.  Nothing is going to change.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:29:49 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline skeeter

Today's MSM described 'right wing extremist' simply wants the GOP to stop moving to the left.

And the party's clearly not listening.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Well,  I'm not  a mega-donor, but I used to send a paltry donation to a Republican candidate I liked.

No more.  The party is now liberal, brain dead and totally useless.  It and its candidates can go pound sand.

I have to confess I sent two dollars to the republican candidate for governor

The democratic one is far worse and buying more tv spots. It's the lesser of two evils but I'm not happy with either one this year.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline thackney

I have to confess I sent two dollars to the republican candidate for governor

The democratic one is far worse and buying more tv spots. It's the lesser of two evils but I'm not happy with either one this year.

I understand sending money to a candidate you like.  I don't understand sending money to the GOP or RNC.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

I understand sending money to a candidate you like.  I don't understand sending money to the GOP or RNC.
Well, they stopped sending me the polls that were only a thinly veiled appeal for funds.

It might have something to do with taking a magic marker and writing across it "Why waste my time? You don't listen. " And then stuffing their prepaid envelope with all their stuff it would hold and sending it back.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Case in point is the $30 million spent by the National GOP and the National Republican Senatorial Committee on the losing candidate in the Alabama primary.

That was just flushing it down the toilet and did nothing but give the Dems ammunition of the talking points Strange knifed at Moore.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

Case in point is the $30 million spent by the National GOP and the National Republican Senatorial Committee on the losing candidate in the Alabama primary.

That was just flushing it down the toilet and did nothing but give the Dems ammunition of the talking points Strange knifed at Moore.
Proof again that the GOP regards Conservatives as the 'enemy'.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

Honestly, I hardly even care anymore.  Virginia is a blue state and it's going to stay that way.  We have a gubernatorial election next month, and the Democrat is 13 points ahead of the Republican, last time I heard.  The Republican is an establishment hack and an ex-lobbyist.  After those bastards lied to our faces for seven years, I don't see why I should bother.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Fishrrman <--- does not make political contributions... to ANYbody.

Offline Applewood

Honestly, I hardly even care anymore.  Virginia is a blue state and it's going to stay that way.  We have a gubernatorial election next month, and the Democrat is 13 points ahead of the Republican, last time I heard.  The Republican is an establishment hack and an ex-lobbyist.  After those bastards lied to our faces for seven years, I don't see why I should bother.

Pennsylvania has a Democrat governor and a Republican controlled legislature that might as well be Democrat.  The state is a lost cause. 

As the donations dry up, the next thing to go will be voters.  I vote because I have to.  I feel it's my duty to do so.  But it gets harder and harder each election.  I'm buying into the uniparty theory.  There really is no difference between the two major parties.  I believe others are thinking the same way, and if more people start thinking, why bother vote, that does not bode well for the future of this country.

Silver Pines

Pennsylvania has a Democrat governor and a Republican controlled legislature that might as well be Democrat.  The state is a lost cause. 

As the donations dry up, the next thing to go will be voters.  I vote because I have to.  I feel it's my duty to do so.  But it gets harder and harder each election.  I'm buying into the uniparty theory.  There really is no difference between the two major parties.  I believe others are thinking the same way, and if more people start thinking, why bother vote, that does not bode well for the future of this country.

@Applewood

I used to feel it was my duty, too.  My father was in the military.  But it's gotten to the point that I believe voting for these liars is a travesty and a mockery of what he, and countless others before him, fought for.

Not saying you should feel that way...it's just my personal thing.

Online Smokin Joe

@Applewood

I used to feel it was my duty, too.  My father was in the military.  But it's gotten to the point that I believe voting for these liars is a travesty and a mockery of what he, and countless others before him, fought for.

Not saying you should feel that way...it's just my personal thing.
I have about the same attitude. A candidate has to either have a track record worthy of my vote or have given me reason to believe they will get one if elected.

They have to earn my stamp of approval, otherwise, I'll have no qualms about rejecting the whole load.

C S Lewis

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

I remember when congressmen used to answer voters' questions and help their constituents with issues.

Today they only respond to deep pocket lobbyists... and the rest of us can eat cake.

Now when I call or write my congressman,  I only get a generic form letter back.  Sometimes it's the wrong form letter on a totally different subject.

Since they won't take their time and effort to represent me... why should I take my time and effort to vote for political prostitutes who only represent their rich oligarch sugar daddies.

Online Smokin Joe

I remember when congressmen used to answer voters' questions and help their constituents with issues.

Today they only respond to deep pocket lobbyists... and the rest of us can eat cake.

Now when I call or write my congressman,  I only get a generic form letter back.  Sometimes it's the wrong form letter on a totally different subject.

Since they won't take their time and effort to represent me... why should I take my time and effort to vote for political prostitutes who only represent their rich oligarch sugar daddies.
That happened to me in 1984. I got a nice letter form the president about farm policy. Only I had written about the Oil Industry. That was the year political donations started drying up. (I guess I should be happy they read the zip code or the return address...)

C S Lewis

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

That happened to me in 1984. I got a nice letter form the president about farm policy. Only I had written about the Oil Industry. That was the year political donations started drying up. (I guess I should be happy they read the zip code or the return address...)

I have one that takes the cake.

Back when Kay Bailey Hutchison was Texas senator, she would put Col Travis' famous letter from the Alamo [letter appealing for assistance fighting against the Mexican army] into the Congressional Record every year on Texas Independence Day.  So I sent her a comment against the illegal Mexican demographic army that is pouring over the border and received a totally unrelated form letter in return. So I wrote her again with my original comment and said her office had sent the wrong form letter.  Get this... I received another wrong form letter a second time.  I could hardly believe the incompetence of her staff. So I called her Austin office and a Mexican woman speaking broken English answered the phone!!   I am not joking... this outrageous irony really happened.  Col Travis [who died a martyr at the Alamo] would be rolling in his grave !!

Offline Applewood

Yes, I have experience with form letters from our representatives too. 

When Obamacare was being considered, I wrote to my idiot Democrat congressman begging him to vote against this monstrosity.  I laid out the reasons why he should vote against it in as clearly and professionally  as possible.  I received a form letter from the idiot telling me that Obamacare would be wonderful and I'm really going to like it.  His letter did not address any of my enumerated concerns.  I suspect that the party might have given the dope and the rest of his colleagues the language to use in case some malcontent constituent questioned this legislation.  This congressman is too stupid to come up with language himself.

I suppose I should be grateful the dope sent me a response of any kind.  Neither of the two PA Republican senators in office at the time answered my letter at all.