Author Topic: ALDS Game One: The biggest little kid on the Astros' block  (Read 716 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
ALDS Game One: The biggest little kid on the Astros' block
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:28:52 am »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/10/05/the-biggest-little-kid-on-the-astros-block/

Justin Verlander was an eyewitness to the last time anyone hit three out in a single postseason game. Matter
of fact, he was the victim twice, when he was a Tiger and Pablo Sandoval was a still-productive Giant. Kung
Fu Panda’s three bombs in Game One of the 2012 World Series launched the Giants to a Series sweep.

Verlander thinks it’s far more fun to be just the eyewitness. Especially when he’s the beneficiary, as he was
in Game One of his Astros’ American League division series against the Red Sox. And, perhaps even more,
when it’s Jose Altuve hitting the three.

“I told him the last time I’ve seen three home runs in a game was Pablo Sandoval and I gave up two of
them,” Verlander said after the 8-2 win, “so I’m glad there’s somebody new that’s done it.”

Altuve, the Tom Thumb of the Show, blasted two onto the left field pavilion at Minute Maid Park off Red
Sox starter Chris Sale in the first—right after teammate Alex Bregman hit one into the porch seats nearb
y—and the fifth. In the seventh, he met Red Sox reliever Austin Maddox and drove one so far above the
pavilion you thought for a moment that only the closed retractable roof kept it from landing in the street
behind the ballpark.

“Hey kids,” tweeted former pitcher Ryan Dempster, who kept Altuve to 2-for-8 with a double and two runs
batted in when facing him before he retired, “don’t ever let anyone tell you that that you are too small to
chase your dreams, not big enough to play with the big kids.”

Right now Altuve’s the biggest little kid on the Astros’ block. He’s too modest to say it and he insists it’s no
big deal. “As soon as I cross the white line,” he said after the game, “I feel the same size as everyone else.”

Tell that to teammate George Springer, who didn’t seem to mind taking the three punchout collar in Game
One so long as he got to watch Altuve channel his inner Reggie Jackson. “He makes sure he stays on top
of his gym routine,” Springer crowed, “whatever it is. The dude is just a joke.”

Incidentally, Verlander had a pretty decent day himself. He may not be the classic Verlander anymore, but
he kept the Red Sox to a pair of runs on six hits with three punchouts despite two walks in six innings’
work. He hasn’t lost as an Astro yet. But who the hell needed him? This was Altuve’s postseason coming
out party.

“I think we can officially call him a ‘run producer’,” Verlander deadpanned. “He gets so many hits that I
think some of his run production gets cast aside a little bit. But he’s the best hitter in the league, and
that’s in a league of really, really good hitters.”

The last Astro to leave the yard three times in any game was Carlos Lee in 2007 . . . during the regular
season. Altuve may be calmly aware of his own talent, but the coding for hitting three out in a postseason
game seemed not to have been programmed into his software.

He hardly seemed to mind that teammate Marwin (the Magician) Gonzalez put the Astros up for keeps
with a two-run double that busted a two-all tie in the fourth.

“I hit one and I was like: `Wow.’ And the second one is like, `Wow, what’s going on here?’” he said. So
what about numero three-o, Jose? “I got to wake up,” he grinned. Don’t you dare, you could hear assorted
Astros thinking to themselves.

Altuve is one of the few current Astros who has survived the franchise’s arduous ground-up rebuild. Right
now he’s not just a survivor, he’s close enough to a saviour.

“How good is Jose Altuve?” asks manager A.J. Hinch. “It’s incredible to watch him step up and be every bit
the star that we needed today for sure. It’s hard to describe in different ways.”

It may be harder for the Red Sox to describe Altuve’s mayhem after a day on which Chris Sale was lucky to
pitch into the sixth inning and the Red Sox may have been lucky to pry a couple of runs out of Verlander,
whose resurgence since his trade from the Tigers seems miraculous enough in its own right.

Sale’s slider could have been slapped with away without leave charges, his fastball had its moments but
not its movements, and the Astros got to the point where it looked as though they were using him for
batting practise ahead of facing Drew Pomerantz in Game Two.

“Anytime he mislocated, particularly in the middle of the plate,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell, “they
made him pay for it. And then his slider was hit and miss today. Some were flat, some had good depth,
but the inconsistency to the location pitch to pitch is a difference in this one against a team that makes
you pay.”

“I just never really gave my team a chance to win today,” Sale lamented. “Put [us] in a hole early. They
fought back and they fought back hard and I gave it right back to them. It happens, a terrible time for
it to happen.”

Things started disastrously right out of the chute for the Red Sox. Designated hitter Eduardo Nunez went
down to his bothersome knee after running out a grounder and then out of the game. He came out of
the game in favour of Hanley Ramirez, and the Red Sox said if the knee continues to bother Nunez they’ll
pull him from the roster in favour of Chris Young.

That might be easier for the Red Sox to solve than Altuve was in Game One.

“The more you get to know him,” said Game Two’s scheduled Astros starter Dallas Keuchel, to Bleacher
, “the greater you think he is. Because it’s not just about his MVP-type talent. He’s a leader
in the clubhouse. He’s a guy who can make you laugh at any point in time. He loves music; he’s always
singing and dancing.”

For a guy who practically had to plead his way into an Astros tryout after several other teams turned him
down because they didn’t think he was big enough, Altuve just might be the biggest thing in an Astros
uniform since . . . your guess is as good as mine.

Three Hall of Famers—Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, and Nolan Ryan—were in the audience for Altuve’s
version of “Three to Get Ready.” All three could only be impressed. Altuve was almost the least impressed
man in the house.

Ask around the Astros and you’ll discover he’s still the kid who sometimes can’t grok that players might
go three days without a hit when he frets that he’s gone three at-bats without one. On Thursday, that
was the least of the problems for the American League batting champion and the biggest of a pocketful
of Red Sox headaches.

“To be honest with you,” Altuve said, “I already forgot about my batting title. This is a new season for
me.” Long as he doesn’t forget how to hit, the Astros are thrilled.
-------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@Cyber Liberty
@Slip18
@musiclady
@DCPatriot
@TomSea
@catfish1957
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@Bigun
@dfwgator

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: ALDS Game One: The biggest little kid on the Astros' block
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:36:36 am »
He's got MVP written all over him!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:37:12 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 04:39:36 am »
He's got MVP written all over him!
I looked up his splits for this year and found something intriguing about him: his inning-by-inning
performance. Whenever he hit in the sixth or in the eighth innings, he hit below .240. And his
highest by-innings BA was .376 hitting in the first three innings, though he hit .356 in the seventh
through the ninth overall.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:51:22 am »
Jackpot!  Great baseball piece....Pookie's Toons...and my favorite cup of coffee!

@EasyAce @pookie18

GO NATS!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 02:26:00 pm »

I had some other responsibilities last night and missed watching the game, so I appreciate the write-up, @EasyAce !

I like Altuve -- glad he had such a stellar night.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 04:08:04 pm »
He could be another 4,000 hit ballplayer, should he stay healthy.
I has been a lot of fun to watch him here, that's for sure.
I am hoping the Astros are 2-0 going into Fenway on Sunday.