Author Topic: NRA backs new regs on device used in Vegas shootings  (Read 4548 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: NRA backs new regs on device used in Vegas shootings
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2017, 02:27:57 am »
Why shouldn't bump stocks be subject to the same regulations as automatic weapons?

I agree. Require a Class 3 license just as you would for an automatic.  Frankly I never heard of a bump-stock until this shooting. I'm shocked that they were made legal in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:28:28 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Idiot

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2017, 02:32:21 am »
Sadly, the company that made the bump stock...Slide Fire....is located pretty near me.  I hate to see the loss of jobs.  I had a relative that worked for them.

I personally would never own one, since I really have no use for one.  I can't imagine wasting that many expensive .223 shells in such a quick manner.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2017, 02:35:10 am »
I agree. Require a Class 3 license just as you would for an automatic.  Frankly I never heard of a bump-stock until this shooting. I'm shocked that they were made legal in the first place.

Require a class three license for what in many cases is a rubber band?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2017, 02:38:32 am »
Require a class three license for what in many cases is a rubber band?
I would think with some practice a person could learn to do that without any device. Are you illegal if you do? Do you have to have a permit for your self as well as carry insurance (pay the breath tax?) and does that make you a transferable weapon if you were made before 1986? 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2017, 02:53:47 am »
I would think with some practice a person could learn to do that without any device. Are you illegal if you do? Do you have to have a permit for your self as well as carry insurance (pay the breath tax?) and does that make you a transferable weapon if you were made before 1986?

Here's the other shoe to drop:
It's such a simple hack, really applicable to any semi-automatic weapon, that the only way to protect against it is to outlaw semi-automatic weapons...

Online DB

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2017, 03:05:35 am »
So are the Republicans and NRA going to make offerings on each mass murder with a gun? This road only leads one place.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2017, 03:13:57 am »

If you can do it with just your body its entirely legal. The ATF disallowed auto gloves, but not the Bump Stocks. That was an odd decision. Auto Sears are declared as machine guns. When they are inserted into a semi-auto weapon, the weapon becomes full auto. When the auto sear is removed, the weapon is again a semi-auto and the auto sear is still declared a machine gun. If the bump stocks were treated accordingly, they would be declared a machine gun whether they were affixed to a firearm or not.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2017, 03:15:26 am »
What everyone is missing in the nut kicking and dog piling of the NRA statement is this:

1)  The bump stock is an accessory and regulation of it and doesn't infringe upon your rights to own the firearm upon which it fits.

2)  They also called for enactment of nationwide reciprocity, which would allow law abiding carrying citizens to exercise their rights across the country.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:16:07 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2017, 03:25:18 am »
OK folks, here is the thing about 'bump stocks'.  They are a gimmick. They are an expensive piece of plastic that allows you to do something with some types of rifles that you can technically do with a rubber band or even just proper training on a different way to hold your rifle.

A bump stock basically works like this.  In a normal semi-automatic rifle, every time you pull the trigger with your finger it fires.  A bump stock holds your finger still on the trigger and moves the gun back and forth with each shot recoil, so your finger is steady and the gun is moving (exact opposite of how you are taught to shoot).

You can do the exact same thing with a rubber band threaded around your finger and the trigger and across the magazine (I've also seen it through the belt loop). Like this:

You can even train yourself to hold the rifle in a certain way to 'bump' fire without the rubber band. (kind of complicated but basically you do not hold the rifle at all with your trigger hand, you just keep it there in one spot and support the rifle by the barrel only- don't try this at home kids)....

All a Bump Stock does 99.999999% of the time is separate a sucker from their money.

And to add one more piece of complexity to this- you can 3D print a bump fire stock with plans all over the internet for about $10 worth of plastic thread.

Banning these are literally a useless piece of symbolism.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:26:44 am by AbaraXas »

Online DB

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2017, 04:26:28 am »
Anyone with a little technical knowledge can make any weapon that automatically chambers a new round work like a full auto any number of ways. From entirely mechanical to a mix of mechanical and electronic. And I'd guess virtually anyone that can operate a 3D printer can make their own a bump stock regardless of being commercially available or not.

Making laws to ban these sorts of things only keep them away from the people who obey the law. It does zip against the determined. Especially the determined with know how.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2017, 06:18:35 am »
Why shouldn't bump stocks be subject to the same regulations as automatic weapons?

Another lib in Virginia?
Surprise!

That is all I can think unless you just forgot to put the </sarc tag at the end of your post?

Right_in_Virginia?
There is no Right in you sir!

The second amendment should NEVER have been tampered with and the Founders would consider all 'regulations' to be an infringement and thus .. Unconstitutional!

You sir shame all true Virginians!
(Yes, I live in Virginia myself)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:21:47 am by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2017, 06:22:12 am »
Maybe we could just pass a law against shooting people?

Oh wait...we have one of those... (a few of them, actually).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2017, 06:55:27 am »
What reason is there for turning a semi-automatic rifle into an automatic rifle ... other than to kill a lot of people?
You sound like a liberal. Gun owners like to have fun. We can't afford machine guns but we can do the bump stock thing. Killing people is not our bag. I shot automatics when I was in the service and loved it. Evidently you don't enjoy shooting. I love shooting into tannerite with some charcoal lighter attached. To each his own.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington