Author Topic: Twitter Users Appear to Track Navy Ships Using Newly Activated Beacons  (Read 406 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Seth Robson

Naval enthusiasts are tweeting what they believe are U.S. warship positions after commanders ordered the vessels to activate their beacons while in congested waters to avoid collisions.

The order to turn on the Automatic Identification System (AIS) locators, reported by National Public Radio on Sept. 29, follows a series of collisions that have killed 17 sailors in the Pacific in recent months.

However, it appears that the new procedure is also allowing people to track the warships online.

A tweet posted on Sunday that maps the location of a "US GOV VSL" approaching Hong Kong reads: "Reason to believe this is USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76)."

NPR reported that it still isn't clear whether the USS Fitzgerald was transmitting its AIS at the time of a June collision that killed seven sailors off the coast of Japan; however, it is known that the USS John S. McCain was not when it hit a merchant ship near Singapore two months later, killing 10.

Retired Vice Adm. William Douglas Crowder, a former 7th Fleet commander and a former deputy chief of naval operations, told NPR that Navy ships typically use locators in receive-only mode, which allows them to see other vessels using the system but doesn't let other ships see them.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/10/03/twitter-users-track-navy-ships-using-newly-activated-beacons.html
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Twitter Users Appear to Track Navy Ships Using Newly Activated Beacons
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 05:27:52 am »
Seems like there should be a happy medium which allows the ship to warn off those in close range without broadcasting its location to the world.  Crew fatigue/sleep deprivation may be a factor, on either vessel, as well, but proximity warnings/alerts could be broadcast at relatively low power with an automated system, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: Twitter Users Appear to Track Navy Ships Using Newly Activated Beacons
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 05:38:09 am »
Seems like there should be a happy medium which allows the ship to warn off those in close range without broadcasting its location to the world.  Crew fatigue/sleep deprivation may be a factor, on either vessel, as well, but proximity warnings/alerts could be broadcast at relatively low power with an automated system, too.

:beer:
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome