Author Topic: AL Wild Card Game: Reality bites the Twins  (Read 938 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
AL Wild Card Game: Reality bites the Twins
« on: October 04, 2017, 01:57:24 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/10/04/reality-bites-the-twins/

Before he took the mound in Yankee Stadium Tuesday night, Ervin Santana, the Twins’ wild card game
starter, did his best to shake off how much he doesn’t really like Yankee Stadium. Anyone who doesn’t
believe in miracles,” the veteran tweeted, “is not a realist.”

Oh, boy, did reality bite. Hard.

Someone should have reminded Santana of the admonition of Jesus Christ: “Judge not, that ye not be
judged.” Or, Judged, as the case turned out to be for the Twins as they went home for the winter on
an 8-4 loss.

Santana got off easy like. Aaron Judge couldn’t hit anything better off him than a first-inning single
with nobody out and Brett Gardner aboard with a walk. One out later, though, Didi Gregorius banged
the gavel on Santana’s head with a launch into the right field bleachers.

That tied a game that opened with the Twins up 3-0 and chasing Yankee rookie starter Luis Severino
faster than you could say “soul sacrifice.” It got this bad for the rookie star: during the season he
got swinging strikes every eight pitches, but in the wild card game he got none in the 29 pitches
he threw.

Brian Dozier merely led off hitting a 3-1 fastball into the left field seats. A one-out walk to Jorge
Polanco later, Eddie Polanco turned Severino’s 1-1 slider into a two-run bomb, followed by Eduardo
Escobar’s single and Max Kepler’s double, and Yankee manager Joe Girardi decided too much was
enough.

He went Indians at once and brought in Chad Green. And Green struck out both Byron Buxton
and Jason Castro for the side, delivering two and two thirds of relief enough that was spoiled
only when the Twins pushed a fourth run home on an infield out. That merely re-tied the game
after Gardner—whom Santana was silly enough to try brushing back one pitch earlier—jerked a
full-count fastball into the second deck in the bottom of the second.

The Yankees then got fast and loose in the Twins’ bullpen while the Twins could do nothing against
Green’s successors. David Robertson, the former Yankee closer re-aquired in July, pinned the Twins
in three and a third with three scattered hits, five punchouts, and one measly walk. Then Tommy
Kahnle, another July acquisition, threw two and a third perfect.

Jose Barrios must have felt he’d gotten off light when Greg Bird sent Gary Sanchez (leadoff double)
home with a two-out base hit in the third. But after Gardner laced a one-out single in the fourth,
here came the Judge, and over the left field fence went the 1-0 curve ball in a 108 miles-per-hour
hurry.

“We’ve had a quite a few games where we’ve gotten down early,” Judge himself said to reporters
after the game. ”Just keep battling. Just stay calm. Just play your game, and good things will happen.”

It may have seemed a kind of perverse relief that the eighth and final Yankee run of the night came
home on a bases loaded walk to Aaron Hicks in the seventh by the third Twins pitcher of the inning,
Alan Busenitz.

That’s how you relieve Severino of having the shortest postseason start by any Yankee pitcher since
Art Ditmar opening the 1960 World Series and Bob Turley in Game Two of the 1958 Series.

But there’s no relief for the Twins, who haven’t won a postseason game since another Santana—
Johan—beat the Yankees in Game One of the 2004 division series, the only game in that set that
the Twins would win. Until Tuesday night, they’d been to three division series, in 2006, 2009, and
2010, and got swept out of all three.

And you have to worry just a little bit about how far the Yankee relievers in the game were extended.
Green, Robertson, Kahnle, and Aroldis Chapman—who struck out the side to end the game—threw
a combined 142 pitches. Good thing they don’t start their division set with the Indians until Thursday.

For Judge, Tuesday night was the sweetest relief after he’d spent the second half mostly cooling
down from his torrid first half until he ramped it back up in September. The only question about
the kid whose bombs and personality have inspired the creation of a Yankee Stadium section
known as the Judge’s Chambers was whether he could be clutch during the only time that ever
really counts as clutch for Yankee fans.

With one swing in the fourth Judge answered “Yes!” with his own distinctive type of gavel bang.
And in one wild card game that started three deep in the hole the Yankees showed a team depth
that could, in theory, give the Indians a run for their division series money.

But Judge’s jack gave them early and badly-needed insurance, turning a one-run lead into a
three-run lead faster than you could holler “All rise!” The gentle giant who obliterated the rookie
season home run record let it show how much fun he had doing it, his big grin flashing several
times as he rounded the bases.

He impressed the Twins and their manager, Hall of Famer Paul Molitor. “All I’ve heard about this
guy,” Molitor said after the game, “he’s the kind of guy that you want to have up front in our
game. And so I tip my cap to him for that, for understanding the transition of stardom in our
game, and I think we’re in good hands with people like him.”

That’s for the game at large. For the Twins Tuesday, they were in anything but good hands with
him and the Yankees. Their thirteenth straight postseason loss tied the record set by the Red
Sox between 1986 and 1995. In five of their last six postseason gigs the Twins were eliminated
by the Yankees. Puts a big smothering on their rarest achievement: going from a 100+ loss
season to the postseason immediately following.

“Nobody expected us to be here,” Buxton said after the game.

“I just told them I don’t want them to allow this to take away from what they did this year,” said
veteran Joe Mauer, referring to his talk to his mates after it ended. Mauer, whose best seasons
are long gone as he’s battled the injuries that turned him from a top catcher into a first baseman,
almost tied the game in the top of the sixth with two out and two on, until Gardner ran it down
and caught it just in front of the wall.

“These guys showed me a lot of character and resilience all year long,” Mauer continued, “and
it was no different tonight.”

That’s something for the Twins to take with them for 2018. The problem is, the Yankees let
them take things only so far in 2017. The Twins take into their offseason not just a jolt of
disappointment but yet another search for reliable pitching, up and down the organisation.

And Santana, who’d spent his spare time before starting Tuesday night acting and talking like
a calm leader, sounded after the game like a man who’d surrendered when the surrendering
was good.

“It’s disappointing, but you don’t get excited in this stadium about three runs,” he said of the
3-0 lead to which he was staked at the outset but lost almost as fast, “because anything can
happen. The ball flies here.” And the Twins’ season crashed there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@Wingnut
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@DCPatriot
@Jazzhead
@dfwgator
@Cyber Liberty
@TomSea
@Freya
@Suppressed
@Slip18
@GrouchoTex
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 02:43:29 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: AL Wild Card Game: Reality bites the Twins
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 02:01:22 pm »

What Yankee Stadium mystique?  Astros and Kuechel had no problem in the 2015 WC game.

Postseason hype at its best.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 02:13:11 pm »
For some reason your pings list doesn't work...

So, what are the Vegas odds for tonight's NLWC playoff?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 02:38:16 pm »
What Yankee Stadium mystique?  Astros and Kuechel had no problem in the 2015 WC game.

Postseason hype at its best.
I didn't say one word about any Yankee Stadium mystique; I merely noted Ervin Santana,
the Twins' starting pitcher, isn't crazy about pitching there. Righthanded pitchers usually
aren't, even in this third Yankee Stadium which is, of course, built to favour the Yankees'
lefthanded hitting no matter the hash righthanded Aaron Judge made out of Jose Barrios's
curve ball Tuesday night. Keuchel the lefthander you would expect to do well enough in
Yankee Stadium; the only time he faced the Yankees on the season, he pitched in Yankee
Stadium and won.

The mystique isn't the stadium anymore (the old Yankee Stadium, versions one and two,
of course had all those pennants and World Series past) but the franchise itself. It'll take
a number of years and further pennants for this third Yankee Stadium to take on the
real mystique the old park had.

That said, I don't expect even these Yankees to outlast the Indians in their division series.
The Yankee bullpen is good; the Indians had the best pen in the league. They also
have a better pitching staff overall. The Yankees will make it a challenge for the Indians,
but I'd half expect the Indians to win the division series in five.

But if it does come to the Yankees and the Astros in the League Championship Series,
the Astros should feel good about Keuchel pitching in one of the Yankee Stadium games:
he's 3-1 lifetime with a 1.61 ERA in that ballpark. (Keuchel didn't become an Astro until
this Yankee Stadium was three years old.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 02:52:36 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 02:40:25 pm »

It looks like the odds favour the Diamondbacks, even with two somewhat evenly matched
pitchers (Jon Gray for the Rockies, Zack Greinke for the Snakes) starting.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 03:15:51 pm »
Thanks!

Greinke was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, but hasn't been very standout since coming to Phoenix.  Ray only pitched 1.2 innings Sunday, so I'll bet he will be the reliever.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 09:13:38 pm »

@EasyAce
I second what Cyber Liberty noted -- I'm not getting the notifications, either, although I can clearly see that you've pinged me on the post. (Thanks for that, by the way; hopefully they'll start working again soon.  Maybe @AbaraXas can help with that??)

In any case, it was another good write-up!

It got this bad for the rookie star: during the season he got swinging strikes every eight pitches, but in the wild card game he got none in the 29 pitches he threw.

It was hard to miss the fact that Severino was getting shellacked in his 1/3 of an inning that lasted at least 3 days, but I didn't realize he hadn't gotten a single swinging strike. Yowsa.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 10:29:24 pm »
Truth be known....it's a damned shame that in the Diamondback/Rockies game...one team's finished.

Either one is better than the Cubs, IMO.

I'm counting my lucky stars that the NATS get to face the CUBS rather than either of those in a 5 game series.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:30:13 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 10:47:57 pm »
Truth be known....it's a damned shame that in the Diamondback/Rockies game...one team's finished.

Either one is better than the Cubs, IMO.

I'm counting my lucky stars that the NATS get to face the CUBS rather than either of those in a 5 game series.

I hate, DETEST the new single game playoff Wildcard system.  I far preferred the simpler "best record" choice to go to playoffs. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 10:57:29 pm »
What reality? That they had 103 losses last year? That only 5 teams in the American League had winning records? So, that means the 3 division winners and the 2 Wild Cards. Again, if you win the wild card, you have to go and play.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 11:50:39 pm »
What reality? That they had 103 losses last year? That only 5 teams in the American League had winning records?
@TomSea
It was a reference to Ervin Santana's remark prior to the game: "Anyone who doesn’t
believe in miracles is not a realist.”

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 06:51:32 pm »
If your pitcher doesn't think you can win the game to begin with, he doesn't belong on your team. I don't get the criticism of Santana.  What's he suppose to say, "oh, we can't win. 

It doesn't seem sporting.