Author Topic: Messerschmitt Me 264  (Read 623 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Messerschmitt Me 264
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:27:19 am »
The Amerika-Bomber project was an initiative of the German Reichsluftfahrtministerium to obtain a long-range strategic bomber for the Luftwaffe that would be capable of striking the United States from Germany, a round-trip distance of about 11,600 km (7,200 mi). The concept was raised as early as 1938, but advanced, cogent plans for such a long-range strategic bomber design did not begin to appear in Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring's offices until early 1942. Various proposals were put forward, including using it to deliver an atomic bomb (which Germany ultimately never developed), but they were all eventually abandoned as too expensive, and potentially consuming far too much of Germany's rapidly diminishing aviation production capacity after 1942.

According to Albert Speer's book, Spandau: The Secret Diaries, Adolf Hitler was fascinated with the idea of New York City in flames. In 1937, Willy Messerschmitt hoped to win a lucrative contract by showing Hitler a prototype of theThe Amerika-Bomber project was an initiative of the German Reichsluftfahrtministerium to obtain a long-range strategic bomber for the Luftwaffe that would be capable of striking the United States from Germany, a round-trip distance of about 11,600 km (7,200 mi). The concept was raised as early as 1938, but advanced, cogent plans for such a long-range strategic bomber design did not begin to appear in Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring's offices until early 1942. Various proposals were put forward, including using it to deliver an atomic bomb (which Germany ultimately never developed), but they were all eventually abandoned as too expensive, and potentially consuming far too much of Germany's rapidly diminishing aviation production capacity after 1942.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/operation-pastorius-hitler-s-unfulfilled-dream-of-a-new-york-in-flames-a-716753.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerika_Bomber

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5mcUlsbI24
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: Messerschmitt Me 264
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:02:26 am »
It looked like a German version of a B-29 bomber

Nearly all were companies that manufactured parts for aircraft, so the goal was likely to cripple U.S. aircraft production.

Allis-Chalmers in La Porte, Indiana
Allison Division of G.M. in Indianapolis, Indiana
Aluminum Corp. of America in Alcoa, Tennessee; Massena, New York; Badin, North Carolina and Vancouver, British Columbia
American Car & Foundry in Berwick, Pennsylvania
Bausch & Lomb in Rochester, New York
Chrysler Corp. in Detroit, Michigan
Colt Manufacturing in Hartford, Connecticut
Corning Glass Works in Corning, New York
Cryolite Refinery in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Cryolite Mine in Arsuk, Greenland
Curtiss Wright Corp. in Beaver, Pennsylvania, Buffalo, New York, and Caldwell, New Jersey
Hamilton Standard Corp. in East Hartford, Connecticut and Pawcatuck, Connecticut
Pratt & Whitney Aircraft in East Hartford, Connecticut
Sperry Gyroscope in Brooklyn, New Yor
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:05:27 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome