Author Topic: Deathmatch: America's F-35 vs. the A-10 Warthog (Who Wins?)  (Read 475 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Deathmatch: America's F-35 vs. the A-10 Warthog (Who Wins?)
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:38:33 am »
Kris Osborn

As a multi-role fighter, the F-35 is also engineered to function as an intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance platform designed to apprehend and process video, data and information from long distances. Some F-35 developers have gone so far as to say the F-35 has ISR technologies comparable to many drones in service today that are able to beam a “soda straw” video view of tactically relevant combat locations in real time.

Flying close to ground troops in combat in hostile and high-threat conditions requires a host of unique attributes for an aircraft -- such as flying slow and low to the ground, absorbing some degree of small arms fire and having an ability to quickly maneuver in response to fast-changing ground combat conditions.These, and many more, are among factors now being analyzed as proponents of both the A-10 Warthog and F-35 Joint Strike Fighter assess their respective abilities to perform the crucial and highly valued Close Air Support mission. The Pentagon and the Air Force are now conducting a thorough examination of each plane's capability for this role - including extensive analysis, simulated tests, flights of both aircraft under combat-like conditions and a range of tests, Air Force and Pentagon officials have explained. While many of the details of the ongoing evaluation are not now being discussed publically, the results are expected to bear prominently upon the visible ongoing debate regarding the future mission scope of both the A-10 and the F-35. The Air Force has been working on a formal Analysis of Alternatives designed to address the issue.

While the cherished A-10 is unambiguously combat-tested in the role of Close Air Support, some F-35 advocates have mused that the JSF sensors, maneuverability, high-tech computers, 25mm canon and arsenal of weapons just might better position the 5th generation aircraft for the mission; at the same time, the A-10s titanium frame, built-in redundancy, famous nose-aligned 30mm cannon and wide-ranging precision-weapons envelope make clearly make it the best choice for close air support.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/deathmatch-americas-f-35-vs-the-10-warthog-who-wins-22493
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: Deathmatch: America's F-35 vs. the A-10 Warthog (Who Wins?)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 04:41:32 am »
The Warthog can be extremely damaged(such as missing a wing) and still be able to fly.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 02:50:46 pm »
I do not believe the CAS role belongs with the Air Force.  It has always been treated as the bastard step child.  AF Generals have always put "go fast" and "go heavy" over "go close".  I am of the opinion that the CAS role is best moved to the Army and Marine divisions.  I am aware that the A10 is getting old, but it works.  Just like the B-52. 

If it aint broke, dont fix it. 
Keep it until something better comes along.

Full disclosure - I am a former Infantryman.  As a group, we LOVE the A-10 because it does the CAS role better than any other.

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 03:03:56 pm »
I do not believe the CAS role belongs with the Air Force.  It has always been treated as the bastard step child.  AF Generals have always put "go fast" and "go heavy" over "go close".  I am of the opinion that the CAS role is best moved to the Army and Marine divisions.  I am aware that the A10 is getting old, but it works.  Just like the B-52. 

Full disclosure - I am a former Infantryman.  As a group, we LOVE the A-10 because it does the CAS role better than any other.

If the Army adopts this, http://www.bellhelicopter.com/military/bell-v-280 , then it may get around the Air Force restriction on fixed-wing combat aircraft.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 05:40:05 am »

:beer: