Author Topic: Colorado says 430 pipelines failed leak test after explosion — Aurora pipeline tests not available  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Suppressed

Colorado says 430 pipelines failed leak test after explosion — Aurora pipeline tests not available
"This situation would be just as 'safe' if the regulators found there are 430 caches of dynamite next to buildings with people in them," said Jones, a Democrat who represents part of Boulder County. "This is yet another example showing that these oil and gas pipelines have no business being near our children's schools or our communities' homes."
By DAN ELLIOTT, Associated Press, Updated: September 29, 2017 7:44 am
http://www.aurorasentinel.com/news/metroaurora/colorado-says-430-pipelines-failed-leak-test-explosion-aurora-pipeline-tests-not-available/

Tiny holes or faulty parts could be the reason that about 430 oil or gas pipelines in Colorado failed a leak-detection test after a fatal explosion blamed on gas seeping from a severed line, regulators said Thursday.

[...]

Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat and former petroleum engineer, said the results show the reason he ordered the inspections. “Given the number of (pipelines) in the state, this is a relatively small figure; however, each failure requires our attention,” he said in a written statement.

[...]

The commission said more than 107,000 pipelines either passed the test or were out of service and have been sealed. The status of another 13,000 pipelines remained unclear, officials said, and they were working with energy companies to get more information.

The pipelines, called flow lines, carry oil, gas or water from wells to storage tanks or other collection equipment. They are usually underground.

The state ordered the tests after an April 17 explosion in Firestone that killed two people, injured one and destroyed a house.

[...]

Excerpt.  Read more at link.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:33:21 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Suppressed No link?!

I noticed they didn't say how many were water lines, gas lines, oil, refined products, etc. and was hoping to find that there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

@Suppressed No link?!

I noticed they didn't say how many were water lines, gas lines, oil, refined products, etc. and was hoping to find that there.

@Smokin Joe  Oops...  here it is!  http://www.aurorasentinel.com/news/metroaurora/colorado-says-430-pipelines-failed-leak-test-explosion-aurora-pipeline-tests-not-available/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe  Oops...  here it is!  http://www.aurorasentinel.com/news/metroaurora/colorado-says-430-pipelines-failed-leak-test-explosion-aurora-pipeline-tests-not-available/
While there was a lot of discussion of the Firestone explosion in the comments, I still didn't see any breakdown on what lines that failed testing carried/carry what, are actively in use, etc., so it is hard to put the problem into rational perspective. Using GIS data, the old wellheads and lines could be mapped as a tool to avoid incidents like the Firestone explosion, and the data provided to developers. The State should have records of the current and formerly producing wells and even dry holes in the State, and those should be checked, with priority on developed and developing areas.

Sounds like the ultimate onus should be on the developer if the line in Firestone was damaged 10 feet from the house (the Firestone explosion). Perhaps Colorado should look into making sure that not only are the old wells (abandoned) are in compliance, but the lines as well. Maybe they can spend some of their weed money on that, or put that on the developers to ensure that the lines are avoided.
Those wells should have been plugged, not just capped, and there wouldn't be a problem, provided the old pipelines are disconnected and purged.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:32:05 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

While there was a lot of discussion of the Firestone explosion in the comments, I still didn't see any breakdown on what lines that failed testing carried/carry what, are actively in use, etc., so it is hard to put the problem into rational perspective. Using GIS data, the old wellheads and lines could be mapped as a tool to avoid incidents like the Firestone explosion, and the data provided to developers. The State should have records of the current and formerly producing wells and even dry holes in the State, and those should be checked, with priority on developed and developing areas.

Sounds like the ultimate onus should be on the developer if the line in Firestone was damaged 10 feet from the house (the Firestone explosion). Perhaps Colorado should look into making sure that not only are the old wells (abandoned) are in compliance, but the lines as well. Maybe they can spend some of their weed money on that, or put that on the developers to ensure that the lines are avoided.
Those wells should have been plugged, not just capped, and there wouldn't be a problem, provided the old pipelines are disconnected and purged.

I believe the onus is going to rest on the owner of the well and lines, if that can be established.

Oil, gas lines near Colorado buildings mapped after Firestone explosion
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/30/firestone-explosion-oil-gas-lines-map/The order to test all pipelines came after a natural gas explosion killed two people and injured a third in April

Since 2001, the commission has required companies to disconnect and purge flow lines when they are abandoned. They also have to be cut off 3 feet below the surface and sealed at both ends.

Ellsworth said the owners of abandoned pipelines identified in this year’s inspections will have to comply with that rule, even if the lines went out of use before the rule was enacted.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

I believe the onus is going to rest on the owner of the well and lines, if that can be established.

Oil, gas lines near Colorado buildings mapped after Firestone explosion
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/30/firestone-explosion-oil-gas-lines-map/The order to test all pipelines came after a natural gas explosion killed two people and injured a third in April

Since 2001, the commission has required companies to disconnect and purge flow lines when they are abandoned. They also have to be cut off 3 feet below the surface and sealed at both ends.

Ellsworth said the owners of abandoned pipelines identified in this year’s inspections will have to comply with that rule, even if the lines went out of use before the rule was enacted.
That link goes to an article on million dollar homes... :shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline DB

There's a 24" high pressure natural gas pipeline 250' from my house... Makes me nervous if I think about it... Try not to...

Offline thackney

Offline thackney

There's a 24" high pressure natural gas pipeline 250' from my house... Makes me nervous if I think about it... Try not to...

That one is going to be DOT regulated and inspected/tested.

The problem for this case was the lines upstream of that.  When the wells became abandoned and associated lines were not properly shut down.

Offline Smokin Joe

C S Lewis