Author Topic: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay  (Read 99539 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay
« Reply #1350 on: October 09, 2017, 06:44:15 pm »
With a Class 2 ND CCW, there is no reciprocity in Minnesota and Illinois, and I'd be traveling through one or the other on most long trips. Because the destination state is the People's Republik of Maryland, I traveled with a 3 lb hammer next to me instead of my .45. It sucked, but frankly, I was more leery of the LEOs gigging me on a firearms charge in a routine stop or in the event I was involved in an accident than of any locals. In a scuffle, that hammer is a formidable blunt force weapon, though not as good as a firearm. The tactical machete was out, because some places get flaky over large knives, too.

You could get around charges on a machete, because they are classified as agricultural tools. However, some hard-ass LEO would probably give you a hard time about it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:44:38 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #1351 on: October 09, 2017, 06:46:31 pm »
With a Class 2 ND CCW, there is no reciprocity in Minnesota and Illinois, and I'd be traveling through one or the other on most long trips. Because the destination state is the People's Republik of Maryland, I traveled with a 3 lb hammer next to me instead of my .45. It sucked, but frankly, I was more leery of the LEOs gigging me on a firearms charge in a routine stop or in the event I was involved in an accident than of any locals. In a scuffle, that hammer is a formidable blunt force weapon, though not as good as a firearm. The tactical machete was out, because some places get flaky over large knives, too.

@Smokin Joe
I've driven through Illinois with firearms in the car but won't do it again.  I'll go around next time.  I have to go to Virginia next week and am driving instead of flying.  Will take a gun only because I'm not going to go to Maryland or DC itself.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #1352 on: October 09, 2017, 06:46:56 pm »

That's why I travel with the big white dog.  He looks all soft and fuzzy, but his business is protection and he takes that seriously.  The hammer is a good idea though.  Thanks.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #1353 on: October 09, 2017, 06:48:46 pm »

@Smokin Joe
Oh and in some states the fact you have a CCW shows up when they run your license.  Which may trigger a search in those states.

For some reason telling a cop that you have a CCW raises the perceived threat they face from you.   I don't understand why.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1354 on: October 09, 2017, 06:51:13 pm »

That's about the size of it.  I don't carry at all to the Hotel we go to sometimes because it's on the res, and those guys can't wait to bust white balls.  When I do carry to places I can, they always have a room safe, and the piece goes in there along with all my extra cash.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1355 on: October 09, 2017, 06:54:14 pm »
I traveled with a 3 lb hammer next to me instead of my .45.

LOL! Now there's a good choice... Somebody gets thumped with a 3lb anvil hammer, all they want to do is go home...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:54:35 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #1356 on: October 09, 2017, 06:55:44 pm »
That's about the size of it.  I don't carry at all to the Hotel we go to sometimes because it's on the res, and those guys can't wait to bust white balls.  When I do carry to places I can, they always have a room safe, and the piece goes in there along with all my extra cash.

@Cyber Liberty
I sometimes have to travel to Miami.   I'm armed as much as possible there.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1357 on: October 09, 2017, 06:59:14 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Miami?  Yeah, I'd call that prudent.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #1358 on: October 09, 2017, 07:08:55 pm »
During the top of the hour radio break, ABC news reported the rambling flake brother, Eric Paddock, was brought in for a second interview by the FBI.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1359 on: October 09, 2017, 07:15:50 pm »
Do they pat your groin, too, or is that extra? (Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but: Vegas!)

Once during a TSA patdown, I joked that this was the biggeat thrill I'd had in years. 

The agent was not amused.  Those people have no sense of humor.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1360 on: October 09, 2017, 07:16:31 pm »
@Smokin Joe
I've driven through Illinois with firearms in the car but won't do it again.  I'll go around next time.  I have to go to Virginia next week and am driving instead of flying.  Will take a gun only because I'm not going to go to Maryland or DC itself.
The kinfolk are in MD, and to go through MI, I have to cut through MN. Otherwise, it'd be head south for a long ways and head north on the other side. I just didn't feel like adding another 500+ miles to a 2000 mile trip (one way). I could leave the handgun at a trusted cousin's in VA, but that sort of defeats the purpose. The screwy part is that by traveling across some state line I'd become an instant felon (even though I have been background checked, fingerprinted, etc., but the illegals who travel here do so at will.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1361 on: October 09, 2017, 07:18:35 pm »
@Smokin Joe
Oh and in some states the fact you have a CCW shows up when they run your license.  Which may trigger a search in those states.

For some reason telling a cop that you have a CCW raises the perceived threat they face from you.   I don't understand why.
You are required to tell them here if you have a weapon on board and if you have a CCW. Here, it doesn't seem to upset them. Elsewhere, they've been watching too much teevee or something. Not all police are firearms enthusiasts. Some only shoot to qualify and don't do so for fun.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1362 on: October 09, 2017, 07:21:20 pm »
LOL! Now there's a good choice... Somebody gets thumped with a 3lb anvil hammer, all they want to do is go home...
Never underestimate the threat imposed by imminent blunt force trauma. A guy I knew who was a big Viking looking dude carried an Estwing camp axe handy in the cab. I just think the hammer is better in close quarters.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1363 on: October 09, 2017, 07:34:09 pm »
Never underestimate the threat imposed by imminent blunt force trauma. A guy I knew who was a big Viking looking dude carried an Estwing camp axe handy in the cab. I just think the hammer is better in close quarters.

Maybe a battery sawzall or something... :D

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #1364 on: October 09, 2017, 07:37:15 pm »

@Smokin Joe
Hammers are less likely to get hung up.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1365 on: October 09, 2017, 07:38:59 pm »

Too sloppy.  It would just RUIN the upholstery.
I will NOT comply.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1366 on: October 09, 2017, 07:55:39 pm »
In California, I don't know about now, it used to be a lesser violation to have a loaded gun in the car than a souvenir baseball bat. The gun would get you a misdemeanor while the toy bat was a felony, so a three pound hammer, tire iron, etc. would probably get you a felony rap too. My boss and I found this out when we accidently set off the shop alarm at 3AM just down the street from the Orange, CA. PD. The responding officer was training a rookie female  and was really playing it up, I thought my buddy was gonna get locked up when the cop saw the bat in his car and got attitude, my boss gave it right back. I told the cop I would take a misdemeanor and be safe any day, he agreed.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1367 on: October 09, 2017, 07:58:08 pm »
In California, I don't know about now, it used to be a lesser violation to have a loaded gun in the car than a souvenir baseball bat. The gun would get you a misdemeanor while the toy bat was a felony, so a three pound hammer, tire iron, etc. would probably get you a felony rap too. My boss and I found this out when we accidently set off the shop alarm at 3AM just down the street from the Orange, CA. PD. The responding officer was training a rookie female  and was really playing it up, I thought my buddy was gonna get locked up when the cop saw the bat in his car and got attitude, my boss gave it right back. I told the cop I would take a misdemeanor and be safe any day, he agreed.

A guy I knew in Texas found out the locals there take ax handles pretty seriously.
I will NOT comply.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #1368 on: October 09, 2017, 08:45:55 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1369 on: October 09, 2017, 08:58:24 pm »

Kewl!  Can you get a grenade launcher for that?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1370 on: October 09, 2017, 09:28:20 pm »
I have one of those. DeWalt 20vMax. Beautiful tool. But all the nasty bits that could come of that...and with the blood borne pathogen thing, I think the hammer is safer. (But, D@mn! That would be intimidating...)

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1371 on: October 09, 2017, 09:29:59 pm »
A guy I knew in Texas found out the locals there take ax handles pretty seriously.
Pick handles have more heft...jus' sayin'. They used to be considered a fine Southern educational device and have been used on occasion to heighten 'social awareness'... :nometalk:

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1372 on: October 09, 2017, 09:31:35 pm »
I always have an assortment of tools in the cab. I can always say the hammer is just one of the pile.

C S Lewis

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1373 on: October 09, 2017, 10:28:19 pm »
Strange new information at today's presser. The sheriff stated that Jesus Campos, the hotel security called a hero for stopping the shooter from continuing his massacre. was actually shot at 9:59 PM just before the massacre even started at 10:05.

Mysteriouser and mysteriouser....
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1374 on: October 09, 2017, 10:42:28 pm »
@austingirl

You're right.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-vegas-shooting-20171009-story.html

So why was the security guard at or near Paddock's room prior to the shooting?