Author Topic: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay  (Read 99522 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay
« Reply #900 on: October 05, 2017, 01:07:40 am »
I also doubt this guy had two nickles to rub together.

The report I just saw said that he had a dozen weapons, and thousands of rounds.

That's a lot of money. 20 to 30 thousand $$$ to pull this off.

And someone taught him how to hinder law enforcement.

He WILL turn out to be a Nancy Pelosi loving Leftist wacko. I have no doubt of that.
But the money and the training, where did that come from?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #901 on: October 05, 2017, 01:22:17 am »
This is the subject I was trying to broach the other day but just yelled and screamed instead.  This article is from a couple of years ago.

Are mass shootings the new normal for America?

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/about/article/Are-mass-shootings-the-new-normal-for-America-6674539.php

How much more freedom are people going to be willing to give up if it means greater security? And how will that increased security actually stop something like this? It won't, if it is governmental in nature.

I have some other thoughts on this but I am exhausted.

The big lie about these incidents is the high rate of ownership, easy access to weapons, 'lax' gun laws, and magazine capacity/rate of fire makes these incidents more likely - perhaps inevitable.

Wrong.  Places that have more restrictive gun laws still experience these incidents.  See Utoya, Norway, Charlie Hebdo, and Beslan as examples.

Interestingly enough, one of the places with the highest rates of gun possession per capita (including fully automatic weapons) has one of the lowest rates of gun crime - Switzerland.

Even Snopes had to concur.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/switzerland.asp
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:24:13 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #902 on: October 05, 2017, 01:25:54 am »

The report I just saw said that he had a dozen weapons, and thousands of rounds.

That's a lot of money. 20 to 30 thousand $$$ to pull this off.

And someone taught him how to hinder law enforcement.

He WILL turn out to be a Nancy Pelosi loving Leftist wacko. I have no doubt of that.
But the money and the training, where did that come from?

If the suspect was really a multi-millionaire (having made money through gambling and real estate as reported), $20K to $30K would likely be in the noise, even less if he was planning on dying.  This guy seems pretty smart to me.  He may have done some simple internet research:  how to hinder law enforcement in a sniper situation, how to set up video cameras, how best to break hotel windows, which guns are the best weapons from a sniper perch?  If I had to guess, I'd say this guy is mentally ill, but I certainly wouldn't say definitely "he WILL turn out" to be anything.  What I will say, is let's let the investigation play out to see what "he WILL turn out" to be.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #903 on: October 05, 2017, 01:43:14 am »
Another DEAD Leftist wacko. Let them all die. If you want to kill yourself, then do it.

The tragedy can never be undone no matter what. But knowing that this Mu-Frkr is dead, that is at least some comfort. Die you bleep, die and die, the fact that he killed himself is icing on the cake.

In the afterlife, you cannot go out in a worse way than this piece of shit put on himself.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #904 on: October 05, 2017, 01:55:49 am »
But, Whitman wasn't a "normal guy" long before he went to the Tower.
No he wasn't. My doctor told me a lot of people have tumors which they never know about.  I bet even people who behave normally.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline musiclady

« Reply #905 on: October 05, 2017, 03:13:42 am »
Charles Whitman had a pecan sized brain tumor.  The findings were mixed, but neuroscience was at a different level then.

I tell ya............. they've known about this stuff since Phineas Gage......

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #906 on: October 05, 2017, 03:16:23 am »
Las Vegas Strip shooter targeted aviation fuel tanks, source says
By Jeff German ©2017, Las Vegas Review-Journal
October 4, 2017 - 6:27 pm

Las Vegas Strip mass murderer Stephen Paddock used his Mandalay Bay hotel room to fire bullets at jet fuel tanks Sunday night, a knowledgeable source told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The bullets left two holes in one of two circular white tanks. One of the bullets penetrated the tank, but did not cause a fire or explosion near the Route 91 Harvest country music festival, another knowledgeable source said late Wednesday.

The tanks are roughly 1,100 feet from the concert site, where Paddock killed 58 people and wounded almost 500.

[...]

Excerpt.

I bet they'll find a lot of other stray-round impacts elsewhere.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #907 on: October 05, 2017, 04:22:42 am »
Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) claims the attacker who opened fire on Las Vegas concert goers was only stopped “because he didn’t have a silencer on his weapon.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/10/04/tim-kaine-vegas-attacker-stopped-because-he-didnt-have-a-silencer/

I guess he believes he's still on the trail, echoing Hillary.  A suppressor only makes it quieter, not silent.  Besides, he wasn't using subsonic ammo, so the report would still be quite loud and the muzzle flash still visible.  Also, the volume of fire filled his room with smoke and set off the detectors.  What a clown.
Kaine is a pantload. The broken windows and smoke alarm going off pinpointed the shooter. Sure, noise helped, too, but shooting the Hotel security guard who came to the door to investigate the smoke alarm pinpointed the guy.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #908 on: October 05, 2017, 04:46:16 am »
Las Vegas Strip shooter targeted aviation fuel tanks, source says
By Jeff German ©2017, Las Vegas Review-Journal
October 4, 2017 - 6:27 pm

Las Vegas Strip mass murderer Stephen Paddock used his Mandalay Bay hotel room to fire bullets at jet fuel tanks Sunday night, a knowledgeable source told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The bullets left two holes in one of two circular white tanks. One of the bullets penetrated the tank, but did not cause a fire or explosion near the Route 91 Harvest country music festival, another knowledgeable source said late Wednesday.

Err..... bullets do not set tanks on fire like in the Rambo movies.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #909 on: October 05, 2017, 05:19:36 am »
Err..... bullets do not set tanks on fire like in the Rambo movies.
Two hits on something the sizr of a bulk tank at 1100 ft?

Out of hundreds, if not a few thousand rounds?

Someone is a sh*tty shot, if that was the target.

Most likely flyers from shooting at the crowd (muzzle climb), and likely examination of the ground/buildings between the concert venue and the fuel tanks will turn up a few more bullet strikes.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #910 on: October 05, 2017, 05:26:27 am »
If the suspect was really a multi-millionaire (having made money through gambling and real estate as reported), $20K to $30K would likely be in the noise, even less if he was planning on dying.  This guy seems pretty smart to me.  He may have done some simple internet research:  how to hinder law enforcement in a sniper situation, how to set up video cameras, how best to break hotel windows, which guns are the best weapons from a sniper perch?  If I had to guess, I'd say this guy is mentally ill, but I certainly wouldn't say definitely "he WILL turn out" to be anything.  What I will say, is let's let the investigation play out to see what "he WILL turn out" to be.

Doesn't seem that smart to me. If he was planning on dying and his goal was to kill the maximum number of people with the tools he had he knows how to fly and had access to aircraft. Had he flown a plane into that crowed he would have killed and maimed far more.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #911 on: October 05, 2017, 05:36:25 am »
Doesn't seem that smart to me. If he was planning on dying and his goal was to kill the maximum number of people with the tools he had he knows how to fly and had access to aircraft. Had he flown a plane into that crowed he would have killed and maimed far more.
Even playing with simulators you might find that hitting a spot on the ground is more difficult than it seems, especially when the approach has those buildings in the way (and other clutter). He may have been an adequate pilot but no crop duster.

A plane crash could have plenty of alternate explanations, but shooting up a crowd has shock value, is an undeniable terrorist act (unless some other attribution is given to the behaviour), and if the first few rounds miss, there is ample opportunity to shift fire and correct that.

With a plane he would have only one shot.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:36:58 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #912 on: October 05, 2017, 11:51:08 am »
Kaine is a pantload. The broken windows and smoke alarm going off pinpointed the shooter. Sure, noise helped, too, but shooting the Hotel security guard who came to the door to investigate the smoke alarm pinpointed the guy.

It probably helped more to let those under fire realize they were under fire quicker.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #913 on: October 05, 2017, 12:14:19 pm »
Sheriff: Hard to Believe Las Vegas Gunman Planned Attack Alone

Possible accomplices?

Meanwhile, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Sheriff Joe Lombardo said it is crucial to talk to anyone who knew gunman Stephen Paddock in the hunt for possible accomplices.

Considering the number of weapons Paddock collected and explosives he had stockpiled in his car, Lombardo told reporters he finds it hard to believe Paddock could have carried out the massacre on his own.

Lombardo said there were signs in Paddock’s hotel room that he planned to escape after his shooting rampage.

Read more at: https://www.voanews.com/a/sheriff-hard-to-believe-las-vegas-gunman-planned-attack-alone/4057301.html

Offline edpc

« Reply #914 on: October 05, 2017, 12:14:58 pm »
It probably helped more to let those under fire realize they were under fire quicker.

Hard to say, because many people - based on eyewitness reports and commentary on video of the shooting - initially believed it was fireworks.  When you watch cell phone video of the concert, the noise you're hearing is the snapping of incoming rounds breaking the sound barrier.  The actual gunfire is much more muffled anyway due to distance, concert noise, and potential wind direction.  Without subsonic ammo, all a suppressor does with military ammo is change it from deafening to loud.  Quieter at distance, to be sure, but people around the hotel plaza would still hear it easily.

Offline verga

« Reply #915 on: October 05, 2017, 12:18:13 pm »
There is a difference between being a self-centered SOB and a mass murderer.
@AbaraXas Hey Myst said you couldn't call me names anymore  8888crybaby
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline thackney

« Reply #916 on: October 05, 2017, 12:27:23 pm »
Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) claims the attacker who opened fire on Las Vegas concert goers was only stopped “because he didn’t have a silencer on his weapon.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/10/04/tim-kaine-vegas-attacker-stopped-because-he-didnt-have-a-silencer/

I guess he believes he's still on the trail, echoing Hillary.  A suppressor only makes it quieter, not silent.  Besides, he wasn't using subsonic ammo, so the report would still be quite loud and the muzzle flash still visible.  Also, the volume of fire filled his room with smoke and set off the detectors.  What a clown.

Because reducing the sound level from a Jet Engine to a mere Jack Hammer would be to difficult to detect?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #917 on: October 05, 2017, 12:34:44 pm »

Apparently, he also is responsible for the end of the shooting. The shooter thought the cops were there and offed himself
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #918 on: October 05, 2017, 12:42:54 pm »
Actually, I don't think they realized they were under fire until people started getting hit.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #919 on: October 05, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »
So, on the news this morning was the statement that law enforcement thinks he may have had help.

Offline edpc

« Reply #920 on: October 05, 2017, 01:06:29 pm »
So, on the news this morning was the statement that law enforcement thinks he may have had help.

No, it's the sheriff's personal speculation he had help, at this point.  He also says signs point to Paddock planning to escape, but doesn't elaborate.  The guy's in danger of crossing into Chief Moose territory.  Just give us solid facts, as they become available.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #921 on: October 05, 2017, 01:12:08 pm »
They are already guarding a lot of information from the public. So, there should be a total blackout? No thanks.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #922 on: October 05, 2017, 01:13:57 pm »
No, it's the sheriff's personal speculation he had help, at this point.  He also says signs point to Paddock planning to escape, but doesn't elaborate.  The guy's in danger of crossing into Chief Moose territory.  Just give us solid facts, as they become available.

STEPHEN Paddock could have spent more than 20 years plotting his devastating attack on innocent people in Las Vegas, police have revealed.

By Vincent Wood

PUBLISHED: 00:58, Thu, Oct 5, 2017 | UPDATED: 07:37, Thu, Oct 5, 2017

Lombardo: Stephen Paddock spent decades acquiring weapons

Officials also believe Paddock may not have acted alone.

Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said: “At face value he had to have some help at some point and we want to ensure that that’s the answer

“Maybe he was a superhuman who figured this out all on his own but it would be hard for me to believe that.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/862496/Las-Vegas-shooter-motive-killer-mass-murderer-Stephen-Paddock-Marilou-Danley-FBI-gun

Offline TomSea

« Reply #923 on: October 05, 2017, 01:14:47 pm »
Obviously, the Sheriff could have said something like this in case, someone out in the public saw anything, this guy with some other person, meeting in some clandestine place.  No, I don't think the Sheriff was just infowars speculating on the case.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #924 on: October 05, 2017, 01:15:45 pm »
Hinting there may be more to this might bring out evidence that people would otherwise ignore if they thought this was an open and shut case. If people think it is solved, they might have seen something that is significant but blow it off because the case is solved in their mind and it could not have meant anything.
However, if they don't think it is closed, some little thing they noticed might come to light that will give new leads into accomplices or motive.

C S Lewis