Author Topic: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay  (Read 99526 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay
« Reply #600 on: October 03, 2017, 02:40:09 am »
For all those in entertainment, politics, and social media calling for US gun control, here's a list of mass shootings in places where gun laws are very strict or total.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers_(Europe)
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #601 on: October 03, 2017, 02:46:37 am »
Dear Mark Kelly and Gabby Giffords...

With all due respect...STFU on your gun grabber bullsh*t.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

« Reply #602 on: October 03, 2017, 02:56:26 am »
Criminy.....I've seen documentaries of tiny VC women handling an AK better than that.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #603 on: October 03, 2017, 02:57:34 am »
Criminy.....I've seen documentaries of tiny VC women handling an AK better than that.

That's a good way to end up with a bruise on your shoulder if you fire it that way.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

« Reply #604 on: October 03, 2017, 03:03:47 am »
That's a good way to end up with a bruise on your shoulder if you fire it that way.

Your ass, too.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #605 on: October 03, 2017, 03:12:42 am »
This guy may have been:

One of the 15% of the folks who view life in the USA today through the prism of the politics of the right and who was in the even smaller minority that desperately wants a spark for CW2.  Attacking a country western concert in his mind would surely will be blamed on the left, would spark CW2... he would go out in glory.

One of the 15% of the folks who view life in the USA today through the prism of the politics of the left, one that desperately wants a spark for CW2.  Attacking a country western concert in his mind would surely will be blamed on the left, igniting the right and would spark CW2... he would go out in glory.

One of the rest of the country acting in his own percieved self interest. I don't think he was acting from a political motivation. The guy was a nut case maybe, but it seems to me this shooter, a professional gambler, may have had a problem with the Mandalay Bay and the other MGM properties. I suspect the motivation was to do whatever he could to put them out of business....

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #606 on: October 03, 2017, 03:45:06 am »

@txradioguy Meet Col Martha McSally, standing in front of one her most important friends, AKA "Warthog."  She is the current occupant of Gifford's former Congressional seat.  I bet she's a better shot.  This gal doesn't pose with weapons of war, she flies them.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DB

« Reply #607 on: October 03, 2017, 06:32:28 am »
Regarding guns and killing people, the shooter had a pilots license and could have easily flown a plane into the same densely packed crowd and killed and maimed far more people. That's the reality of it all.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #608 on: October 03, 2017, 07:28:01 am »
Your ass, too.
Posture counts, just like my grandma said....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #609 on: October 03, 2017, 07:30:33 am »
Regarding guns and killing people, the shooter had a pilots license and could have easily flown a plane into the same densely packed crowd and killed and maimed far more people. That's the reality of it all.
Yeah, but then the Dems would be howling to ban.....guns.
Tim McVeigh blew up a building in OK with a rental truck and fertilizer, and the Dems wanted to ban guns...

Same Song, Different Day.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #610 on: October 03, 2017, 11:00:21 am »
Some idiot reporter just asked if Jason Aldean should have told people to duck and asked if by not saying anything before he ran off stage more lives were lost.   *****rollingeyes*****

@txradioguy

I can't stand these people.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #611 on: October 03, 2017, 11:28:40 am »
@txradioguy

I can't stand these people.
Me neither. By then, people were already bugging out if they could, crouching or seeking cover, and helping the wounded to cover. Liberals looking for someone else to blame, again.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #612 on: October 03, 2017, 11:31:11 am »
Me neither. By then, people were already bugging out if they could, crouching or seeking cover, and helping the wounded to cover. Liberals looking for someone else to blame, again.

@Smokin Joe

I doubt if some guy shouting from the stage would have made any difference in that panic situation.  He's probably thanking God he wasn't taken out as an easy target.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #613 on: October 03, 2017, 11:36:11 am »
@Smokin Joe

I doubt if some guy shouting from the stage would have made any difference in that panic situation.  He's probably thanking God he wasn't taken out as an easy target.
Imho, the shooter was aiming at an area target, not individuals. This had none of the precision of a sniper attack, but the sledgehammer effect of a machine gun on a crowd.
In a spy novel, that might cover for a sniper taking out a specific individual to make it look coincidental, but in real life, I think it just is what it is: one evil sonufabitch crapping on people who were having fun, in the worst way.

As cut and dried as this seems to be, I doubt anyone will run comparative ballistics on recovered bullets to see if they all came from weapons in the room.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:37:41 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #614 on: October 03, 2017, 11:36:39 am »
@Smokin Joe

If he's not, he should be.

Silver Pines

« Reply #615 on: October 03, 2017, 11:44:30 am »
Imho, the shooter was aiming at an area target, not individuals. This had none of the precision of a sniper attack, but the sledgehammer effect of a machine gun on a crowd.
In a spy novel, that might cover for a sniper taking out a specific individual to make it look coincidental, but in real life, I think it just is what it is: one evil sonufabitch crapping on people who were having fun, in the worst way.

As cut and dried as this seems to be, I doubt anyone will run comparative ballistics on recovered bullets to see if they all came from weapons in the room.

@Smokin Joe

Agree that he was just firing into the crowd to achieve maximum carnage.  But I think a man standing onstage and illuminated by bright lights would have been an easy target.  He was more exposed and vulnerable than anyone else.

Silver Pines

« Reply #616 on: October 03, 2017, 11:46:20 am »
If he's not, he should be.

@Sanguine

Absolutely.  I think I would be lying facedown and thanking Him.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #617 on: October 03, 2017, 12:05:22 pm »
Does that Jones' pals on FNC are about to go there as well.  Bring ISIS to the table. 
Always seeking to defend the muslim ban in the USA.
Sad, pathetic losers.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #618 on: October 03, 2017, 12:06:02 pm »
I'm thinking now about what the economic impact upon Las Vegas will be.  Tourism is THE industry there, and without tourism, the economy will be in the toilet.. Tourists who were in Vegas when this happened (but not necessarily at the show) were saying they were cutting their vacations short and heading home.  One couple which had been married in Vegas over the weekend said they were headed to a beach in California for the remainder of their honeymoon.  I would imagine that some tourists with plans to visit Vegas might be rethinking their vacations.  People might be thinking the city is too dangerous. 

On the other hand, if tourists decide to stay away, anyone brave enough to venture to Vegas might be able to take advantage of some deep discounts .  Shortly before 9/11, a friend and I had made plans to head to Vegas that October.   Although my friend was uneasy about flying, I convinced her to go and we had a wonderful time.  We had already reserved a basic room  at the Tropicana, but when  we checked in, I asked the clerk what it would cost to upgrade.  She gave us a much more luxurious room for the same price as the basic room we had reserved.  Shows and meals were discounted.  I budgeted a certain amount of money for the trip, and even after playing the slots, meals, shows, shopping and what not, I spent maybe half of what I had budgeted.

An incident like this could be a boon to travelers, but I believe it's going to hurt Vegas  a lot.

Online DB

« Reply #619 on: October 03, 2017, 12:06:32 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Agree that he was just firing into the crowd to achieve maximum carnage.  But I think a man standing onstage and illuminated by bright lights would have been an easy target.  He was more exposed and vulnerable than anyone else.

I don't think the shooter had a clear view of the stage front where the performers normally are. the shooter was behind, above and to the side of the stage. I also very much doubt that the shooter had much accuracy from that distance with a machine gun. He was simply spraying bullets towards the crowd.

I also think the singer had little idea what was happening like everyone else. Something was wrong and it was time to go. There was nothing he could say to change the situation short of possibly making it worse by telling everyone to run.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #620 on: October 03, 2017, 12:10:08 pm »
@Smokin Joe

While he is more exposed, he is no easier a target as any other specific individual.

A trained shooter (sniper or decent hunter) should have been able to hit an individual at that range with a scoped rifle, and if your eyes are younger than mine, even iron sights.

It appears he was shooting full auto, and more going for hosing down the crowd than any specific individual, an act which significantly increases the casualty count. All he had to do was direct his fire into the largest concentrations of people to get maximum effect without precision.

So someone standing there might feel more 'naked' but in reality, their odds of being hit are likely a little less, because the shooter was going for center of mass of the crowd.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #621 on: October 03, 2017, 12:17:57 pm »
Sad if that idiot Texan on the radio, Alex Jones is exploiting this situation.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:24:57 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #622 on: October 03, 2017, 12:24:40 pm »
Does that Jones' pals on FNC are about to go there as well.  Bring ISIS to the table. 
Always seeking to defend the muslim ban in the USA.
Sad, pathetic losers.

Yes, let's criticize Fox and reporters but let's never criticize the actual culprit of this act, Padgett. That's a winner.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #623 on: October 03, 2017, 12:29:28 pm »
While he is more exposed, he is no easier a target as any other specific individual.

A trained shooter (sniper or decent hunter) should have been able to hit an individual at that range with a scoped rifle, and if your eyes are younger than mine, even iron sights.

It appears he was shooting full auto, and more going for hosing down the crowd than any specific individual, an act which significantly increases the casualty count. All he had to do was direct his fire into the largest concentrations of people to get maximum effect without precision.

So someone standing there might feel more 'naked' but in reality, their odds of being hit are likely a little less, because the shooter was going for center of mass of the crowd.

Newsmax is saying he used a bump stock.  That would explain the explain the full auto sound with a rather slow fire rate.  Those devices wreck your accuracy though.
https://www.newsmax.com/Headline/US-Las-Vegas-Shooting/2017/10/03/id/817236/
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #624 on: October 03, 2017, 12:30:22 pm »
Watched on CNBC where the reporter asked the gun rights expert, "what do you tell the families of the 59 people killed in Las Vegas", the idiot said "well, my kids are good shots".   9999hair out0000