Author Topic: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay  (Read 99812 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay
« Reply #375 on: October 02, 2017, 06:21:26 pm »
I don't know. He DIDN'T go after LEOs approaching, so no...

I'd say maybe just to get ventilation to get the fire alarm to quit screaming... But that can't be... Police reports specify two separate nests. There was a purpose to it, and I don't understand it.

@roamer_1
He apparently had cameras in the hallway so he probably knew the cops were there.   The cops used explosives to enter the room, something he may not have anticipated.  It might have thrown him off.  If so good, otherwise we'd be hearing complaints about how the cops shot him.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #376 on: October 02, 2017, 06:21:38 pm »
That seems to be a very large room..

He was a high roller. That would have most likely been a suite.

Example:

Offline ABX

« Reply #377 on: October 02, 2017, 06:24:06 pm »
Well, according to Pamela Geller, it was him at the anti-Trump protest.  She added that Lockheed Martin had NASA contracts, which could explain the "NASA" shirt he's wearing.

Seriously, that is one very, very blurry video with zero evidence it is him other than it looks like a million other old guys. That could have been Paul Krugman or Jeff Bridges for all we know in that video.

Someone like her making that conclusive statement is very, very irresponsible.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #378 on: October 02, 2017, 06:24:28 pm »
He was a high roller. That would have most likely been a suite.

Comped, too, if he was a big enough gambler.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:25:08 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #379 on: October 02, 2017, 06:25:08 pm »

Based on the pictures I've seen, the one window angle may have been somewhat obstructed by the large concert screen.  The corner window didn't seem to be as much.  Also, the crowd would most likely move directly away from the stage, into his second field of fire.

Alright, I'd say, except two nests. If he got all set up, and was running out of targets, and moved to the secondary, it would have been an ad-hock/impromptu/make do station. He purposefully built two nests.

He's got some hunting experience, so that explains the high perch, but predicting a requirement for two seems odd.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #380 on: October 02, 2017, 06:25:08 pm »
No, I have a nephew born almost the same date and he looks like a kid.  People look younger than they used to.

True.  Some people don't look their age, but in this case, I think the photo of an older man that is being circulated is him.  Presumably, he was identified from his driver's license photo. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #381 on: October 02, 2017, 06:25:23 pm »
Prayers for all of the dead, 58 last count I saw,

515 injured, that's one heckuva high toll also. Over half a thousand.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #382 on: October 02, 2017, 06:27:33 pm »
Seriously, that is one very, very blurry video with zero evidence it is him other than it looks like a million other old guys. That could have been Paul Krugman or Jeff Bridges for all we know in that video.

Someone like her making that conclusive statement is very, very irresponsible.

Someone in public needs to be cautious but I don't.  That definitely looks like him in the video and I think it will eventually be proven to be him
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

« Reply #383 on: October 02, 2017, 06:29:04 pm »
Alright, I'd say, except two nests. If he got all set up, and was running out of targets, and moved to the secondary, it would have been an ad-hock/impromptu/make do station. He purposefully built two nests.

He's got some hunting experience, so that explains the high perch, but predicting a requirement for two seems odd.

Well, he had been there since last Thursday and the concert was a multi-day event.  He had plenty of time to watch/study entries, exits, crowd movement, and security.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:29:25 pm by edpc »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #384 on: October 02, 2017, 06:33:57 pm »
@roamer_1
He apparently had cameras in the hallway so he probably knew the cops were there.   The cops used explosives to enter the room, something he may not have anticipated.  It might have thrown him off.  If so good, otherwise we'd be hearing complaints about how the cops shot him.
Already at least one news agency said this shooting mimicked the 1966 UT tower shooting in which Charles Whitman gunned down dozens, killing many.  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/02/las-vegas-massacre-recalls-similar-slaughter-texas-clock-tower-shooting.html

No one complained on the police taking him out with one officer unloading his revolver and another with a shotgun.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #385 on: October 02, 2017, 06:34:20 pm »
Dana Perino said moments ago that Paddock was known to LEO......then went to the WH press briefing

That is the most significant item, I have seen yet about him.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

« Reply #386 on: October 02, 2017, 06:34:23 pm »
Someone in public needs to be cautious but I don't.  That definitely looks like him in the video and I think it will eventually be proven to be him

I just find all the speculation that this was just some hopped up liberal at this point as irresponsible as MSNBC saying this was a Tea Party member or right wing gun nut. We just don't know.

Also, no offense, but I fail to understand how anyone can say with any certainty that the man in the video is the shooter. All you can tell from the blurry video is he is a middle aged or older man with possibly gray hair. That could be a million other people in the area and 50 million people in the country that fits that description.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #387 on: October 02, 2017, 06:34:36 pm »
Well, according to Pamela Geller, it was him at the anti-Trump protest.  She added that Lockheed Martin had NASA contracts, which could explain the "NASA" shirt he's wearing.

Wasn't he with Lockheed (not Lockheed Martin) for only 3 years in the 80s?

Pamela Geller isn't what I'd consider a great source.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #388 on: October 02, 2017, 06:35:02 pm »

Based on the pictures I've seen, the one window angle may have been somewhat obstructed by the large concert screen.  The corner window didn't seem to be as much.  Also, the crowd would most likely move directly away from the stage, into his second field of fire.

Those days he spent in the room prior to last night would have given him ample time to see the ingress and egress patters of the crowds when the daily concerts were over so as to better know which way the people would head once the gunfire began.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #389 on: October 02, 2017, 06:35:52 pm »
Already at least one news agency said this shooting mimicked the 1966 UT tower shooting in which Charles Whitman gunned down dozens, killing many.  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/02/las-vegas-massacre-recalls-similar-slaughter-texas-clock-tower-shooting.html

No one complained on the police taking him out with one officer unloading his revolver and another with a shotgun.

And it was a civilian with a rifle from the CMP that went up the tower, too, and drew the gunman's attention, saving a cop from getting ambushed, IIRC.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Applewood

« Reply #390 on: October 02, 2017, 06:36:12 pm »
Prayers for all of the dead, 58 last count I saw,

515 injured, that's one heckuva high toll also. Over half a thousand.

Indeed.  Of course, the alphabet networks are proclaiming this as the worst mass shooting tragedy ever in the US.  Don't mind that except that some of these news readers almost sound gleeful when they say it.

Offline edpc

« Reply #391 on: October 02, 2017, 06:37:32 pm »
Those days he spent in the room prior to last night would have given him ample time to see the ingress and egress patters of the crowds when the daily concerts were over so as to better know which way the people would head once the gunfire began.

Agreed.  I speculated the same a few posts above, #387.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:38:26 pm by edpc »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #392 on: October 02, 2017, 06:37:45 pm »
A sick evil bastard, I hope he rots in hell.

I hope that at the last minute, he repented and asked for forgiveness by grace.
+++++++++

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #393 on: October 02, 2017, 06:38:49 pm »
From a friend of mine that lives in Vegas:

One of the Facebook "I'm safe" pages has all kinds of Vegas residents offering shelter & rides as many could not return to their hotel or have family in hospitals now.

I sure hope that gets reported on the news. Too many times the individual acts of human kindness and decency never get covered.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #394 on: October 02, 2017, 06:39:45 pm »
Agreed.  I speculated the same a few posts above, #387.

My apologies.  This is a fast moving thread and I'm missing some of the posts.

Offline ABX

« Reply #396 on: October 02, 2017, 06:40:52 pm »
Indeed.  Of course, the alphabet networks are proclaiming this as the worst mass shooting tragedy ever in the US.  Don't mind that except that some of these news readers almost sound gleeful when they say it.

Which it wasn't. The Colfax Massacre was, but I guess the media doesn't count it because the victims were all African Americans.

Also, let's not forget Wounded Knee.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:42:44 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline edpc

« Reply #397 on: October 02, 2017, 06:42:25 pm »

Something that is not often discussed in the UT shooting incident was the fact students had rifles in their vehicles and were shooting back.  That kept Whitman occupied, under cover, and unable to shoot more people.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #398 on: October 02, 2017, 06:44:28 pm »

@IsailedawayfromFR
A lot of things have changed since 1966.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #399 on: October 02, 2017, 06:46:06 pm »
From a friend of mine that lives in Vegas:

I sure hope that gets reported on the news. Too many times the individual acts of human kindness and decency never get covered.

Some of these stories are being reported.  Saw one interview of a man and woman who put some of the injured into the back of their pickup truck and sped them to the hospital.  Other motorists took in those fleeing the venue.  And there are reports of some military using their bodies to shield some of the concertgoers. 

There are still some good people out there.