Author Topic: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay  (Read 99521 times)

Offline jpsb

Re: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay
« Reply #250 on: October 02, 2017, 04:13:55 pm »
NBC News‏Verified account @NBCNews 14m14 minutes ago

BREAKING: FBI says they have determined that there is no connection between the Las Vegas shooter and an international terror group

They also determined that Hillary broke no laws and that Trump colluded with the Russians. I don't believe anything the FBI says.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #251 on: October 02, 2017, 04:14:31 pm »
@mystery-ak

Sorry, but I don't trust Infowars, although I'm sure there are some sick people out there who are rejoicing over this tragedy.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #252 on: October 02, 2017, 04:14:50 pm »
NBC News‏Verified account @NBCNews 14m14 minutes ago

BREAKING: FBI says they have determined that there is no connection between the Las Vegas shooter and an international terror group

Very misleading- the FBI hedged by saying "determined to this point no connection with international terrorist group and as the investigation continues we will continue to work with our partners to make sure that is factual...."

That NBC reporter is really making a leap- does anyone believe that they have investigated Paddock's entire life, the several places he's lived where he owned homes at which he was rarely present- which is strange? It is way too early to have a hard and fast motive.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #253 on: October 02, 2017, 04:14:59 pm »
How is it someone can break out a window on the 32nd floor of a hotel ... and no one knows this?  (Sorry if this seems like a silly question .. but it's just bothering me so much)

How can no one identify the room once the shooting starts?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: President Trump's Remarks On Shooting in Nevada: Oct 2, 2017
« Reply #254 on: October 02, 2017, 04:15:18 pm »
It was amazing to watch, very spiritual.

Offline CSM

« Reply #255 on: October 02, 2017, 04:15:39 pm »
He could have gone after a country music crowd but I'd think more likely, he was just shooting at an open crowd; is it any wonder, it would take awhile to find him and if the music was loud, you might not be aware for awhile what was going on.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41466116 (link)

Now, we will have to rethink about large gatherings per security.

3 football fields away and I saw another excerpt, 400 yards away.

A lot of unconfirmed info out there, 2 windows broken out, 110 feet separate from each other. I don't know if I believe that.

One sees from the graphic, how easy it would be to cause havoc in this manner.

Either the picture is creating an optical illusion, or a skewed perspective or the target area is a very long ways away from the hotel. 

Does anyone here know how far that is?  It appears to me to be in the neighborhood of a 1,000 yard shot.  I wish I had paid more attention in High School Geometry....

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #256 on: October 02, 2017, 04:16:51 pm »
One reporter talked about one hospital as being especially trained and equipped to handle mass casualties, but even that hospital is having trouble keeping up with treating the injured.  I doubt anyone can be that prepared for something like this.

You can't, completely.  Mass casualties, by definition, overwhelm the staff and facility capacity.  It takes a great amount of communication and organization at the scene to triage, prioritize, and distribute patients to facilities.  I worked at a Baltimore hospital in 1987 when an Amtrak and freight train collided.  They only had around a dozen dead and 150 injured in that accident and it was still chaotic.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #257 on: October 02, 2017, 04:17:28 pm »
How is it someone can break out a window on the 32nd floor of a hotel ... and no one knows this?  (Sorry if this seems like a silly question .. but it's just bothering me so much)

Posted earlier: I think it would not be too hard to bust out a window and shoot from that location and maybe this was at night too.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41466116

Offline verga

« Reply #258 on: October 02, 2017, 04:18:57 pm »
They did when I was in high school, and it wasn't in the 1950s. I graduated HS in the 90s. We had hunting safety class and it wasn't unusual for someone to bring a hunting rifle to class to learn how to properly clean it. During deer season, you would often see rifles on racks in truck windows in the school parking lot. The rule was keep it unloaded, keep your vehicle locked.
Where I taught, getting a deer or two was the difference between having meat on the table of going hungry. On several occasions I had students called out of class to go home because "The cows got out of the fence."
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #259 on: October 02, 2017, 04:19:22 pm »
Either the picture is creating an optical illusion, or a skewed perspective or the target area is a very long ways away from the hotel. 

Does anyone here know how far that is?  It appears to me to be in the neighborhood of a 1,000 yard shot.  I wish I had paid more attention in High School Geometry....

3 football fields, one quote I saw said 400 yards. I hope that is what you are asking.

So, I imagine, this person spraying the crowd randomly.

Also, maybe some trampling deaths? Fox News did show some video of the folks running away but nothing about "trampling deaths" that can happen.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #260 on: October 02, 2017, 04:19:51 pm »
It's a good speech and I like when Trump's speeches are prepared for him.  He sounds presidential.  It's just that left to his own devices, he comes off badly. 

Of course, no one is as bad as Obama was. I bet if this tragedy occurred during his reign, Obama would be apologizing to terrorists or something.   And he too would be using this opportunity to advance more gun control.  The guy was absolutely no comfort in a sad situation like this.

Offline verga

« Reply #261 on: October 02, 2017, 04:20:23 pm »
Paul Joseph Watson‏Verified account @PrisonPlanet 4h4 hours ago

Leftist Teacher Celebrates “White Trump Supporters” Being Killed in Las Vegas Massacre - https://www.infowars.com/leftist-teacher-celebrates-white-trump-supporters-being-killed-in-las-vegas-massacre/

She needs to be fired, on the spot, no appeal.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #262 on: October 02, 2017, 04:20:46 pm »
By the way, thanks for posting the link @Right_in_Virginia

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2017, 04:20:58 pm »

I've watched some of the YOUTUBE videos of this attack and did not notice any muzzle flash from the Mandalay which featured prominently in the videos. People were saying it was the sound system or fireworks. The sound is that of automatic fire, then shooting stops while he reloads or gets another weapon. Several periods of shooting- unmistakable sound IMO.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2017, 04:21:02 pm »
Paul Joseph Watson‏Verified account @PrisonPlanet 4h4 hours ago

Leftist Teacher Celebrates “White Trump Supporters” Being Killed in Las Vegas Massacre - https://www.infowars.com/leftist-teacher-celebrates-white-trump-supporters-being-killed-in-las-vegas-massacre/

Words fail me.  They just fail me.   **nononono*

Offline TomSea

« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2017, 04:21:13 pm »
3 football fields, this has been well reported in the news; he really was far away. Anyone can hunt down the details if they don't believe.  That's why this would have been hard to get the killer right off the bat. It's actually an effective ploy to create such mayhem.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2017, 04:22:32 pm »

Words fail me.  They just fail me.   **nononono*
Spooky, who replied to that, has what appears to be the correct words...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #267 on: October 02, 2017, 04:22:38 pm »
I've watched some of the YOUTUBE videos of this attack and did not notice any muzzle flash from the Mandalay which featured prominently in the videos. People were saying it was the sound system or fireworks. The sound is that of automatic fire, then shooting stops while he reloads or gets another weapon. Several periods of shooting- unmistakable sound IMO.

But no one .. no security crew ... within the hotel could locate this guy?  (I'm not saying anything more than ... wow.  So much for hotel security.   **nononono*)

Offline TomSea

« Reply #268 on: October 02, 2017, 04:24:04 pm »
But no one .. no security crew ... within the hotel could locate this guy?  (I'm not saying anything more than ... wow.  So much for hotel security.   **nononono*)

He was in his room since mid-September I believe they said, with an arsenal of guns. I don't see why that would be surprising. 33rd floor, big hotel, Sunday night, it might take awhile to discover what's going on.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #269 on: October 02, 2017, 04:28:39 pm »
He was in his room since mid-September I believe they said, with an arsenal of guns. I don't see why that would be surprising. 33rd floor, big hotel, Sunday night, it might take awhile to discover what's going on.

I guess this makes some sense.

The whole event is just so senseless.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #270 on: October 02, 2017, 04:29:03 pm »

He's been in the hotel since last Thursday -- the 28th.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #271 on: October 02, 2017, 04:29:24 pm »

Have you been to one of these hotels on the strip?  Do you realize how big they are?  And how noisy?  I think it's miraculous they found him as quickly as they did and got SWAT in place so quickly.  The first cop there can't just charge the room they had to get the right personnel and equipment in place.  What if he would have had enough explosives in the room to kill many in the hotel when detonated?
God is still in control

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #272 on: October 02, 2017, 04:29:59 pm »
By the way, thanks for posting the link @Right_in_Virginia

Welcome @Applewood

I had missed the live speech ... so I went looking for a link. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #273 on: October 02, 2017, 04:31:16 pm »
Have you been to one of these hotels on the strip?  Do you realize how big they are?  And how noisy?  I think it's miraculous they found him as quickly as they did and got SWAT in place so quickly.  The first cop there can't just charge the room they had to get the right personnel and equipment in place.  What if he would have had enough explosives in the room to kill many in the hotel when detonated?

Okay ... calm down.  Point made, point taken.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #274 on: October 02, 2017, 04:31:57 pm »

The perspective does seem off, I think it has something to do with how Google is adding 3D buildings which, in this case, appear very small (think about the width of a 4 lane road). When I was there last year, it felt like the buildings were all right close to each other.  You are looking at a few hundred yards, not a few thousand.

This shows a better idea of the building size and how it is practically right on top of the area where the concert is.

Here is Google Street view of the location.

https://goo.gl/maps/3Ybv69Q82Bw

I'm going to check on Google Earth in a little bit and measure the distance.