Author Topic: By Next Year, Gravitational Waves Could Be Discovered Weekly  (Read 888 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

By Next Year, Gravitational Waves Could Be Discovered Weekly
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:05:55 am »
Avery Thompson

The scientists working at the Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO), who made the news last year for becoming the first group to successfully detect gravitational waves, have just made an announcement: They've detected gravitational waves. Again.

The discovery marks the fourth such detection the lab has made, this time in conjunction with the new European gravitational wave observatory, VIRGO. While this particular discovery may not seem remarkable, it reveals an incredible fact: These discoveries are about to become routine.

LIGO was first turned on in 2002, and it spent 15 years trying to detect movement from gravitational waves. These waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused when two massive objects, like black holes, collide. The ripples in space-time they produce are impossibly tiny—only a fraction of the width of an atom—making them incredibly difficult to detect.

Since LIGO received an upgrade in 2016, it's been able to detect gravitational waves every few months. And now that the VIRGO observatory is online, making these detections with both observatories working together is even easier. According to a LIGO spokesperson, "With the next observing run planned for Fall 2018 we can expect such detections weekly or even more often."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/deep-space/news/a28429/gravitational-wave-detections-weekly/
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Online DB

Re: By Next Year, Gravitational Waves Could Be Discovered Weekly
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:11:36 am »
Are gravity waves faster than light?

Offline DemolitionMan

"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 08:11:39 am »
It looks like this issue is far from settled.

I agree. Scientists will continue to debate this.

Online DB

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 08:25:24 am »

When they get a second detector up a long distance from the first, they may be able to measure the propagation rate.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 08:27:43 am »

It sounds like a Newtonian Physics Vs Einsteinian gravity battle. We will might have an answer of the winner with the next decade.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 08:29:41 am »
When they get a second detector up a long distance from the first, they may be able to measure the propagation rate.

Yes. Many scientists from all different fields want an answer to the question. The only way is to get the second detector up and running.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 03:35:59 pm »

Here's the NASA LISA link:

https://lisa.nasa.gov/

I remember watching a video on space-based detection, IIRC an episode of some series on Amazon Prime...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA