Author Topic: Puerto Rico aid is trapped in thousands of shipping containers  (Read 3152 times)

Online DB

Re: Puerto Rico aid is trapped in thousands of shipping containers
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2017, 05:15:01 am »
I have to believe that both FEMA and the military have mobile temporary cell towers with generators that can be setup in short order. They could be placed all over the island via helicopter and linked by satellite and wouldn't require any local infrastructure to use.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2017, 05:17:30 am »
I can't disagree with a word of that there.  Plenty of roofs were blown off a week or two before Maria.  And I wouldn't necessarily single out the truckers for that, either.  The whole damned place is corrupt, and we'd be drop-dead stupid to let a place that backward to become a state.  The problem with the truckers is just presenting the most immediate problem.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/27/puerto-rico-recovery-is-addressed-by-trump/
Here's a hoot for ya, from the Washington Times article linked above
Earlier this week, Puerto Rico’s governor was asked by a National Public Radio reporter how he would assess the administration’s response to Maria. The reporter may have been hoping for a different response, but Gov. Ricardo Rossello, who lines up nationally with Democrats, was having none of it. He said, “We are very grateful for the administration. They have responded quickly. The president has been very attentive to the situation, personally calling me several times. FEMA and the FEMA director have been here in Puerto Rico twice. As a matter of fact, they were here with us today, making sure that all the resources in FEMA were working in conjunction with the central government. We have been working together. We have been getting results.”

San Juan’s mayor has also praised the administration for its quick response and for the advance planning that had to have been behind the ability to respond as quickly as it did, and the island’s non-voting delegate in Congress agrees. Resident Commissioner Jennifer Gonzalez told a Politico reporter on Monday, “This is the first time we got this type of federal coordination.”
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2017, 05:32:47 am »
I had an 8 ft. bumper mount on my old Dodge Coronet and could get 5 to 7 miles on a clear day and in favorable terrain. I haven't really had one in a vehicle since.

On the highway I get saved from more tickets with the CB than I do with my high end Valentine One radar detector.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2017, 05:43:09 am »
On the highway I get saved from more tickets with the CB than I do with my high end Valentine One radar detector.
A CB is only as handy as there are people to talk to. What I liked about it was that my situational awareness was always peaked. I knew to the mile marker where I was, and what was going on in front of and behind me. Without it, I tend to dope off a little on where I am (one road, no towns, fifty miles, just go).

The single trick that saved me from more tickets on two lane roads was just waving at the policeman. (foot on the brake, until we pass). He waves back and doesn't lock in my speed until it has dropped.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2017, 01:27:01 pm »

Same here.  Wish I still had a CB to put in my car.  Been thinking of buying a nice Cobra 19LTD
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline verga

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2017, 02:15:29 pm »
Note to the Governor of Puerto Rico and the Mayor of San Juan...Here's a thought, instead of wearing stupid T Shirts that accomplish nothing, how about showing some leadership and getting the people needed in a time of crisis back to work. It's not the mainland that has abandoned Puerto Rico, it's the citizens on the island that aren't helping their own. Namely the people that have the skills to get the goods at the port to the people that need it. But hey, I guess it's better optics and garners more sympathy to go on TV and whine that no one is helping you and that you're "dying".
Might be time to drop off the Cajun Navy with their 4 wheel drives, UTVs, ATVs, etc.... These good ole boys would have it straightened out in about 12 hours, just make sure they have enough duct tape bailing wire and WD-40. This is not meant as an insult to these truly great altruistic Americans.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline thackney

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2017, 11:04:11 pm »
Two Cat 4/5 hurricanes in rapid succession can account for downed cell towers. No sabotage necessary.
No other place in the US got storm-hammered like that, although the amount of rain from Harvey was a one-off.

The truckers are acting like Democrat Congressmen, milking the disaster for something they want.

Not to mention a power grid down and backup generators need fuel.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2017, 11:11:32 pm »
Not to mention a power grid down and backup generators need fuel.
I'd imagine a bunch of fuel was used trying to recover from the first hurricane, which had not happened when the second one hit. I can't think of anywhere on the mainland hammered quite like that.

C S Lewis