Author Topic: Puerto Rico aid is trapped in thousands of shipping containers  (Read 3149 times)

rangerrebew

Re: Puerto Rico aid is trapped in thousands of shipping containers
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 02:35:19 pm »
THOUSANDS Of Containers ROTTING At San Juan Port After STRIKING Union Drivers Allegedly REFUSE To Deliver Goods…LIBERAL Mayor Has Some Explaining To Do

San Juan’s mayor railed against President Trump’s acting DHS Secretary for expressing optimism about the progress the US has made in their relief efforts for residents of Puerto Rico. San Juan’s mayor, Carmin Yulin Cruz, used CNN as a vehicle to criticize the efforts of the US in getting much-needed supplies to the residents of San Juan. Only hours after the mayor of San Juan criticized the efforts of the Trump administration, tweets from the Mayor of San Juan, (that were sent out before Hurricane Maria) surfaced on Twitter responding to Hillary’s tweet, as she trashed President Trump, saying he “doesn’t deserve to be President.”

https://100percentfedup.com/thousands-containers-rotting-san-juan-port-striking-union-drivers-allegedly-refuse-deliver-goodsliberal-mayor-explaining/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 05:02:20 pm »
It's time for martial law in Puerto Rico.

At the very least, time for the President to "federalize" the delivery drivers there and order them back to work.

If they won't go, literally "send in the troops" -- U.S. Army, with a military governor and military drivers to break the gridlock (and hopefully break the union as well).

Let the left howl.
Time for the Trump administration to show 'em how it's done!

Online LadyLiberty

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 05:15:36 pm »
In Houston, the Red Cross's logistics were so bureaucratic that the county government, that's right, the government, had to step in to speed things up:  http://www.houstonpress.com/news/the-red-cross-had-a-lot-of-rules-during-harvey-that-harris-county-was-disinclined-to-follow-9816085

Offline Mod2

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 06:45:01 pm »
Several threads merged.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 06:51:46 pm »
Yes, it does.  We need to rethink this whole "Puerto Rican statehood" thing.

I don't.  I never liked the notion in the first place,and my opinion of it has only soured over the years.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 06:57:52 pm »
Teamsters organize truckers to move supplies in Puerto Rico
CNN, Sep 30, 2017

The Teamsters union and the AFL-CIO, a federation of more than 50 unions, are working together to recruit truckers to travel to Puerto Rico and help distribute a stockpile of relief supplies

Thousands of shipping containers full of food, water, and medicines were sitting unused at Puerto Rico's Port of San Juan.

Relief workers haven't been able to distribute the goods, in part because only about 20% of Puerto Rico's truck drivers have reported back to work since Hurricane Maria swept through, according to a representative for Puerto Rican Gov. Ricardo Rosselló.

More: http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/30/news/teamsters-union-puerto-rico-hurricane-maria/

That story, and the other one you commented on, have me scratching my head.  I thought Teamsters was an "International Union."  How can the Teamsters of PR contradict the Teamsters on the mainland, and call them "scabs?"  When you consider there are laws preventing strikes in case of national emergencies, the union officials in PR should be arrested.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 08:32:43 pm »
Yes, it does.  We need to rethink this whole "Puerto Rican statehood" thing.

@Sanguine

I found this on Twitter.  It serves to illustrate just that.

If it's too graphic-heavy, mods let me know and I can delete it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2017, 09:09:54 pm »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2017, 09:13:54 pm »
That story, and the other one you commented on, have me scratching my head.  I thought Teamsters was an "International Union."  How can the Teamsters of PR contradict the Teamsters on the mainland, and call them "scabs?"  ...

That was my question, too ......

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2017, 09:31:13 pm »
That was my question, too ......

It's enough to make me doubt the veracity of the story about the PR Teamsters. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2017, 09:50:26 pm »
It's enough to make me doubt the veracity of the story about the PR Teamsters. :shrug:

Agree.  But from all I've been reading (quite the eye-opener) I doubt the union would actually have to tell its members not to go to work.   :whistle:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 09:55:32 pm »
Agree.  But from all I've been reading (quite the eye-opener) I doubt the union would actually have to tell its members not to go to work.   :whistle:

Unions will beat the crap out of people they don't like, and get away with it.  I have always thought Teamsters had the most brutal thugs, so just about any story about bad behavior is pretty easy to believe.  Would not surprise me the Union would hurt the people to "punish" the Governor, it's right up their filthy alley.  They'd beat their mainland Brothers, and worse, if they had to.
I will NOT comply.

Online DB

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2017, 12:54:35 am »
Unions will beat the crap out of people they don't like, and get away with it.  I have always thought Teamsters had the most brutal thugs, so just about any story about bad behavior is pretty easy to believe.  Would not surprise me the Union would hurt the people to "punish" the Governor, it's right up their filthy alley.  They'd beat their mainland Brothers, and worse, if they had to.

The Teamsters are simply organized crime.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2017, 02:32:06 am »
He's right about one thing...the mayor of San Juan is definitely NOT showing any leadership skills at a time when she should be.
Beyond that. Not even being cooperative.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2017, 02:46:01 am »
The Teamsters are simply organized crime.

I'm told 4 out of 5 Teamsters aren't showing up to haul relief supplies from the port because cell phone towers are down.  Do you buy that?  What, they've never heard of CB radios?  Every car had one in the 70's.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2017, 02:51:55 am »
I'm told 4 out of 5 Teamsters aren't showing up to haul relief supplies from the port because cell phone towers are down.  Do you buy that?  What, they've never heard of CB radios?  Every car had one in the 70's.
I had a '79 Lincoln Town Car which had factory CB in it. You don't see them so much any more, and the terrain isn't conducive to long transmit ranges.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2017, 03:08:43 am »
I had a '79 Lincoln Town Car which had factory CB in it. You don't see them so much any more, and the terrain isn't conducive to long transmit ranges.
It's amazing what short range will do.  We knew about Smokies miles from us. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2017, 03:27:41 am »

I've had a couple of those cars. GM used this gray module on the mast with a splitter and Ford just used the regular mast and a splitter for their factory CB's. Their range stunk. I have a 10 ft whip antenna on my Custom Cruiser that is good for at least 10 miles on flat terrain.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2017, 03:39:01 am »
It's amazing what short range will do.  We knew about Smokies miles from us.
Sure we did--u[ and down fairly straight and pretty level highways, or along valley floors and when we were lucky, along ridges and downhill from there. But AM is not terrain following like FM and doesn't do well in hill country.

Topography

The territory is very mountainous (covering about 60%), except in the regional coasts, but Puerto Rico offers astonishing variety: rain forest, deserts, beaches, caves, oceans and rivers. Puerto Rico has three main physiographic regions: the mountainous interior, the coastal lowlands, and the karst area.

The mountainous interior is formed by a central mountain chain commonly known as the Cordillera Central, extending across the interior of the island, from Mayagüez to Aibonito, which transects the island from east to west. These mountain ranges are La Cordillera Central, La Sierra de Cayey, La Sierra de Luquillo, and La Sierra Bermeja.

The largest mountains are Cerro La Punta (1,338 m) in Jayuya; Rosas (1,267 m) found between Jayuya and Ciales, Guilarte (1,205 m) in Adjuntas, Tres Picachos (1,204 m) in Jayuya, and Maravilla (1,182m) in Ponce. Toward to the northeast is Sierra de Luquillo, whose highest peaks are: Toro Hill (1,074 m) found between Río Grande, Naguabo and Las Piedras, and El Yunque Peak (1,065 m) found in Río Grande. Another mountain chain is the Sierra de Luquillo in the northeast.

The second main physiographic feature is the coastal lowlands, which extend 13 to 19 km (8 to 12 mi) inward in the north and 3 to 13 km (2 to 8 mi) in the south. A series of smaller valleys lie perpendicular near the west and east coast. This area was originally formed by the erosion of the interior mountains.

The third important physiographic feature is the karst region in the north. This area consists of formations of rugged limestone dissolved by water throughout the geological ages. This limestone region is an extremely attractive zone of extensive mogotes or haystack hills, sinkholes, caves, limestone cliffs, and other karst features. The karst belt extends from Aguadilla, in the west, to a minor haystack hills formation in Loíza, just east of San Juan.

From http://welcome.topuertorico.org/geogra.shtml Which contains much more info about the 100 mile X 35 mile island. But with mountains in the middle, the relay stations would have to go around, and reaching the interior might have similar difficulties to getting there by road. (trees down, etc., same basic troubles as anywhere else nailed by a Cat5 or Cat4 storm, and they got hit by two in rapid succession.

Then, there is the problem of having the fuel to keep the batteries charged to run the radios, and that is subject to a question of IF they are there at all.

I know I don't have one in a vehicle any more, and it is difficult to find the equipment locally (not like the old days).

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2017, 03:41:38 am »
I've had a couple of those cars. GM used this gray module on the mast with a splitter and Ford just used the regular mast and a splitter for their factory CB's. Their range stunk. I have a 10 ft whip antenna on my Custom Cruiser that is good for at least 10 miles on flat terrain.
I had an 8 ft. bumper mount on my old Dodge Coronet and could get 5 to 7 miles on a clear day and in favorable terrain. I haven't really had one in a vehicle since.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2017, 03:51:27 am »
I had an 8 ft. bumper mount on my old Dodge Coronet and could get 5 to 7 miles on a clear day and in favorable terrain. I haven't really had one in a vehicle since.

So let's get this straight.  Cell phones don't work, so truckers can't drive across town to find a dispatcher?  Enough. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2017, 04:08:04 am »
So let's get this straight.  Cell phones don't work, so truckers can't drive across town to find a dispatcher?  Enough.
There is a problem with the truckers, but fuel and roads are issues, too. Cell phone towers are down. Then you have to find out what is in the 10K containers and get the right ones on trucks without the computers or files in them with the manifests on the bar coded containers. They are working on it, but it isn't going to come easily, and then, there is the truckers union down there with a craniorectal insertion according to some accounts.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2017, 04:15:57 am »
There is a problem with the truckers, but fuel and roads are issues, too. Cell phone towers are down. Then you have to find out what is in the 10K containers and get the right ones on trucks without the computers or files in them with the manifests on the bar coded containers. They are working on it, but it isn't going to come easily, and then, there is the truckers union down there with a craniorectal insertion according to some accounts.

According to some accounts the truckers union is actively sabotaging the efforts.  I'm sure they wouldn't think twice about knocking over cell towers if meant it would slow down the relief. 

These events go a long way toward explaining the actual shrinkage of PR's population over the years.  The place is a craphole that rivals even Haiti.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2017, 04:29:17 am »
According to some accounts the truckers union is actively sabotaging the efforts.  I'm sure they wouldn't think twice about knocking over cell towers if meant it would slow down the relief. 

These events go a long way toward explaining the actual shrinkage of PR's population over the years.  The place is a craphole that rivals even Haiti.
Two Cat 4/5 hurricanes in rapid succession can account for downed cell towers. No sabotage necessary.
No other place in the US got storm-hammered like that, although the amount of rain from Harvey was a one-off.

The truckers are acting like Democrat Congressmen, milking the disaster for something they want.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2017, 04:40:27 am »
Two Cat 4/5 hurricanes in rapid succession can account for downed cell towers. No sabotage necessary.
No other place in the US got storm-hammered like that, although the amount of rain from Harvey was a one-off.

The truckers are acting like Democrat Congressmen, milking the disaster for something they want.

I can't disagree with a word of that there.  Plenty of roofs were blown off a week or two before Maria.  And I wouldn't necessarily single out the truckers for that, either.  The whole damned place is corrupt, and we'd be drop-dead stupid to let a place that backward to become a state.  The problem with the truckers is just presenting the most immediate problem. 
I will NOT comply.