Author Topic: The Myth of Mitch McConnell, Political Super-Genius  (Read 1109 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The Myth of Mitch McConnell, Political Super-Genius
« on: September 29, 2017, 02:47:16 am »
The Senate majority leader has been coasting on an inflated reputation for too long. This week exposed just how little he has achieved.

The past eight months of massive and avoidable failures have delivered such a devastating blow to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s reputation for political savvy, it’s a wonder it ever existed at all.

So how did the Myth of McConnell get started in the first place? The story is one of cynicism, self-promotion and credulousness, born out of desperation for bipartisanship and craving for familiar roles in an era when American politics veered into uncharted territory.

For the uninitiated, the Myth goes something like this: A calculating Kentuckian, he sees three steps ahead while playing eight-dimensional chess on his solved Rubik’s cube with one hand, while using the other to hold an inside straight close to his vest, which is embroidered with Masonic secrets that only he can read and that unlock true mastery of the Senate, along with eternal enlightenment, for good measure.

In the Myth of McConnell, grand achievements are conjured out of last-minute, crisis-driven exercises in can-kicking—like extending the U.S. borrowing authority and government funding—all things that used to happen routinely before McConnell became leader of the Republican Caucus and unleashed his unique brand of unprecedented obstructionism on the Senate, manufacturing the very crises that made the last-minute deals necessary. Meanwhile, humdrum political events, like winning reelection in a deep red state in a strong year for Republicans—as McConnell did in 2014—are recast as achievements of Machiavellian brilliance.

If any believers in the Myth remain after the brutal week McConnell just endured, which capped off an unbelievably brutal eight months, they should take this challenge: Name one major legislative accomplishment to McConnell’s credit over the more than 30 years he has been in the Senate. (Last minute deals don’t count.)

You can’t do it: Unlike former Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid (my former boss) and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, McConnell has never authored a single piece of major legislation that became law, nor has he successfully shepherded a single major bill to passage as leader. Reid, Pelosi and former President Barack Obama were all party to the last-minute deals, but they all have a trove of historic accomplishments to show for their leadership: insuring millions of Americans through the Affordable Care Act, reforming the post-crash financial system with Dodd-Frank and ending the Iraq war, for starters. McConnell has nothing.

His failure to log even a single major achievement is without precedent in recent American history. It’s not like he hasn’t had the opportunity: Not only has McConnell enjoyed 250 days of unified Republican control in 2017, he also led a GOP majority in the Senate for the previous two years, paired with a solid Republican majority in the House. But under McConnell’s leadership, even bills backed by strong bipartisan support, tagged as likely to pass by seasoned Hill observers and likely to be signed by Obama, languished.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/09/28/myth-mitch-mcconnell-genius-master-senate-215656?lo=ap_d1
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: The Myth of Mitch McConnell, Political Super-Genius
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 03:02:46 am »
The Senate majority leader has been coasting on an inflated reputation for too long.

Only because the circle jerk MSM like Polutico has beed peddling the idea inside the Beltway. Outside DC everyone already knows Mitch is an impudent ineffectual douche. Just look at his miserable approvals in his own damn state.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 03:17:09 am »
McConnell is only effective within the party through consolidating his own power by destroying other Republicans.

He's an absolute incompetent quisling when dealing with Dem opposition on pretty much everything minus a few exceptions.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 04:21:39 am »
McConnell is only effective within the party through consolidating his own power by destroying other Republicans.

He's an absolute incompetent quisling when dealing with Dem opposition on pretty much everything minus a few exceptions.

Either that or he is really a Democrat.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 04:32:03 am »
Either that or he is really a Democrat.

I didn't know you held Mitch in such high regard. For him to be a Rat it would mean he has a philosophy other than self serving POS.

Offline DB

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 04:58:51 am »
I think Cruz got it right some time back. McConnell is a liar and not be trusted.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 05:05:01 am »
The Senate majority leader has been coasting on an inflated reputation for too long.

Only because the circle jerk MSM like Polutico has beed peddling the idea inside the Beltway. Outside DC everyone already knows Mitch is an impudent ineffectual douche. Just look at his miserable approvals in his own damn state.

Trump pushed to have him reelected by the senate Republicans as Senate majority leader... The same goes for Ryan in the house. He got what he wanted. Most of us here were strongly apposed to it, especially after Trump claimed he was going to "drain the swamp"... Then we got eight dimensional chess explanations on why it was such a good idea for Trump to select these people to lead...

And here we are...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 11:43:49 am »
Trump pushed to have him reelected by the senate Republicans as Senate majority leader...

And on top of it Trump appointed McConnell's wife Elaine Chao to run the Transportation Department. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 01:46:04 pm »
I didn't know you held Mitch in such high regard. For him to be a Rat it would mean he has a philosophy other than self serving POS.

@Frank Cannon

You make an EXCELLENT point Frank!  I stand corrected!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 01:51:33 pm »
Trump pushed to have him reelected by the senate Republicans as Senate majority leader... The same goes for Ryan in the house. He got what he wanted. Most of us here were strongly apposed to it, especially after Trump claimed he was going to "drain the swamp"... Then we got eight dimensional chess explanations on why it was such a good idea for Trump to select these people to lead...

And here we are...

The members of the House and Senate are the only ones to blame for this if you recall. They are packed with RINOs and wouldn't even consider other people like Gohmert and Cruz. That will be changing as these people head for the exits.*

* See: Charlie Dent and Bob Corker.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:21:06 pm »
And on top of it Trump appointed McConnell's wife Elaine Chao to run the Transportation Department.
@txradioguy

A person employed by a business, tends to rise in the company if he/she doesn't offend anyone.  To me, McConnell was like that, he didn't offend and stayed year after year as his seniority years kept building, until he was at the top of years served and became the top Republican man/senate leader.  He has no substance, just years served.  He is a tottering nothing.  When he speaks to reporters, the words are neutral, no present action or future action described. 

Next in line for his job, is Texas Senator Cornyn.  Cornyn, as Attorney General of Texas, saved me from a Democrat district attorney wanting to remove me as Judge of the Early Voting Ballot Board.  That battle went on for six months, all over the local paper every week.  I knew I was right according to law and Cornyn agreed with me after that six months, which I knew he would.  However, Cornyn is somewhat like McConnell in the senate, not a strong senator, just wants peace among the group with no problems.  He won't be much better than McConnell.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 04:52:48 pm »
@txradioguy

A person employed by a business, tends to rise in the company if he/she doesn't offend anyone.  To me, McConnell was like that, he didn't offend and stayed year after year as his seniority years kept building, until he was at the top of years served and became the top Republican man/senate leader.  He has no substance, just years served.  He is a tottering nothing.  When he speaks to reporters, the words are neutral, no present action or future action described. 

Next in line for his job, is Texas Senator Cornyn.  Cornyn, as Attorney General of Texas, saved me from a Democrat district attorney wanting to remove me as Judge of the Early Voting Ballot Board.  That battle went on for six months, all over the local paper every week.  I knew I was right according to law and Cornyn agreed with me after that six months, which I knew he would.  However, Cornyn is somewhat like McConnell in the senate, not a strong senator, just wants peace among the group with no problems.  He won't be much better than McConnell.

I would like to see a Conservative challenge Cornyn and get him out of the #2 spot at the right hand of McConnell.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 05:33:49 pm »
I would like to see a Conservative challenge Cornyn and get him out of the #2 spot at the right hand of McConnell.

Yeah, but remember Cornyn was a conservative when he was first elected.  I don't know what happened to him.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 05:36:20 pm »
Yeah, but remember Cornyn was a conservative when he was first elected.  I don't know what happened to him.

Same thing that happens a lot when they get up there.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 05:46:25 pm »

That's going to happen!  Count on it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 07:26:59 pm »

And here we are...

Yeppers ... same ole crap.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.