Author Topic: Trump lifts Jones Act to assist disaster relief to Puerto Rico  (Read 498 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Trump lifts Jones Act to assist disaster relief to Puerto Rico
« on: September 28, 2017, 06:13:00 pm »
The White House announced Thursday that President Donald Trump will temporarily lift the Jones Act in order to bolster aid efforts in Puerto Rico, which was devastated by Hurricane Maria last week.

The Trump administration has received intense criticism for the delay in lifting the Jones Act to assist Puerto Rico after the administration had already issued temporary waivers in Florida and Texas after Hurricanes Irma and Harvey.

Read more at: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/09/28/trump-lifts-jones-act-to-assist-disaster-relief-to-puerto-rico/
The Republic is lost.

Offline CSM

Re: Trump lifts Jones Act to assist disaster relief to Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 06:18:27 pm »
The White House announced Thursday that President Donald Trump will temporarily lift the Jones Act in order to bolster aid efforts in Puerto Rico, which was devastated by Hurricane Maria last week.

The Trump administration has received intense criticism for the delay in lifting the Jones Act to assist Puerto Rico after the administration had already issued temporary waivers in Florida and Texas after Hurricanes Irma and Harvey.

Read more at: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/09/28/trump-lifts-jones-act-to-assist-disaster-relief-to-puerto-rico/

I still don't understand why such "intense criticism" of the President over this.  The Jones act was named after a Democrat Congressman who sponsored it, it passed a Democrat controlled House and was signed into law by Woodrow Wilson in 1917.  Why is President Trump being "intensely criticized" for not single handedly fixing what those Dems broke?  Why shouldn't the Dems be forced to live with the results of their policies?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 06:20:28 pm »
Get rid of the damn Jones Act. It does nothing to help Americans and protects no jobs.

At least get rid of it in peacetime.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 06:29:38 pm »
Get rid of the damn Jones Act. It does nothing to help Americans and protects no jobs.

At least get rid of it in peacetime.

It kept me from catching a ride home on a cruise ship after my plane was forced out of the air.  Perfectly good cruise ship stopped in port where I was stranded; next stop the city I lived in, but no.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 06:36:23 pm »
Meaningless gesture, but at least it gives the Libs one less thing to whine about.