Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery: To Boldly Blow It  (Read 505 times)

Online corbe

Star Trek Discovery: To Boldly Blow It
« on: September 28, 2017, 02:03:08 am »

By Marc Giller  |  September 27, 2017, 02:25pm  |  @MarcGiller

Star Trek has always had something of a checkered history with pilot episodes.  Back before the classic series run, NBC actually rejected Gene Roddenberry’s original pilot, “The Cage.”  Lore has it that the network suits thought it was too cerebral, but I’m guessing it might have had more to do with the slow, deliberate pacing and the aliens that looked like they had butts with bulging veins planted on their heads.  Still, many of the elements that Star Trek would soon make famous were there—most notably Spock, the Vulcan science officer, and the starship Enterprise herself in all of her glory.  NBC apparently saw something they liked, because they took the unprecedented step of giving Roddenberry a second chance at a pilot.

The resulting “Where No Man Has Gone Before” was a retooled vision of Star Trek, somewhat more action-oriented but still heavy on the science fiction.  Gone was the self-doubting Captain Cristopher Pike from “The Cage,” replaced by the more confident Captain James R. Kirk (later changed to James T.), and with him came the all-too-human Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy, who could always be counted on for a drink and some sage advice whenever the captain needed it.  And there was, of course, Spock, the only character to make it from the previous pilot.  Word is the suits wanted him gone, but Roddenberry managed to keep him on because chicks seemed to dig the pointy ears. The rest, as they say, is history.

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/star-trek-discovery-to-boldly-blow-it/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline goatprairie

Re: Star Trek Discovery: To Boldly Blow It
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 02:38:10 am »

By Marc Giller  |  September 27, 2017, 02:25pm  |  @MarcGiller

Star Trek has always had something of a checkered history with pilot episodes.  Back before the classic series run, NBC actually rejected Gene Roddenberry’s original pilot, “The Cage.”  Lore has it that the network suits thought it was too cerebral, but I’m guessing it might have had more to do with the slow, deliberate pacing and the aliens that looked like they had butts with bulging veins planted on their heads.  Still, many of the elements that Star Trek would soon make famous were there—most notably Spock, the Vulcan science officer, and the starship Enterprise herself in all of her glory.  NBC apparently saw something they liked, because they took the unprecedented step of giving Roddenberry a second chance at a pilot.

The resulting “Where No Man Has Gone Before” was a retooled vision of Star Trek, somewhat more action-oriented but still heavy on the science fiction.  Gone was the self-doubting Captain Cristopher Pike from “The Cage,” replaced by the more confident Captain James R. Kirk (later changed to James T.), and with him came the all-too-human Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy, who could always be counted on for a drink and some sage advice whenever the captain needed it.  And there was, of course, Spock, the only character to make it from the previous pilot.  Word is the suits wanted him gone, but Roddenberry managed to keep him on because chicks seemed to dig the pointy ears. The rest, as they say, is history.

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/star-trek-discovery-to-boldly-blow-it/
I remember watching the pilot episode. One of my younger sisters couldn't stop laughing at the aliens with their heads looking like rear ends.  "Look at the a**heads" she kept repeating amidst squeals of laughter.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Star Trek Discovery: To Boldly Blow It
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 03:34:06 am »
The lefties love to put their religion on parade in the various Star Trek entries given that Roddenberry was one of their most radical adherents. They jack around for most of the first season throwing out stuff thinking something will stick, then someone comes in and makes them come back down to earth and write plots that will attract their core audience.

I hope this one gets it together. Being a Sonequa Martin-Green fan, for her sake I'm holding my breath it will end up being a solid show.
The Republic is lost.