Author Topic: Breaking Kurdish independence referendum passes  (Read 550 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Breaking Kurdish independence referendum passes
« on: September 27, 2017, 03:20:28 pm »
Breaking Kurdish independence referendum passes
Associated Press

The election commission for Iraq's Kurdish region says a referendum on independence from Baghdad has been approved by more than 90% of voters.

The nonbinding vote is unlikely to lead to formal independence, and has escalated long-running tensions with Baghdad. Iraq and its neighbors, along with virtually the entire international community, are staunchly opposed to any redrawing of the map.

Hendrin Mohammed, the head of the commission, announced the official results at a press conference Wednesday, saying the referendum passed with 92.73% support and turnout of more than 72%.

Continued: http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-kurdish-independence-referendum-20170927-story.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Breaking Kurdish independence referendum passes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 03:49:20 pm »
The Kurds have been seeking independence dangnear since the Partition. I hope, for their sake, they get it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 05:37:02 pm »
I do too. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 05:58:14 pm »
This will rile the Turks even more than the Iraqis and Syrians.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Guivre

• ICXCNIKA
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 06:12:24 pm »
The KDP is like the mafia. I wish you guys actually lived there and were suffering under them with a thread like this.
"We cannot judge whether the world has truly gone bad or if journalists have just started to work more."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 06:52:58 pm »
The KDP is like the mafia. I wish you guys actually lived there and were suffering under them with a thread like this.

I agree, I have no idea.  So far, I've only seen people I want no part of.  :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 08:11:15 pm »
I agree, I have no idea.  So far, I've only seen people I want no part of.  :shrug:
The only Kurd I know wanted a Kurdish homeland in the worst way--the Kurds were divided 4 ways by the British Partition (into different nationalities). The whole region is tribal, and tribal conflicts get ugly with old grudges and blood feuds. 

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 08:13:42 pm »
The only Kurd I know wanted a Kurdish homeland in the worst way--the Kurds were divided 4 ways by the British Partition (into different nationalities). The whole region is tribal, and tribal conflicts get ugly with old grudges and blood feuds.

And, oil.  Lots and lots of oil.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 08:26:39 pm »
And, oil.  Lots and lots of oil.
Yep. That, too.

C S Lewis