Author Topic: Industrial Base Too ‘Brittle’ For Big War: Dunford  (Read 721 times)

rangerrebew

Industrial Base Too ‘Brittle’ For Big War: Dunford
« on: September 27, 2017, 08:53:51 am »
 Industrial Base Too ‘Brittle’ For Big War: Dunford
By Sydney J. Freedberg Jr. on September 26, 2017 at 5:29 PM

CAPITOL HILL: Is the arsenal of democracy out of business? Probably not, but America’s “increasingly brittle industrial base” may not be able to sustain our forces in a protracted war, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen. Joseph Dunford, warned the Senate in a written statement this morning. It’s a problem a lot of people are wrestling with, from Dunford’s subordinates on the Joint Staff to academics and a White House-commissioned task force. There are solutions, a panel of experts said this afternoon on the Hill – if we just invest enough to research and develop them.

http://breakingdefense.com/2017/09/industrial-base-too-brittle-for-big-war-dunford/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Industrial Base Too ‘Brittle’ For Big War: Dunford
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:45:44 am »
"Industrial Base Too ‘Brittle’ For Big War: Dunford"

He's right.

The America that had the industrial might to churn out the materiel to win World War II doesn't exist any more. And today's "high-tech" weapons cannot be turned out quickly nor without great cost per unit.

Much of our raw manufacturing base doesn't exist any more... the mines... the steel mills... the auto assembly plants that could quickly be converted to the production of war-related vehicles, etc.

Perhaps the only path to victory for the United States in an all-out full scale war today would be a nuclear one. And I'm not talking about fighting against Saddam Hussein, who's "elite Republican Guard" crumpled up quickly, but rather North Korea and/or China.

And how would we raise the manpower?
By draftin' the snowflakes?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 02:49:59 am »
How much of what goes into our weapons is made elsewhere, or mined/refined elsewhere?

We have seen this problem during oil booms, in that there are just not enough people who know how to do the job out there. While that is a great deal for those of us who do know how to do things (that's when we make our money), it isn't the way to spool up an industrial base that will require more precision than ever.

During WWII, factories were converted to wartime production. Sewing machine and typewriter manufacturers were making firearms. Others converted from building cars to tanks, and so forth, but the raw labor and facilities were there for the most part, people who could do the work, and run the machinery needed, or had been idle for only a decade or so because of the depression.

Mining stepped up, but the miners and mines were there. Some reopened after the depression, others expanded. Now they have been reclaimed, flooded, or laid idle for decades, and other minerals are barely located, especially some critical for electronic systems. Now, it is cheaper to buy from elsewhere, partly because the enviros will delay everything every chance they get.

Even on an emergency war footing now, I think the amount of sabotage from people who think they are 'saving the planet' would be as bad as enemy agents ever mustered then.

While I think the first stage would involve making the tooling and robots to manufacture the materiel needed, and that America could conceivably rise to the occasion given time, we would not have the warmup phase that lend-lease gave us in WWII, either. Eventually, I believe we could surpass that level of productivity (without H1Bs and illegal aliens), but it would take a little while to spool up, across the board.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jpsb

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 02:56:59 am »
In the 21st century, war will be quick and deadly.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 03:50:21 am »
The chickens have come home to roost.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 03:57:57 am »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:08:08 am »