Author Topic: What If Franco’s Spain Had Entered the War?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

What If Franco’s Spain Had Entered the War?
« on: September 27, 2017, 07:44:47 am »

BY MARK GRIMSLEY

It is June 12, 1940. France is on the verge of defeat. Hitler appears certain to conquer Great Britain and win the war outright. Pleased with this development, Spanish dictator Francisco Franco rejects neutrality and announces a tacitly pro-German policy of nonbelligerence, modeled after that of Italy before its entrance into the war just two days earlier. On October 23, he signs an agreement committing Spain to join the Tripartite Pact—which Germany, Italy, and Japan concluded the previous month—at a time to be agreed upon by the four powers. Its terms assure Spain of badly needed military and economic assistance from Germany and Italy, and the restoration of Gibraltar, which Britain had seized from Spain in 1713. It also promises an expansion of Spanish territory in Morocco at the expense of Vichy France.

Spain does join the pact. Then, on January 10, 1941, it declares war on Great Britain, a step timed to coincide with the start of Operation Felix, the Nazi plan to capture the British fortress at Gibraltar. Sixty-five thousand German troops cross from occupied France into Spain, and by February Felix gets seriously under way. At that juncture, Hitler curtly informs Vichy France that Spain will receive a portion of French Morocco. Spanish troops occupy the expanded territory without firing a shot.

The tiny Gibraltar peninsula—less than three square miles in size—comes under intense pressure from German infantry and armor, as well as relentless bombardment from heavy artillery and near-continual air raids. Within a month, the British garrison of 30,000 capitulates. The loss of Gibraltar closes the western Mediterranean to the Royal Navy, although British forces in the Middle East can still be supplied via the Suez Canal. Franco had urged Hitler to preempt this with an offensive to seize the canal, but Hitler, unwilling to adopt a Mediterranean-oriented strategy, declines to do so. His primary purpose in capturing Gibraltar was to strike a blow to British morale; furthermore, Franco’s entry into the war has made it possible to base German U-boats in Spanish ports.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Suppressed

Re: What If Franco’s Spain Had Entered the War?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 01:45:21 am »
It would have given the Allies a nice juicy foothold onto the continent, forcing Germany to extend its forces in France to guard against a Navarran/Catalonian incursion.  The Spanish military was strong enough to put up a bit of resistance, but it was mostly their neutrality that prevented invasion of them.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:47:02 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 01:55:34 am »
It would have given the Allies a nice juicy foothold onto the continent, forcing Germany to extend its forces in France to guard against a Navarran/Catalonian incursion.  The Spanish military was strong enough to put up a bit of resistance, but it was mostly their neutrality that prevented invasion of them.

I think from the article, Spain is friendly to the Axis powers.

I've read a bit on the Spanish Civil War, for the 2 or 3 years it lasted, 300,000 were killed. A massive number. It makes me think of the Syrian war, we generally don't know how bad it was.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 02:32:38 am »
I think from the article, Spain is friendly to the Axis powers.

I've read a bit on the Spanish Civil War, for the 2 or 3 years it lasted, 300,000 were killed. A massive number. It makes me think of the Syrian war, we generally don't know how bad it was.

The Republicans were no saints,  but Leftist propaganda fails to point out that inconvenient fact.   

And the fact is, Franco saved Spain.   Had he not won, the Nazis would have invaded and made a beeline for Gibraltar.  Franco did just enough to keep Hitler off his back, he refused Hitler's request to seize Gibraltar from the British, and he refused to hand over Spanish Jews, and Spain was a haven for Jews to escape to.

Offline DemolitionMan

"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 02:50:38 am »
Thanks  :beer:

:beer:

Yer good.  I like your articles.  Have another, they're small:   :beer:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 02:53:16 am »
:beer:

Yer good.  I like your articles.  Have another, they're small:   :beer:

I promise that I will find bigger articles.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 02:54:52 am »
The Republicans were no saints,  but Leftist propaganda fails to point out that inconvenient fact.   

And the fact is, Franco saved Spain.   Had he not won, the Nazis would have invaded and made a beeline for Gibraltar.  Franco did just enough to keep Hitler off his back, he refused Hitler's request to seize Gibraltar from the British, and he refused to hand over Spanish Jews, and Spain was a haven for Jews to escape to.

I've always thought Franco managed to negotiate his ship of state between reefs that would have daunted the most brilliant of leaders.  I can't imagine the tough spot he got through, and lasted so long after.  Winnie would have been impressed.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 02:56:04 am »
I promise that I will find bigger articles.

I meant the beers.   :beer:

They're itty bitty.  Unlike the coffee/adult beverages I serve in The Lounge.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 04:00:15 am »
I've always thought Franco managed to negotiate his ship of state between reefs that would have daunted the most brilliant of leaders.  I can't imagine the tough spot he got through, and lasted so long after.  Winnie would have been impressed.

Hitler approved the use of Spanish volunteers on June 24, 1941. Volunteers flocked to recruiting offices in all the metropolitan areas of Spain. Cadets from the officer training school in Zaragoza volunteered in particularly large numbers. Initially, the Spanish government was prepared to send about 4,000 men, but soon realized that there were more than enough volunteers to fill an entire division: – the Blue Division or División Azul under Agustín Muñoz Grandes – including an air force squadron – the Blue Squadron, 18,104 men in all, with 2,612 officers and 15,492 soldiers. One of their noticable battles was the Siege of Leningrad.After their defeat in the Spanish Civil War, numbers of Republican veterans and civilians went into exile in France; the French Republic interned them in refugee camps, such as Camp Gurs in southern France. To improve their conditions, many joined the French Foreign Legion at the start of World War II, making up a sizeable proportion of it. Around sixty thousand joined the French Resistance, mostly as guerrillas, with some also continuing the fight against Francisco Franc

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 04:04:21 am »
I meant the beers.   :beer:

They're itty bitty.  Unlike the coffee/adult beverages I serve in The Lounge.

I know.  :beer:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:05:03 am by DemolitionMan »