Author Topic: Could North Korea Shoot Down US Warplanes?  (Read 344 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Could North Korea Shoot Down US Warplanes?
« on: September 27, 2017, 01:53:10 am »
BY MARCUS WEISGERBER

Could North Korea make good its threat, delivered on Monday, to shoot down American warplanes near its coastline?
“I don’t think it’s something that can be dismissed,” said Tom Karako, who runs the Missile Defense Project at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
North Korea’s surface-to-air missiles include S-200s acquired from the Soviet Union in the 1980s. But it also has a newer missile, the KN-06, which is similar to newer, more modern Russian and Chinese weapons.
Like the ICBMs being tested by North Korea, the KN-06 is mobile, so its location is not always known.
“I don’t think any pilot would fail to take [air defenses] seriously,” Karako said.
The S-200 air defense system “should be well-known to the U.S. as it was operated by Libya and Syria, as well as Poland and the Czech Republic — the latter two are now NATO members,” Byron Callan, an analyst with Capital Alpha Partners, wrote in a note to investors this week.

http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2017/09/could-north-korea-shoot-down-us-warplanes/141304/?oref=d-river
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: Could North Korea Shoot Down US Warplanes?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 01:54:53 am »
  This is a KN-06 Missile Test Fire. But can they use it in a effective manner?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD5wFDxiuyA
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:58:33 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 02:07:40 am »
S-200 missile test. The NK also have this missile.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFpDMz7plTM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQGBYiM_fJo

The task of defeating the carriers of cruise missiles, jammers, aircraft of strategic aviation at maximum ranges and heights was solved between 1963 and 1967 with the creation of the S-200 system. Together with the development of many new scientific and technical solutions for the S-200 system, A.A. Raspletin was attached the fundamental importance to the creation of self-homing head for the anti-aircraft guided missile. In the accepted for the armament system S-200 the anti-aircraft guided missile was for the first time equipped with homing equipment.
The S-200 SA-5 GAMMON is a medium to high -altitude surface-to-air missile system. The single-stage missile has four jettisonable, wraparound solid propellant boosters, each of which is is 4.9 m long and 0.48 m in diameter with a single fin spanning 0.35 m from the booster body. The missile is 10.72 m long overall with a wing span of 2.85 m. The main body is 0.85 m in diameter and has a solid fuel dual thrust sustainer rocket motor.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:51:43 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 02:23:10 am »
Anybody can get lucky once.  Of course he could shoot down a plane.  Can he do it reliably?  I don't know.  But just the act of shooting at one of our planes would be enough to light the fuse on the whole mess. He wouldn't have to hit one to start the war
God is still in control

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 02:33:09 am »
Anybody can get lucky once.  Of course he could shoot down a plane.  Can he do it reliably?  I don't know.  But just the act of shooting at one of our planes would be enough to light the fuse on the whole mess. He wouldn't have to hit one to start the war

I really he can't shoot a plane down. These pilots have many,many hours of training both on the ground and the air. They have many countermeasures on their plane for any situation.U.S. pilots are the world's best.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:35:30 am by DemolitionMan »