Author Topic: Ratings Actually Improved During NFL's Tumultuous Week 3  (Read 681 times)

Offline Suppressed

Ratings Actually Improved During NFL's Tumultuous Week 3
« on: September 27, 2017, 01:15:04 am »
Ratings Actually Improved During NFL's Tumultuous Week 3
Solid day games and a surging 'Monday Night Football' keep things ahead of 2016.

SEPTEMBER 26, 2017 7:17am PT by Michael O'Connell
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ratings-actually-improved-nfls-tumultuous-week-3-1042996

Offering at least some anecdotal evidence that the NFL's current ratings predicament is not one with a cut- and-dry cause, Monday Night Football viewership surged on Monday night — helping Week 3 of the season finish in the black, after all.

Across Monday's and all of Sunday's games, even the dampened showing from NBC's marquee primetime showdown, gross overnight ratings for league showdowns weren't off from those of 2016. In fact, they were up a shade — nearly 3 percent. Much thanks here goes to ESPN's Monday franchise, which turned in a whopping 9.3 overnight rating for its best showing.

That makes the Cowboys-Cardinals showdown the best MNF performance for the season thus far, and pacing above the same stretch during 2016. As player participation in protests during the National Anthem seemed to hit a peak — even Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones took a knee in solidarity with his players — this is a huge victory for MNF after a day and full weekend of coverage of the U.S. President openly criticizing protesting athletes, calling some "sons of bitches."

[...]

Excerpt.  Read more at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ratings-actually-improved-nfls-tumultuous-week-3-1042996
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online corbe

Re: Ratings Actually Improved During NFL's Tumultuous Week 3
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 01:31:13 am »

Speaking of politics and the NFL, Hank Williams Jr.’s anthem is back on Monday nights
 By Callum Borchers 
September 26 at 10:55 AM
   

Are you ready for some politics?

“Monday Night Football” featured two iconic songs: “The Star-Spangled Banner” and “All My Rowdy Friends Are Here on Monday Night,” the Hank Williams Jr. theme that asks viewers if they are prepared for pigskin.

The incongruity was jarring. First, the Dallas Cowboys locked arms, knelt and rose for the national anthem in a show of solidarity with players whom President Trump said should be “fired” for protesting racial inequality by refusing to stand. Then ESPN played America's best-known football anthem, performed by a man the network actually did fire six years ago for comparing Barack Obama, the first black president, to Adolf Hitler.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/09/26/more-protests-on-monday-night-football-then-a-song-by-hank-williams-jr-who-compared-obama-to-hitler/?utm_term=.50f5c3c2f64f
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline raml

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 05:14:58 am »
Only reason viewership was there for Cowboys game was because Jerry Jones lied and said if anyone kneeled they would be fired he said it long before Sunday so people tuned in to see if it was true and it wasn't it was not a show of support for the NFL. Any protesting at work is not justified I don't want to know what their politics are. Now the Arizona team all did stand and did not do any protesting I was impressed with them and will continue to support them as long as they continue to keep politics out of football. I am a huge fan of football but will go down to the college level now and if they act up will just watch high school.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:15:43 am by raml »

Silver Pines

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 11:55:04 am »
I expect the ratings will show a dip soon.  Directv has been inundated with customers cancelling their Sunday Ticket.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 12:04:05 pm »
I expect the ratings will show a dip soon.  Directv has been inundated with customers cancelling their Sunday Ticket.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/directv-refunds-sunday-ticket-subscribers-upset-nfl-protests-article-1.3523593

...AT&T, the parent company of DirecTV, usually does not let customers cancel their plans mid-season but made the decision to give refunds out “due to the sensitivity of the issue.”

The company told ESPN they will not share information on how many customers cancel their Sunday Ticket plan....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 12:05:58 pm »
And I'd chalk that down to the MAGA president, for people to see what is going on, at least that's as likely as other theories. BTW, this was already posted in the "sports, entertainment, arts" forum.

Silver Pines

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 01:18:29 pm »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/directv-refunds-sunday-ticket-subscribers-upset-nfl-protests-article-1.3523593

...AT&T, the parent company of DirecTV, usually does not let customers cancel their plans mid-season but made the decision to give refunds out “due to the sensitivity of the issue.”

The company told ESPN they will not share information on how many customers cancel their Sunday Ticket plan....

@thackney

I would love to know those numbers.  Maybe somebody will leak them.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 01:28:20 pm »
Let's see what happens this week/weekend.  I'd also like to know how many ticket holders show up for the games.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 01:39:59 pm »
Let's see what happens this week/weekend.  I'd also like to know how many ticket holders show up for the games.
I had to laugh this morning when I saw a post on KDKA's Facebook feed, a preview of this weekend's Steelers game. The first several comments - and probably many more by now - all said, in essence, "who cares?" 

That's unheard of in Picksburgh, someone saying "who cares" about a Steelers-Ravens game.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 01:45:48 pm »
I had to laugh this morning when I saw a post on KDKA's Facebook feed, a preview of this weekend's Steelers game. The first several comments - and probably many more by now - all said, in essence, "who cares?" 

That's unheard of in Picksburgh, someone saying "who cares" about a Steelers-Ravens game.

Sure is.  There have been some nasty comments on other local TV Facebook pages and other social media sites too.  People around here just aren't happy.  And I don't think they believe the official story(ies) about this stunt.  Didn't mean any disrespect for the flag?  Um...yes, you did.

People might forgive them if they stand on the sidelines this Sunday and honor the flag as they are supposed to do.  Anything less and the Steelers can kiss many of their fans goodbye for good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 02:57:55 pm »

I canceled my NFL ticket and got a full refund.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 03:01:40 pm »
Only reason viewership was there for Cowboys game was because Jerry Jones lied and said if anyone kneeled they would be fired he said it long before Sunday so people tuned in to see if it was true and it wasn't it was not a show of support for the NFL. Any protesting at work is not justified I don't want to know what their politics are. Now the Arizona team all did stand and did not do any protesting I was impressed with them and will continue to support them as long as they continue to keep politics out of football. I am a huge fan of football but will go down to the college level now and if they act up will just watch high school.
What you are describing is the same as why people watch reality TV shows. That is about all NFL will be soon, just a stage presentation where the winner is pre-determined.  Similar to WWF.

People who do not have the principles to respect their own country will certainly be less inclined to respecting an honest game.  Look for games being thrown by the lowlifes.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline verga

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 03:20:31 pm »

This is the first time in almost 20 years I will not be watching this game. I was living in Maryland when they got the Ravens and have been a fan since day one, and have hated the Steelers long before that.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.