Author Topic: ‘Homosexual Conduct Should Be Illegal,’ Roy Moore Said in ‘05 Interview  (Read 17460 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: ‘Homosexual Conduct Should Be Illegal,’ Roy Moore Said in ‘05 Interview
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 01:56:24 pm »
How about shooting heroin?

Shooting heroin? I don't think it should be illegal. Heroin itself... maybe. I'm not a fan of the drug war, or marijuana prohibition, but I wonder about legalizing heroin.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 01:58:12 pm »
I don't think saying that homosexuality should be illegal will cost very many votes in Alabama. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 02:13:30 pm »

I just don't think that the Government should regulate what goes on in the bedroom. Especially between two consenting adults.

@kevindavis
A very popular line to which conservatives haven't had a rational answer beyond, oh yeah or yeah but.

However lets look at it a little deeper.  The Government regulates all kinds of things, in fact they are in control of nearly every facet of our life but lets focus on the 'bedroom'.

The government already -

- defines what attributes a room must have in order to qualify as a bedroom.
- taxes every single thing in the bedroom
- determines the materials used in the bed sitting in the bedroom.  the frame, the sheets, the blanket, the mattress and even the pillows.  They even require manufactures to put little annoying tags on every pillow and every mattress that carry heavy warnings of federal prosecution if removed.
- they already regulate other behavior that takes place in the bedroom.

I could go on but suffice it to say that the federal govt regulates every aspect of our lives.  So in reality the argument that the Government should stay out of our bedrooms is more than a day late and a dollar short. 

The real question is why is the bedroom one of the few places the left DOESN'T want the government to tell us what to do?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 02:26:59 pm »
Do you think championing putting folks in jail for what they do in the bedroom is an effective Conservative position?
Let's put it this way. If people aren't being in your face about their bedroom behaviour, there is no cause for complaint.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 02:28:19 pm »
@kevindavis
A very popular line to which conservatives haven't had a rational answer beyond, oh yeah or yeah but.  However lets look at it a little deeper.  The Government regulates all kinds of things, in fact they are in control of nearly every facet of our life but lets focus on the 'bedroom'.

The government already -

- determines the materials used in the bed sitting in the bedroom.  the frame, the sheets, the blanket, the mattress and even the pillows.  They even require manufactures to put little annoying tags on every pillow and every mattress that carry heavy warnings of federal prosecution if removed.

Are you recommending conservatives stand up and argue that the government regulating the sexual activities between two consenting adults is no different than the government regulating the manufacturing of linens?

@driftdiver

• Technical
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 02:28:35 pm »
@kevindavis
A very popular line to which conservatives haven't had a rational answer beyond, oh yeah or yeah but.

However lets look at it a little deeper.  The Government regulates all kinds of things, in fact they are in control of nearly every facet of our life but lets focus on the 'bedroom'.

The government already -

I could go on but suffice it to say that the federal govt regulates every aspect of our lives.  So in reality the argument that the Government should stay out of our bedrooms is more than a day late and a dollar short. 

The real question is why is the bedroom one of the few places the left DOESN'T want the government to tell us what to do?

This is incoherent. How does the Government overregulating in some areas mean they should police consenting behavior between adults?

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 02:30:55 pm »
Are you recommending conservatives stand up and argue that the government regulating the sexual activities between two consenting adults is no different than the government regulating the manufacturing of linens?

@driftdiver

@Right_in_Virginia
I'm saying the government already regulates everything else in the bedroom so "saying the govt should stay out of the bedroom" is nonsense.

The Word of God says its a sin.  If people choose to go against the word of God a law written by men isn't going to make much difference.   It hasn't in the past several thousand years anyway.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 02:32:32 pm »
This is incoherent. How does the Government overregulating in some areas mean they should police consenting behavior between adults?

@Weird Tolkienish Figure
Nothing I said was incorrect.

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 02:36:06 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia
I'm saying the government already regulates everything else in the bedroom so "saying the govt should stay out of the bedroom" is nonsense. ...

@driftdiver .... Regulating the mechanics of the bedroom itself is not---by any stretch of the imagination--the equivalent of regulating adult human behavior.  I suggest you find a different strategy.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 02:36:34 pm »

@driftdiver
Let me toss out a number. One million, three hundred thousand. That's roughly the number of HIV/AIDS infected known in the USA. Because of the mandatory pre-existing condition coverage offered by Obamacare, that's the trillion dollar price of this behaviour we all get to share, and that number will increase as more are infected and diagnosed. (Really, why did you think the price of insurance went up so much?)

As for linens, in contrast, some 10.5 people per million in the US died of fire (all causes), and if every one of those deaths were in bed, or from sleepwear catching fire, that's under 3500 people a year. Yet the government requires flame retardant fabrics.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 02:39:29 pm »
Just ridiculous.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure
How is it ridiculous?   I'm pointing out how ridiculous the argument is.  Perhaps that is what has you so up in arms.

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 02:39:31 pm »
Let me toss out a number. One million, three hundred thousand. That's roughly the number of HIV/AIDS infected known in the USA. Because of the mandatory pre-existing condition coverage offered by Obamacare, that's the trillion dollar price of this behaviour we all get to share, and that number will increase as more are infected and diagnosed. (Really, why did you think the price of insurance went up so much?)

As for linens, in contrast, some 10.5 people per million in the US died of fire (all causes), and if every one of those deaths were in bed, or from sleepwear catching fire, that's under 3500 people a year. Yet the government requires flame retardant fabrics.

Nope.  As awful as this is, it does not justify the government regulating sexual activity between two consenting adults.

I'm disappointed small government, constitutional conservatives do not recognize this.

Edited to add:  This intrusive POV is a large part of the reason why conservatives cannot gain national traction.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:41:55 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

• Technical
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 02:40:12 pm »
I'm disappointed small government, constitutional conservatives do not recognize this.

Disappointed but not surprised. One reason I am proudly no longer a conservative.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:16 pm »
@driftdiver .... Regulating the mechanics of the bedroom itself is not---by any stretch of the imagination--the equivalent of regulating adult human behavior.  I suggest you find a different strategy.

@Right_in_Virginia
I suggest you find a different argument to justify why homosexual behavior should be legal.  Especially since its not constrained to just the bedroom.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2017, 02:42:32 pm »
Nope.  As awful as this is, it does not justify the government regulating sexual activity between two consenting adults.

@Right_in_Virginia
So in your view the government should not regulate sexual activity between family members who are adults?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2017, 02:42:39 pm »

Just keep it in the bedroom and who would bother to pursue it? Instead, the 'love that dare not speak' has become the one that just won't shut up.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2017, 02:43:41 pm »

@driftdiver

Actually, when you look at it objectively, it's not any different.  What is the supposed purpose for the regulations on the manufacturing of bedding?  Safety.  Some sexual activities can certainly be deadly.  So why not approach it from that viewpoint?  Except that emotional people don't want to listen to reasoning for why they should not engage in certain activities.

• Technical
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 02:43:59 pm »
Just keep it in the bedroom and who would bother to pursue it? Instead, the 'love that dare not speak' has become the one that just won't shut up.

You gonna put people in jail for holding hands or kissing? A "small government" conservative!

What a joke.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2017, 02:44:47 pm »

Edited to add:  This intrusive POV is a large part of the reason why conservatives cannot gain national traction.

@Right_in_Virginia
So the 2% of our population that is homosexual who are significantly liberal to start with, aren't voting conservative because of this issue?

Reeaaally?

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 02:46:45 pm »
You gonna put people in jail for holding hands or kissing? A "small government" conservative!

What a joke.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure
Never said I would, in fact I said that if people are willing to ignore Gods Word on the subject then what good would a law do.

What I did say is the argument that the Govt should stay out of the bedroom is an indefensible & weak argument.

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2017, 02:48:21 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia
I suggest you find a different argument to justify why homosexual behavior should be legal.  Especially since its not constrained to just the bedroom.

@driftdiver

If you want to continue to support and advocate for a government intruding into and regulating consensual adult sexual relations ... I suggest you stop asking why conservatives are falling deeper and deeper into the dustbin of political irrelevance.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 02:49:17 pm »
:2popcorn:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

• Technical
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2017, 02:49:23 pm »
What I did say is the argument that the Govt should stay out of the bedroom is an indefensible & weak argument.

If you say so. Most people would agree with me.

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2017, 02:51:36 pm »
Actually, when you look at it objectively, it's not any different. 

Yes, yes it is. 

If conservatives would stick to small government and get the hell out of regulating sex ... maybe, just maybe voters would take your opinions seriously.