Author Topic: Steelers Alejandro Villanueva: ‘I Threw My Teammates Under The Bus Unintentionally’  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Suppressed

Time to start taking away all the tax bennies these people live off of.  Once the teams have to pay full freight for their stadiums and everything else, those precious salaries will take more than a little haircut.
:thumbsup2: :thumbsup3: 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
That is what his coach argued...Vilanueva should have stayed with his first instinct...

When your Super Bowl-winning QB writes that "I couldn't sleep...laid awake all night thinking the team was wrong staying in the locker room", etc.,

...any miscue and sloppy play will be blamed on Villanueva.

IMO, THAT'S why he came out and said this.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jpsb

It was still a political statement.  They absolutely didn't have to take a knee for anything.  They think this somehow gets around not kneeling for the NA. It doesn't.  They were still making a political statement.

Trying to please two masters? Good luck with that.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Who gets hosed in this whole thing, is Coach Mike Tomlin, one of the most successful African-American coaches the NFL has had. A bit ironic.

And yes, I'm sure he failed to manage this situation well... cooked up by some guy 1600 miles away on the West coast but he has to deal with it. That's what upsets me a bit about this.

Tomlin all this year, I always see him wearing a cross around his neck, on display.. so that is a positive for me.

Offline Mom MD

Who gets hosed in this whole thing, is Coach Mike Tomlin, one of the most successful African-American coaches the NFL has had. A bit ironic.

And yes, I'm sure he failed to manage this situation well... cooked up by some guy 1600 miles away on the West coast but he has to deal with it. That's what upsets me a bit about this.

Tomlin all this year, I always see him wearing a cross around his neck, on display.. so that is a positive for me.

His actions speak louder than his jewelry....
God is still in control

Offline RetBobbyMI

The specific NFL rule pertaining to the National Anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the NFL League Rulebook. It states: “The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. ... “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition... ...It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.” Time to fire the disrespectful players!!! FIRE THAT DISRESPECTFUL ARROGANT CE-No and all the thugs who do the disrespectful acts......BOYCOTT the NFL & NBA and all the sponsors do not buy a damn thing !
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline TomSea

Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven.

They ought to make a bumpersticker.

And no, I don't know what is in a man's heart; what if he's done a lot of good charitable work? I would not be so quick to judge and that's pretty condescending to just call a cross "jewelry".
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:35:33 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Baseball plays 162 games a year, what a circus if they have to start having to deal with this. The players are so far from the stands, I don't know if I'd even take notice.

Offline Mom MD

Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven.

They ought to make a bumpersticker.

Absolutely, me as well.  But when wearing a cross one should be mindful of ones actions.
God is still in control

Offline jpsb

:thumbsup:

Offline TomSea

Vilianueva accidentally got pushed out of the tunnel because of some Chicago Bears fans going by on the field. Other Steelers remained in the tunnel, see picture.  Tomlin said they wanted to stay away from controversy.

For all we know, Tomlin may have done more charitable work than any of us, so to ridicule his Christianity and the cross as "jewelry" I disagree with.

He is a human being and he was presented with an idiotic situation that he should not have been dealing with in the first place.

I don't think folks are commenting on all facts available and I'm not going to rush to judgement.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:44:04 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Absolutely, me as well.  But when wearing a cross one should be mindful of ones actions.

Well, I thought the cross was just "jewelry", so I agree with your statement, I think.

Offline Suppressed

The specific NFL rule pertaining to the National Anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the NFL League Rulebook.

Nope.  It's not in the NFL Rulebook.

That quote is from the game operations manual.

http://time.com/4955704/nfl-league-rulebook-a62-63-national-anthem-rule/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

RAT Patrol

I hope all those Villanueva jersey buyers find out and return their purchase.  His top selling status will be very short lived.

Offline TomSea

"I hope all those Villanueva jersey buyers find out and return their purchase.  His top selling status will be very short lived."

Despite our calling these NFLers millionaires which they may well be, they only have an average career of 3 and a half years or something like that. Again, I don't expect people to be perfect; oh the great sin of this Alejandro Villanueva and he did serve in Afghanistan after all.  His act still stands.

Offline TomSea

Nope.  It's not in the NFL Rulebook.

That quote is from the game operations manual.

http://time.com/4955704/nfl-league-rulebook-a62-63-national-anthem-rule/

It still sounds like that NFL game operations manual could carry some weight though; if discipline is an issue.  I saw some article on that as well.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

If, IF, the team decided not to participate because some were going to protest and some were not, and they wanted to maintain team unity and/or not bring politics into the game, then maybe he did the "wrong" thing, making it look like his team was protesting when all they were really doing was trying to stay the heck out of it all.

But then I've got a few tours to serve before I criticize his choice.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

RAT Patrol

"I hope all those Villanueva jersey buyers find out and return their purchase.  His top selling status will be very short lived."

Despite our calling these NFLers millionaires which they may well be, they only have an average career of 3 and a half years or something like that. Again, I don't expect people to be perfect; oh the great sin of this Alejandro Villanueva and he did serve in Afghanistan after all.  His act still stands.

I thank him for his military service.  But if I had bought his jersey yesterday, you can bet I would return it.  It's not a charity.  People were buying his jersey BECAUSE he stood for the National Anthem.

Offline Mom MD

Well, I thought the cross was just "jewelry", so I agree with your statement, I think.

Let me clarify.  A lot of people wear crosses for a lot of reasons, not necessarily Christian ones.  I have seen gangsters and rappers wearing crosses because it was fashionable not because they are even remotely Christian.  Same with Bill Clinton carrying the biggest Bible he could find when he was in trouble.  So while I appreciate someone wearing a cross, their actions are an important clue to what it really means to them. Conversly as a Christian who wears a cross it is incumbent on me to not let my actions dishonor the One whos symbol I wear.  Am I perfect at it?  Of course not.  But we are ultimately judged by our actions not the symbols we wear.  And unfortunately Christianity is often judged by the actions of those wearing its symbol. 
God is still in control

Offline TomSea

Usually, I would not post Bible verses but if someone likens the cross to jewelry, I remember the words of Paul:

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
1 Corinthians 1:18

That is how I see the cross, as salvation, hardly as jewelry.

Offline Applewood

I watched some of Villanueva press conference.  Actually, he was there only to give a statement and it sounded to me like it was coerced.  The poor guy was talking rapidly,  as if he had been given all these talking points and he was trying to be sure he remembered them all.

Seems to me these statements/press conferences were all damage control. Unfortunately, it didn't work, IMO.  Trying to avoid the controversy?  Nah.  They were cowards.  Villanueva was the only brave one of the bunch and he has been made to look like the coward.   He has nothing to be ashamed of, but the rest of the team, the coaches and the owners do. 

Speaking of owners, I saw Art Rooney II's statement, and all I could think of was that the old man, Art Rooney, Sr. wouldn't have put up with this cr@p.  If he were around today, those players would have been on the field, standing for the anthem.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline verga

There goes his jersey sales... :whistle:
Monday they said his Jersey salws went through the roof, I wonder how many will be canceled or returned.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Applewood

Monday they said his Jersey salws went through the roof, I wonder how many will be canceled or returned.

If there is fallout, Villanueva doesn't deserve it. 

Silver Pines

Jerry can take his $150 parking at Jerry World and stick it where the sun don't shine.

@dfwgator

How did he make the trip from "anybody on the team who kneels will be gone" to kneeling himself?  That's a long journey.  What the hell?