Author Topic: Steelers Alejandro Villanueva: ‘I Threw My Teammates Under The Bus Unintentionally’  (Read 6140 times)

Silver Pines

So the gesture he made at the game is now meaningless.  Great.

Offline DB

@dfwgator

How did he make the trip from "anybody on the team who kneels will be gone" to kneeling himself?  That's a long journey.  What the hell?

He's taking both sides without actually taking a stand on the issue.

Offline mountaineer

If there is fallout, Villanueva doesn't deserve it.
@Applewood  What do you think would have happened if Al had told Tomlin and Steelers officials, no, I won't apologize for anything, I did the right thing?

Had the team then tried to discipline him, it would have lost even more fans.

I wish he had not knuckled under the way he did.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
So the gesture he made at the game is now meaningless.  Great.

Like hell, it is.

The majority of 'fans' understand the position he was in, once Mike Tomlin made the '100% unity' statment.

Roethisberger's statement of insomnia/guilt 'Trumps' Tomlin's.

I'd proudly still wear/buy his jersey.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Applewood

@Applewood  What do you think would have happened if Al had told Tomlin and Steelers officials, no, I won't apologize for anything, I did the right thing?

Had the team then tried to discipline him, it would have lost even more fans.

I wish he had not knuckled under the way he did.  **nononono*

I do too, but I still think he was coerced somehow. Under those circumstances, I'm willing to forgive him, not the rest of the team and management. 

Let's see what these guys do next Sunday.   If the team comes out, and stands at attention to honor the flag, maybe fans will forgive them.  Another stunt like Sunday's and the fans will be gone. 

Offline verga

If there is fallout, Villanueva doesn't deserve it.
@Applewood, respectfully I disagree. He took a stand when he walked out on the field alone and stood for the anthem. He then reneged on that when he said he was wrong for doing that. The brave thing was to stand alone.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

I tend to agree, @verga. He did the brave, right thing on Sunday. He did a chicken thing on Monday.

It's hard to believe an Army Ranger with a Bronze Star wouldn't exhibit more backbone, even to his boss.

Having lost all interest in pro football, I really don't care what he or any of the rest of them do this weekend.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline RetBobbyMI

I tend to agree, @verga. He did the brave, right thing on Sunday. He did a chicken thing on Monday.

It's hard to believe an Army Ranger with a Bronze Star wouldn't exhibit more backbone, even to his boss.

Having lost all interest in pro football, I really don't care what he or any of the rest of them do this weekend.
Have to agree.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Steelers team decided how they were going to deal with the issue, I think people are misconstruing Tomlin's role in this, he's the coach but the team made a decision.

Villanueva by err, got caught outside the tunnel where a number of Steelers including Roethlisberger and others were. So, it was not a situation where Villanueva said to heck with 'em and ran out there.

The Steelers in error, were trying to avoid the whole controversy. Locking arms is not much better if it is even. I'm not going to diss the Steelers for basically coming up with a comedy of errors, the team made the decision and they've been transparent about it. Villanueva and Tomlin say the same thing.  Their stories match up.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I have to give Trump credit, he once again pushed an issue that got his opponents to totally trip themselves up. The steelers look like cowards, as do the entire NFL.

Offline dfwgator

I have to give Trump credit, he once again pushed an issue that got his opponents to totally trip themselves up. The steelers look like cowards, as do the entire NFL.

Trump makes the masks come off.

Offline endicom

When a thing like this is simmering underground is when it can go to any absurd length and be believed. When it comes into the open is when the absurdities become clear.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

But how exactly does this to anything to a) get a budget passed b) get tax reform/cuts introduced to congress c) repeal Obamacare or d) deal with the increasing threats from Russia, China and North Korea?

He's diving head first into the shallow end of the pool and dealing with seriously superficial stuff at the end of the day when he should be concentrating on the really important things that he needs to attend to as President.

It gives the distinct impression and visual that he's unserious about the job.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
But how exactly does this to anything to a) get a budget passed b) get tax reform/cuts introduced to congress c) repeal Obamacare or d) deal with the increasing threats from Russia, China and North Korea?

He's diving head first into the shallow end of the pool and dealing with seriously superficial stuff at the end of the day when he should be concentrating on the really important things that he needs to attend to as President.

Your criticisms are valid, it's just that Trump seems to win media battles like this more times than not.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Time to start taking away all the tax bennies these people live off of.  Once the teams have to pay full freight for their stadiums and everything else, those precious salaries will take more than a little haircut.

:amen:  Let's see what they think when they are back in the hood pimpin ho's and running dope for a living!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

If, IF, the team decided not to participate because some were going to protest and some were not, and they wanted to maintain team unity and/or not bring politics into the game, then maybe he did the "wrong" thing, making it look like his team was protesting when all they were really doing was trying to stay the heck out of it all.

I think this is probably what happened. I've been told that Coach Tomlin was supposed to be on Glenn Beck to say that, but Goodell stopped him from doing so -- anyone confirm that?

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online DCPatriot

???

He's all in  that "there's a pony in there somewhere".  That being more Congressional and Senate seats so that he can flip the bird to all the obstructionists.   In BOTH Parties.

He's used their Alinsky tactics masterfully against them,  They don't know if they should poop...or go home.

GO HOME! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
???

He's all in  that "there's a pony in there somewhere".  That being more Congressional and Senate seats so that he can flip the bird to all the obstructionists.   In BOTH Parties.

He's the President of the United States...notionally the most powerful man in the world...he needs to show leadership.  He has the bully pulpit to get Congress off their collective @ss and get something done.

You're more content it seems to defend him with tired 8 year old Mitch McConnell/establishment excuses as to why nothing gets done.

Pathetic.

He's used their Alinsky tactics masterfully against them,  They don't know if they should poop...or go home.

So when Obama and Hillary use Alinsky against the country it's evil...but when it's your boy Donny its suddenly perfectly ok?

Double standard much?

GO HOME!

Get bent.

Online DCPatriot

He's the President of the United States...notionally the most powerful man in the world...he needs to show leadership.  He has the bully pulpit to get Congress off their collective @ss and get something done.

You're more content it seems to defend him with tired 8 year old Mitch McConnell/establishment excuses as to why nothing gets done.

Pathetic.

So when Obama and Hillary use Alinsky against the country it's evil...but when it's your boy Donny its suddenly perfectly ok?

Double standard much?

Get bent.

No Tex.....who's pathetic is YOU!

We're trying to expose the LEFT's anti-American agenda.  And I'm for using every 'weapon' available.

They've been successful using their tactics....or we wouldn't be here in this situation today.

To not mirror their tactics against them would not only be insane....but it would be CRIMINAL!

...just MHO.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

We're trying to expose the LEFT's anti-American agenda.  And I'm for using every 'weapon' available.

They've been successful using their tactics....or we wouldn't be here in this situation today.

To not mirror their tactics against them would not only be insane....but it would be CRIMINAL!

...just MHO.
Expose the Left's agenda??!

It's been proudly naked in the streets for a decade, what's to expose?

Using their tactics just blurs the lines between who is a despicable leftist and who isn't.

Leftist is as leftist does, Forrest.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

...just MHO.

To step down to their level would eliminate the reason for being different.  No thanks.  I don't want to win by losing who I am.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
To step down to their level would eliminate the reason for being different.  No thanks.  I don't want to win by losing who I am.

You and me both.  Sad that some people's beleifs and values are for sale to the highest bidder.

Offline goatprairie

You're right on most of your argument, but this issue is one big reason why Trump got elected in the first place.
No, he shouldn't have made comments about teams firing players or calling them names.
But that's exactly why many of his strongest backers love him...he dives head first into a situation where many others dance around the matter,  procrastinate or say nothing.
I rarely watch any NFL games, so if the whole league went down, I wouldn't shed any tears. 
But Trump has correctly sensed that many millions of Americans, including me, are fed up with liberal/leftist antics.  Rightly or wrongly, he is their loudspeaker.
So while most of our "leaders" are too chicken to make a statement on the matter, Trump isn't.  As Rich Lowry now acknowledges, that's a big reason why Trump is the president.

Online DCPatriot

You, together with all the 'Principles' in the world....will not be enough to keep you and your offspring out of a life of 'servitude' to the State.

And while you're deciding.....please step to the side and get the hell out of the way.