Author Topic: Steelers Alejandro Villanueva: ‘I Threw My Teammates Under The Bus Unintentionally’  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Steelers Alejandro Villanueva: ‘I Threw My Teammates Under The Bus Unintentionally’
CBS Pittsburg, Sep 25, 2017

Pittsburgh Steelers lineman Alejandro Villanueva says the national anthem ordeal got out of control and he is taking the blame.

“Unfortunately, I threw my teammates under the bus, unintentionally,” Villanueva said. “Every single time I see that picture of me, standing by myself, I feel embarrassed,” Villanueva said in a press conference Monday.

Villanueva was the only Steelers player standing outside the tunnel for the national anthem before their game Sunday against the Chicago Bears.

Villanueva says he asked quarterback Ben Roethlisberger if he could be out in front with the captains during the national anthem and they agreed to it, but when he went to the front of the tunnel to see the flag, he went too far unintentionally.

“When we came out of the locker room into that tunnel, it was a very small area. There was a flag or something coming off the field so there were a bunch of Bears’ fans, coming off the field holding that going in front of us, so it kind of held us up,” Villanueva said.

The rest of the team remained in the tunnel.

“I made my teammates look bad, and that is my fault, and my fault only,” Villanueva said. “We as a team tried to figure it out, but obviously butchered it.”

During his press conference, the former Army Ranger says he is absolutely okay if teammates kneel or sit during the national anthem.

“People that are taking a knee are not saying anything negative about the military, they’re not saying anything negative about the flag, they’re just trying to protest that there are some injustices in America,” Villanueva said.

Read more: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/09/25/alejandro-villanueva-speaks-about-national-anthem/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This is heartbreaking ...  have we no heroes??    **nononono*

RAT Patrol

Well, it's easier to dislike the entire team.  So buzz off, loser Villanueva.  Wimp!

RAT Patrol

Certainly not in professional sports.  Or wait....Drew Brees made a great statement.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:05:11 am by RAT Patrol »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

I did until he said all this...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mom MD

Disappointing yes heartbreaking no.  I don't put my faith in men.  I used to enjoy football but now not so much.   I hope the NFL goes straight down the memory hole.
God is still in control

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
There goes his jersey sales... :whistle:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sounds like his coach got to him...if the case, it's very disappointing especially from a very brave man.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=282799.new#new
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline DB

Actually, it was your teammates that threw you and the country under the bus.

I hope there is hell to pay.

Offline endicom

Sounds like his coach got to him...if the case, it's very disappointing especially from a very brave man.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=282799.new#new

Villanueva is not a politician but a guy imbued with loyalty to the squad. That now carries over to the team.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
He did what he thought was right. No doubt he is getting a ridiculous amount of pressure about it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Villanueva is not a politician but a guy imbued with loyalty to the squad. That now carries over to the team.

That is what his coach argued...Vilanueva should have stayed with his first instinct...
Support the USO

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

This! 888high58888
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
That was interesting.

All the Cowboys and Cardinals took a knee together before the anthem, then all stood together for the anthem.

Offline dfwgator

That was interesting.

All the Cowboys and Cardinals took a knee together before the anthem, then all stood together for the anthem.

Adios, Vaqueros.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Adios, Vaqueros.

Que?  They stood for the anthem together. Or was this really not about standing for the anthem?

Offline goatprairie

That was interesting.

It was still a political statement.  They absolutely didn't have to take a knee for anything.  They think this somehow gets around not kneeling for the NA. It doesn't.  They were still making a political statement.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:58:37 am by goatprairie »

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
He caved. He was probably pressured.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
He seems to be saying that the team actually wanted to be out there?

Oceander

Time to start taking away all the tax bennies these people live off of.  Once the teams have to pay full freight for their stadiums and everything else, those precious salaries will take more than a little haircut. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The whole ambience of the NFL has made it to where it's been knocked down on my priorities for years; the main thing has been the concussion issue.

How do the sayings go? The heroes are firemen, those who really make sacrifices, those feeding the hungry and so on.

As for Villanueva, others may not feel this way, I've never really liked Roethlisberger but it seems he's come out trying to mend some fences, he was there in the corridor; it's looking like a mix-up to me. A player is only one small part of the team, even the quarterbacks.

Unfortunately, it appears this will spread to other sports.

There are ways to make a protest, disrespecting our flag is a pretty sorry way to.

This statement is very disjointed, I hope it's not too incoherent. A lot of different ideas on all of this today.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:52:17 am by TomSea »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Que?  They stood for the anthem together. Or was this really not about standing for the anthem?

It's mostly about that. It's also about having a venue where fans (the customer) can escape the incessant bickering and division. It's a game, and the whiners have taken all the joy out of it.

What these teams did tonight was cowardly. They straddled the fence. I'm done with football.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline dfwgator

Time to start taking away all the tax bennies these people live off of.  Once the teams have to pay full freight for their stadiums and everything else, those precious salaries will take more than a little haircut.

Jerry can take his $150 parking at Jerry World and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Offline jpsb

:thumbsup: