Author Topic: Thanks to North Korea, An Arms Race May Be Coming to Asia  (Read 509 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Thanks to North Korea, An Arms Race May Be Coming to Asia
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:58:20 am »
Jacob Heilbrunn and Wallace C. Gregson

Maybe now we will finally realize who North Korea is. Over the decades since the collapse of the Soviet Union we repeatedly assured ourselves and others that negotiations, agreements, economic cooperation, sanctions, threats and international scolding could reform, or at least restrain, North Korea. Each stratagem was tried in its turn, and repeated, to little effect. But we felt better. For a while.

In the first post-Soviet happy celebratory days, we assumed that the loss of North Korea’s most generous patron doomed the regime. We soon realized that the regime was not going away quietly, like Nicolae Ceausescu, when Kim Il-sung first raised the nuclear specter. We were forced to adjust. A fundamental, if implicit, assumption since that time was that we must deal with North Korea as a country, brutally and eccentrically autocratic to be sure, but one that would react to the right mix of policies and strategies by the United States and our allies. That’s what governmental institutions do, after all.

more

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/thanks-north-korea-arms-race-may-be-coming-asia-22214
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Thanks to North Korea, An Arms Race May Be Coming to Asia
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:04:10 am »
I'm guessing an arms race would be more entertaining that a footrace among Orientals. Their short legs makes races lame.

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:58:05 am »
If there is an arms race, it will be due to China not putting their dog on a leash.

Offline anubias

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 04:08:20 am »
If there is an arms race, it will be due to China not putting their dog on a leash.

Or their cat either.  :P

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 04:20:12 am »

This could be solved by the Chinese by putting pressure on North Korea. Stop supplying them with weapons and natural resourses.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 04:21:58 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 04:30:15 am »
This could be solved by the Chinese by putting pressure on North Korea. Stop supplying them with weapons and natural resourses.

This is a North Korean missile mounted on a  Chinese made TEL