Author Topic: One Man Ignored the Pittsburgh Steelers’s Boycott of the National Anthem  (Read 498 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
One Man Ignored the Pittsburgh Steelers’s Boycott of the National Anthem

The sad spectacle of overpaid athletes making a statement about oppression and inequality by refusing to stand for the presentation of the US flag and the playing of the national anthem continues.

There was one bright spot today. In Pittsburgh, the entire Steeler team cowered in the locker room while the degrading spectacle of paying respect to the nation that enabled them to make a seven or eight figure salary was taking place except for one man:

That man was offensive tackle, Alejandro Villanueva. Villanueva–who was born in Meridian, MS, to parents who were both Spanish citizens–is a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point. He is an infantry officer. He is a graduate of airborne and Ranger school. He served in 1st Ranger Battalion (Hunter Army Airfield, GA) and did three deployments to Afghanistan, winning a Bronze Star with “V” device for heroism under fire. He also shares my view on the douchebaggery that Colin Kaepernick has brought into the NFL in his search attempt to be the Michael Sam of the Black Lives Matter movement:

“I don’t know if the most effective way is to sit down during the national anthem with a country that’s providing you freedom, providing you $16 million a year … when there are black minorities that are dying in Iraq and Afghanistan for less than $20,000 a year.”

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2017/09/24/villanueva-steelers-boycott-national-anthem/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:37:38 am by mystery-ak »
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:38:07 am »
Since I was picking on Red State today, I had to go back there and I realized I over-reacted to a vapid column by Susan Wright.

They had a lot of other interesting stuff, including this.

This NFL protest thing has gone way over the top.  Not sure what is going on, but I'm afraid some players are being intimidated into going along with this ridiculous protest movement.

It was rampant today and totally ticked off many, many fans.

The NFL may be majority Black but it is majority privileged Black and the fans are generally majority 'not that privileged' White people.

Poor leadership at the helm of the NFL is not helping ... the Commish should go before all the fans do.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:03:16 am by mystery-ak »
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

RAT Patrol

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:43:35 am »
Since I was picking on Red State today, I had to go back there and I realized I over-reacted to a vapid column by Susan Wright.

They had a lot of other interesting stuff, including this.

This NFL protest thing has gone way over the top.  Not sure what is going on, but I'm afraid some players are being intimidated into going along with this ridiculous protest movement.

It was rampant today and totally ticked off many, many fans.

The NFL may be majority Black but it is majority privileged Black and the fans are generally majority 'not that privileged' White people.

Poor leadership at the helm of the NFL is not helping ... the Commish should go before all the fans do.

I would like to be underprivileged like those NFL players.  They are millionaires and treated like royalty for basically nothing important.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:03:37 am by mystery-ak »

Oceander

Re: One Man Ignored the Pittsburgh Steelers’s Boycott of the National Anthem
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:01:28 am »
Someone needs to edit the two responses to correct the subject line so that it matches the OP's subject line.