Author Topic: NFL Players Kneel During National Anthem in London  (Read 2954 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: NFL Players Kneel During National Anthem in London
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2017, 04:33:58 pm »
I guess the proof of that will come when we see if folks continue to buy their products.

I don't know if ticket sales are the goal, I just think everyone is getting played and used for a big game, a game to divide people and get people at each other's throats.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2017, 07:13:02 pm »
It would seem to me a lot of people have become incredibly self-important, which is its own kind of crazy.  I'm betting this will have an impact on the league financially – it's just a matter of how much.
Break down the 'league' and you get
A. Owners - big time
B. Players/coaches - bigger time
C. NFL admin - biggest of time
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2017, 08:03:17 pm »
Well now the NFL has a problem. This will spark a big reaction from the fans. Boycotts, protests... for and against the NFL, I wouldn't be surprised to see both. But most importantly the everyday fan who tunes in to see a game and not a political controversy will stop tuning in. Viewership numbers will continue to fall, the League will start to see a drop in game attendance (ticket sales will stay good for a while, but people will stop going), and they'll start to see a drop in merchandise sales.

Goodell could have stepped on this and put a stop to it last year, when it was a few isolated players. Now it's too big to step on. At the end of the year the owners will take a look at the results, and if they have any sense Goodell will be removed as commissioner. If they don't remove him before next season, they'll remove him after next season, because if they don't remove him then next season will only be worse. The only way for the League to get out of this is to remove Goodell and replace him with a hard-ass who will restore order with fines and suspensions.

But I expect it to get worse before the owners react.
Let it burn.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2017, 08:52:51 pm »
Hahahahahaha......PIT loses to CHI in OT.  Serves them right for the pregame BS.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2017, 10:46:33 pm »
Hahahahahaha......PIT loses to CHI in OT.  Serves them right for the pregame BS.

Here's to hoping they lose every game the rest of the season.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2017, 11:00:30 pm »
Well now the NFL has a problem. This will spark a big reaction from the fans. Boycotts, protests... for and against the NFL, I wouldn't be surprised to see both. But most importantly the everyday fan who tunes in to see a game and not a political controversy will stop tuning in. Viewership numbers will continue to fall, the League will start to see a drop in game attendance (ticket sales will stay good for a while, but people will stop going), and they'll start to see a drop in merchandise sales.

Goodell could have stepped on this and put a stop to it last year, when it was a few isolated players. Now it's too big to step on. At the end of the year the owners will take a look at the results, and if they have any sense Goodell will be removed as commissioner. If they don't remove him before next season, they'll remove him after next season, because if they don't remove him then next season will only be worse. The only way for the League to get out of this is to remove Goodell and replace him with a hard-ass who will restore order with fines and suspensions.

The reason attendance is down is twofold:

1) Game telecasts are so technologically advanced that the 'Real Game Experience' is moot.   Plus, it's a helluva lot cheaper.

2) ...and it follows that "Fantasy Football" has become a #1 draw to many fans.   They somewhat check their loyalty at the door so to speak, and instead watch their own fantasy players stats instead of who wins and who loses.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2017, 12:25:27 am »
The reason attendance is down is twofold:

1) Game telecasts are so technologically advanced that the 'Real Game Experience' is moot.   Plus, it's a helluva lot cheaper.

2) ...and it follows that "Fantasy Football" has become a #1 draw to many fans.   They somewhat check their loyalty at the door so to speak, and instead watch their own fantasy players stats instead of who wins and who loses.

The reasons don't matter, what matters is that the NFL did not need more reasons for fans to leave. Instead of quashing this when it was small and keeping the league as apolitical as they could, they have chosen to let it grow and even worse, they'll now be perceived as having chosen sides. This will antagonize those who voted for or otherwise support Pres. Trump, and those who don't have strong political leanings will think to themselves, "I just want to see a good game, I'm tired of this political BS!" and instead of watching, they'll go look at Netflix to see what's streaming.

As I've just done.  ^-^
Let it burn.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2017, 12:33:40 am »
The reasons don't matter, what matters is that the NFL did not need more reasons for fans to leave. Instead of quashing this when it was small and keeping the league as apolitical as they could, they have chosen to let it grow and even worse, they'll now be perceived as having chosen sides. This will antagonize those who voted for or otherwise support Pres. Trump, and those who don't have strong political leanings will think to themselves, "I just want to see a good game, I'm tired of this political BS!" and instead of watching, they'll go look at Netflix to see what's streaming.

As I've just done.  ^-^

NARCOS is excellent!   OZARK, too!

...if you are able to discount the gay relationships in supporting character roles.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2017, 01:00:25 am »
NARCOS is excellent!   OZARK, too!

...if you are able to discount the gay relationships in supporting character roles.    :laugh:

I'm also a fan of IT Crowd, Black Mirror, Peaky Blinders, The Crown, Halt And Catch Fire, and House Of Cards.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline anubias

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2017, 02:00:16 am »
I'm also a fan of IT Crowd, Black Mirror, Peaky Blinders, The Crown, Halt And Catch Fire, and House Of Cards.

Bless you two @edpc and @DCPatriot  I have been trying to decide what to watch next.  I thoroughly enjoyed The Crown, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Narcos, others I can't remember the names, and El Chapo, but I wish I'd waited until November to watch El Chapo as that is when the next 9 episodes are supposedly coming out.  I was thinking of trying OZARK, but wasn't sure.  Now I have a list of good ones thanks to you two!   :beer:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:01:20 am by anubias »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2017, 02:24:32 am »
Bless you two @edpc and @DCPatriot  I have been trying to decide what to watch next.  I thoroughly enjoyed The Crown, House of Cards, a color that shall not be named is the New Black, Narcos, others I can't remember the names, and El Chapo, but I wish I'd waited until November to watch El Chapo as that is when the next 9 episodes are supposedly coming out.  I was thinking of trying OZARK, but wasn't sure.  Now I have a list of good ones thanks to you two!   :beer:

Jason Bateman is very good in OZARK....a serious role for a change (as opposed to his comedy flicks)

It's like Breaking Bad, but a different twist.

TURN is another very excellent series.   About the Revolutionary War.

@CatherineofAragon 's avatar is that of the 'Special Forces' Queens Guard....and that particular guy is one evil SOB.  I tease her about whenever the opportunity arises.   :laugh:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2017, 02:32:21 am »
I am waiting on the new and final season of Longmire... should be coming out any day now.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2017, 02:37:42 am »
I am waiting on the new and final season of Longmire... should be coming out any day now.

Was one of my early favorites on Netflix.

...but last season sucked, when Walt turned into a brooding blob.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2017, 02:38:16 am »
Bless you two @edpc and @DCPatriot  I have been trying to decide what to watch next.  I thoroughly enjoyed The Crown, House of Cards, a color that shall not be named is the New Black, Narcos, others I can't remember the names, and El Chapo, but I wish I'd waited until November to watch El Chapo as that is when the next 9 episodes are supposedly coming out.  I was thinking of trying OZARK, but wasn't sure.  Now I have a list of good ones thanks to you two!   :beer:

PS:   Also, consider Hell on Wheels.    :laugh:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2017, 02:40:41 am »
Was one of my early favorites on Netflix.

...but last season sucked, when Walt turned into a brooding blob.

Yeah, alright... But Henry's all staked out on the Crow Res and gonna die. I've gotta see how that turns out.

Really, there hasn't been much in TV series that have turned me on much.  Longmire, Justified... Maybe Jericho... Most of it isn't worth mention.

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2017, 02:53:50 am »
I'll put a good word in for The Last Ship on TNT. The fourth season just started, and the first three seasons are available on Hulu.
Let it burn.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2017, 02:56:29 am »

This is what happens when an SJW becomes Commissioner.

Offline anubias

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2017, 03:24:21 am »
Jason Bateman is very good in OZARK....a serious role for a change (as opposed to his comedy flicks)

@CatherineofAragon 's avatar is that of the 'Special Forces' Queens Guard....and that particular guy is one evil SOB.  I tease her about whenever the opportunity arises.   :laugh:

Thanks @DCPatriot !

Offline anubias

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2017, 03:26:25 am »

Me too @roamer_1 I check daily for it.  They already have the date for the next season of The Crown displayed (December), but still nothing on Longmire.  I'm disappointed they are ending it, but it appears they want shows that appeal to younger folks, not us old fogies. 

Offline anubias

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2017, 03:29:13 am »
I'll put a good word in for The Last Ship on TNT. The fourth season just started, and the first three seasons are available on Hulu.

Thanks Ghost Bear.  I'll look for it.  :)

Silver Pines

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2017, 08:22:41 pm »

@DCPatriot

I keep telling you, he isn't evil.  He's just misunderstood, and he's a cupcake.   :laugh:

But yes, for my husband and me, TURN knocked The Walking Dead out of the #1 spot for best show on TV.  The first season starts out a little slow, but if anybody decides to watch, stick with it.  It gets better and better, and becomes a rollercoaster.  It's like TWD used to be---every scene grips your attention because you don't want to miss anything. 

We've been watching a show on the Audience network called Mr. Mercedes, and it's turned out to be far better than we expected.  It's about a retired cop named Bill Hodges who's depressed about having nothing to do, and about never solving the case of a murderer who drove his car into a crowd of people.  He and the psychotic killer make contact and end up playing a game of cat and mouse.  There's language, but Brendan Gleeson is excellent as the crabby, cursing Irish cop.

Silver Pines

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2017, 08:31:11 pm »
Me too @roamer_1 I check daily for it.  They already have the date for the next season of The Crown displayed (December), but still nothing on Longmire.  I'm disappointed they are ending it, but it appears they want shows that appeal to younger folks, not us old fogies.

@anubias  They say it is an October release... And hopefully Netflix will release the whole season at once, like they did last year. That'll be a weekend binge, guaranteed.