Author Topic: The Legendary AK-47 Just Received the Tribute It Deserves  (Read 337 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

The Legendary AK-47 Just Received the Tribute It Deserves
« on: September 24, 2017, 07:25:46 am »
By Jared Keller

Before his death in 2013, Mikhail Kalashnikov was a Russian lieutenant general and the military engineer behind the legendary AK-47. But as of Sept. 19, Kalashnikov is now a 30-foot bronze statue, brandishing a shiny replica of his ubiquitous assault rifle over the streets of central Moscow.

The looming effigy is less a tribute to Kalashnikov than to the uniquely reliable killing machine he developed, according to a Guardian dispatch from the monument unveiling. Russian culture minister Vladimir Medinsky declared that the AK-47 “is Russia’s cultural brand”; ''

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-legendary-ak-47-just-received-the-tribute-it-deserves-22412
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: The Legendary AK-47 Just Received the Tribute It Deserves
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 07:32:07 am »
You can get it dirty and needs a minimum of care and it still fully functional.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:46:39 am »
They are changing the rifle on the statue because the artist accidentally gave him a Nazi rifle.

Nazi gun removed from statue of AK-47 founder Mikhail Kalashnikov in Moscow
dw.com
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/nazi-gun-removed-from-statue-of-ak-47-founder-mikhail-kalashnikov-in-moscow/ar-AAsmMmb

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 07:48:51 am »
They are changing the rifle on the statue because the artist accidentally gave him a Nazi rifle.

During World War II, the Sturmgewehr 44 assault rifle used by German forces made a deep impression on their Soviet counterparts.The select-fire rifle was chambered for a new intermediate cartridge, the 7.92×33mm Kurz, and combined the firepower of a submachine gun with the range and accuracy of a rifle.In July 1943, an earlier model of the Sturmgewehr was demonstrated before the People's Commissariat of Arms of the USSR. The Soviets were impressed with the weapon and immediately set about developing an intermediate caliber fully automatic rifle of their own to replace the PPSh-41 submachine guns and outdated Mosin–Nagant bolt-action rifles that armed most of the Soviet Army.