Author Topic: The Conductors in Two Recent Train Crashes Had This Sleep Disorder. Here’s Why It Can Be So Dangerous  (Read 342 times)

rangerrebew

The Conductors in Two Recent Train Crashes Had This Sleep Disorder. Here’s Why It Can Be So Dangerous

Amanda MacMillan
September 22, 2017

Two commuter train crashes in the New York City metropolitan area are being blamed on undiagnosed sleep apnea, according to an announcement yesterday from the National Transportation Safety Board. Investigations have determined that the conductors in both accidents—a September 2016 New Jersey Transit crash in Hoboken, New Jersey, that killed one person and a January 2017 Long Island Railroad derailment in Brooklyn that injured more than 100—fell asleep on the job due to the chronic condition.

http://www.health.com/sleep/sleep-apnea-train-crashes

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
They weren't "conductors", they were "engineers".

Another factor that is seldom talked about is that crews in commuter service often have very early reporting times -- 6.00am, 5.30am, 5.00am, or even earlier. A routine like that can take its toll, particularly if the job has "release time" involved (where a crew reports, works around 4 hours, takes a "swing" for 4 hours, then comes back for more work.

And this doesn't include the "time getting to work" for some railroaders. I seldom had a job in which I didn't have at least an hour's driving time to the terminal. And of course, that much time getting home after work.

I never cared for the early-report jobs. And I didn't have sleep apnea. But after being awaked (by phone) by the crew dispatcher at 2.30am, then leaving the house at 4.30 for a 5.30am report, by 9 or 10 in the morning I'd find myself ready to nod off.

That's why as soon as I had enough seniority to hold them, I'd work "second shift" jobs. No need to get up and rush to work. No fight with rush hour traffic. Felt my best going to work 2.30-4.30 in the afternoon, getting done 9.30-midnight. No traffic going home. No rush to get up, could set alarm for 8-9am. And a good part of the day free to get things done.