Author Topic: Jerry Lewis Left All Six Children from His First Marriage Out of His Will  (Read 651 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Mike Miller
People Magazine
September 21, 2017

Jerry Lewis certainly got in the last laugh when it came to his strained relationship with his children.

According to his Last Will and Testament, provided to PEOPLE by The Blast, the funnyman emphatically cut out all six children he had with his first wife Patti Palmer — meaning they will [inherit] nothing.
More

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Jerry Lewis Left All Six Children from His First Marriage Out of His Will
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:19:45 pm »
My dad did the same thing to kids from his first and second marriage.  Of course, he didn't have the vast estate that Jerry Lewis had.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 08:25:00 pm »
A shame that his relationship with them was that bad.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 12:39:57 pm »
Maybe he just figured "children" in their 60s should be on their own by now, anyway.

When my mother died, she left more $ to my alcoholic (then 62 y/o) brother who is unwilling to support himself than she did to my sister and me. It was a little annoying, but we understood that it was her money to do with as she wished and we had no right to it anyway. Not surprisingly, though, he's spending his inheritance at a local bar.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 12:50:21 pm »
Maybe he just figured "children" in their 60s should be on their own by now, anyway.

When my mother died, she left more $ to my alcoholic (then 62 y/o) brother who is unwilling to support himself than she did to my sister and me. It was a little annoying, but we understood that it was her money to do with as she wished and we had no right to it anyway. Not surprisingly, though, he's spending his inheritance at a local bar.  **nononono*

Actually, I can understand the thought process here....regarding the parents attempting to 'protect' the brother.

One of the most upsetting things is to see the 'Finish Line' ahead and look to the sidelines and see one of your children appear to not be able to take care of oneself.   

Feeling guilty, when physical/learning disabilities are present, you hope and pray the other siblings will make sure they don't end up "on the street". 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 01:01:00 pm »
Giving an irresponsible person a large amount of money is a good way of putting them on the street. What little responsibility they have goes out the window for a time and they forget how to take care of themselves financially.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 01:10:54 pm »
The time to take care of your kids is when you are alive. Prudent estate planning means that there would be many accounts with predetermined beneficiaries.  Who is to say that Lewis did not set up trust funds for the kids?  A will only covers property that does not have a predetermined beneficiary.  Anyone who plans well will have very little property held that way.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 01:40:03 pm »
Word on the street was that Lewis was not a pleasant person.

I have found that giving people money usually has a distinct downside. It rarely goes well, especially if they are already bad with money. It's as bad as giving liquor to a violent drunk. It causes their survival skills to atrophy

I have this brother...... My sister gives him money but I will not. I told her it would cause him to eventually hate her and blame her if she ever can't give him enough money.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 01:43:22 pm »
Everything I've heard about JL is that he was a complete bleep, besides his telethon stuff.