Author Topic: Too much TV could cost you your mobility. Excessive sitting after 50 is tied to disability.  (Read 843 times)

rangerrebew

Too much TV could cost you your mobility
Excessive sitting after 50 is tied to disability.
By Alan Mozes, HealthDay   | 0 comments | 20 Shares | September 7, 2017

Couch potatoes, take note: A new study admonishes older adults to get up from watching the TV or risk losing their mobility.

Excessive sitting, especially while watching TV, poses a significant health hazard to older Americans, researchers warn.

https://healthbeat.spectrumhealth.org/too-much-tv-could-cost-you-your-mobility/

Offline Applewood

When my maternal grandfather retired, he retired from life.  Spent his days in his favorite chair staring at the boob tube.  Eventually, his muscles atrophied and he could barely move, let alone walk.  His brain also atrophied.  Nothing to challenge him and keep his brain active.  He died at age 77 -- not young, but I wonder if he could have lived longer had he turned off the tv, got up and went walking at least. 

By the way, his children took a lesson from him and remained active almost till the day they died.

Offline thackney

When my maternal grandfather retired, he retired from life.  Spent his days in his favorite chair staring at the boob tube.  Eventually, his muscles atrophied and he could barely move, let alone walk.  His brain also atrophied.  Nothing to challenge him and keep his brain active.  He died at age 77 -- not young, but I wonder if he could have lived longer had he turned off the tv, got up and went walking at least. 

By the way, his children took a lesson from him and remained active almost till the day they died.

You describe my Father-in-Law, who retired at 58.  Now at 92, he cannot even hold his own weight on his legs if someone helps to balance him.  So lazy, he yells for people to come use the remote, setting in his lap, to change the channel for the TV.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

You describe my Father-in-Law, who retired at 58.  Now at 92, he cannot even hold his own weight on his legs if someone helps to balance hall day.  So lazy, he yells for people to come use the remote, setting in his lap, to change the channel for the TV.

That is bad.  I probably would get mad and tell him to change the channel himself. 

I have a partial disability.  Suppose I could use that as an excuse and sit around all day.  But I can't sit still.  I have to move, even if it's hobbling instead of walking.  Vegetating day in and day out would drive me batty.

Offline thackney

That is bad.  I probably would get mad and tell him to change the channel himself. 

We do.  He complains, then does it.

I have a partial disability.  Suppose I could use that as an excuse and sit around all day.  But I can't sit still.  I have to move, even if it's hobbling instead of walking.  Vegetating day in and day out would drive me batty.

It is good to move.  I move slower, I have a bad back and have been a slow learning about not lifting too much, but I hope I never stop all together.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online roamer_1

As one fighting to get that mobility back, I know this is true first hand - But I might suggest it is hard to tell which came first - the cart or the horse. In my case, I could do nothing more than sit or lay down, for nearly a decade. The pain was torturous and debilitating.

and the recovery, likewise, is long and often fruitless. I have been five years now 'getting up'.

So it is not so easy to make the claim, without understanding the individual circumstance.

Offline anubias

I'm sitting today because the temperature, UV, and pollen count are all too high to ride my bike.  Hoping next week is better!

Offline anubias

As one fighting to get that mobility back, I know this is true first hand - But I might suggest it is hard to tell which came first - the cart or the horse. In my case, I could do nothing more than sit or lay down, for nearly a decade. The pain was torturous and debilitating.

and the recovery, likewise, is long and often fruitless. I have been five years now 'getting up'.

So it is not so easy to make the claim, without understanding the individual circumstance.

So true.  Working through the agony to force oneself to go a bit further daily is not a fun game.  I'm sorry for what you have had to endure @roamer_1

Online roamer_1

So true.  Working through the agony to force oneself to go a bit further daily is not a fun game.  I'm sorry for what you have had to endure @roamer_1

Aw, it ain't no thing, @anubias , I am a redneck boy. I've spent my whole life falling down and getting back up, one way or the other. I'll git er done. Just taking a might longer than usual :)

And I hope you are doing fine... We've had rain here, so air quality is finally good. :)

Offline anubias

Aw, it ain't no thing, @anubias , I am a redneck boy. I've spent my whole life falling down and getting back up, one way or the other. I'll git er done. Just taking a might longer than usual :)

And I hope you are doing fine... We've had rain here, so air quality is finally good. :)

It's awful here @roamer_1   Terrible awful!  Breathing is a chore if one goes outside.

Online roamer_1

It's awful here @roamer_1   Terrible awful!  Breathing is a chore if one goes outside.

@anubias
My sister is similarly afflicted, all the smoke up in here (Northern Rockies, forest fires) have been hell on her. But winter happens here, and it gets really easy on asmatics then...

Offline anubias

@anubias
My sister is similarly afflicted, all the smoke up in here (Northern Rockies, forest fires) have been hell on her. But winter happens here, and it gets really easy on asmatics then...

I feel for her. I'd move up north except the cold is darned painful. Need to figure out the best place to live when I retire.