Author Topic: Why Doesn't D.C. Have a Military Parade on the Fourth of July?  (Read 705 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Why Doesn't D.C. Have a Military Parade on the Fourth of July?
« on: September 19, 2017, 04:54:42 pm »
.....So why don't we have a military parade in Washington, D.C. on the Fourth of July?

David Waldstreicher, a professor of history at Temple University, speculates that a major reason is that the American Revolution was itself a revolt against a standing army occupying a major city. Military demonstrations in small towns were common in the early Republic (and remain so), but “American national liberty, at home at least, is associated with freedom from men in arms marching through the streets.”

More importantly, he added, “because popular sovereignty [has] to be demonstrated through the local and the participatory,” it makes sense for the Fourth of July parade in the capital to have more of a small-town, carnival-like atmosphere......

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/152464

gogogodzilla

Re: Why Doesn't D.C. Have a Military Parade on the Fourth of July?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 03:15:59 am »
“American national liberty, at home at least, is associated with freedom from men in arms marching through the streets.”

Bears repeating.

If we loved troops marching in down our streets, we'd have stayed British.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:16:15 am by gogogodzilla »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 03:45:53 am »
Frankly our troops should be spending independence day with their families whenever possible.

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:12:06 pm »
Frankly our troops should be spending independence day with their families whenever possible.

And that really is one of the big points. (and a good one from the article). It is what makes the US different. We are not a militaristic nation. It is a necessity, but it is not the center of our nation. Liberty is. We were founded on kicking soldiers off our streets and our army were citizen soldiers doing what is necessary at the time.

Giant military parades like one would see in China, Russia, or North Korea are a sign of a militaristic nation having to show off its might. (some could say over-compensating).

When we do have military parades, they are usually small and celebrate either returning home (fleet week for example), celebrating veterans, or things like small Air Shows which are somewhat of a technological interest for the public- none of these are 'reviews of the troops' for the leader or a reminder of force to the world.

It is a major difference.

I don't think we've had a formal 'review of the troops' parade since Woodrow Wilson and he certainly isn't one I would go back to as an example to follow.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 08:49:58 pm »
And that really is one of the big points. (and a good one from the article). It is what makes the US different. We are not a militaristic nation. It is a necessity, but it is not the center of our nation. Liberty is. We were founded on kicking soldiers off our streets and our army were citizen soldiers doing what is necessary at the time.

Giant military parades like one would see in China, Russia, or North Korea are a sign of a militaristic nation having to show off its might. (some could say over-compensating).

When we do have military parades, they are usually small and celebrate either returning home (fleet week for example), celebrating veterans, or things like small Air Shows which are somewhat of a technological interest for the public- none of these are 'reviews of the troops' for the leader or a reminder of force to the world.

It is a major difference.

I don't think we've had a formal 'review of the troops' parade since Woodrow Wilson and he certainly isn't one I would go back to as an example to follow.

In my hometown we have veterans take part in our independence day parade and any NG or active duty personnel who are on leave are free to do so themselves. This year the Boy Scouts marched with VFW locals from surrounding towns. It was beautiful.

In my opinion my hometown of Hanover Michigan has one of the finest independence day parades around.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 09:35:46 pm »
The problem with me is that it could easily turn into one of the commie military parades, and I guess I'd rather keep the idea of a parade to honor the military as a local decision.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:57:55 pm »
The problem with me is that it could easily turn into one of the commie military parades, and I guess I'd rather keep the idea of a parade to honor the military as a local decision.
And I was going to answer the headline's question with, "Because Washington isn't Pyongyang."
Or even, to name one memorable example from the past, Idi Amin's Uganda. (Amin throve on
military parades and his cheapo tanks tearing up the streets for a number of, ahem, official
occasions . . . )

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:07:50 pm »
We respect our troops, not our military power.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 11:26:20 pm »
We respect our troops, not our military power.

That's a good way to put it.

Compare Mr. Creek's photos above with a typical 'review of the troops' in other countries.