Author Topic: House Goes To Court To Protect Secrecy of Records  (Read 840 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
House Goes To Court To Protect Secrecy of Records
« on: September 16, 2017, 04:27:11 pm »
politico
JOSH GERSTEIN 09/15/2017 08:21 PM EDT Updated 09/15/2017 09:03 PM EDT

[excerpt]

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/15/house-moves-to-block-access-to-records-foia-242791

The House of Representatives is taking legal action to make sure that federal agencies don’t release congressional records to the public through the Freedom of Information Act.

The move, which came Friday evening in a lawsuit demanding access to discussions about health care reform between the Trump administration and Congress, threatens to cut off a mechanism liberal watchdog groups were using to gain insight into closed-door negotiations on a variety of policy issues.

In legal papers filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, House General Counsel Thomas Hungar said the move to protect congressional correspondence was authorized by a House body known as the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group. While the panel of top House leaders has divided in the past on sensitive issues, Hungar wrote that they “voted unanimously to authorize this intervention … to protect the institutional interests of the House.”
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: House Goes To Court To Protect Secrecy of Records
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 05:32:40 pm »
Well, we sure don't want "the public" knowing what's going on in the hallowed halls.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 04:55:17 am »
Well, we sure don't want "the public" knowing what's going on in the hallowed halls.   *****rollingeyes*****

double *****rollingeyes**********rollingeyes*****
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 03:43:11 pm »
The whole Congress is one smoke-filled back room.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 05:31:17 pm »
The whole Congress is one smoke-filled back room.

And we all know what they are smoking.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 05:38:22 pm »
And we all know what they are smoking.

It's our money mostly!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 05:49:44 pm »
Kinda split here. More formal negotiations I don't think should be kept secret. At the same time, I'd like to give the congress critters enough privacy to feel comfortable enough to have open conversations, and be able to throw out ideas and see what sticks or brainstorm.

Don't want the American people to be kept in the dark, but I don't want every little word being a potential gotcha '47% moment' either.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:50:14 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 06:51:20 pm »
It's our money mostly!
Right color. It's the new opiate of the people.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 06:53:37 pm »
Kinda split here. More formal negotiations I don't think should be kept secret. At the same time, I'd like to give the congress critters enough privacy to feel comfortable enough to have open conversations, and be able to throw out ideas and see what sticks or brainstorm.

Don't want the American people to be kept in the dark, but I don't want every little word being a potential gotcha '47% moment' either.
They've been hashing stuff out off the record in the cloakrooms since they wore cloaks. They have also been able to meet behind closed doors when the matters of discussion required a Security Clearance. I get that.Day to day business, however, should be in the sunlight. They have the committees to bang out the details.

C S Lewis