Author Topic: Judge May Keep Sheriff Joe Conviction Despite Trump Pardon  (Read 6487 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Judge May Keep Sheriff Joe Conviction Despite Trump Pardon
« on: September 16, 2017, 02:35:43 pm »
Judge May Keep Sheriff Joe Conviction Despite Trump Pardon

Anders Hagstrom
Justice Reporter
10:46 AM 09/15/2017

A U.S. district judge may refuse to rescind Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s conviction for ignoring a court order, despite President Donald Trump’s pardon, according to a Thursday filing.

President Trump pardoned Arpaio Aug. 25, but U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton said the federal government would need to convince her to drop Arpaio’s conviction. According to Nixon v. United States, a presidential pardon only voids punishment for a crime — it does not necessarily rescind a conviction, the Washington Post reported. If federal attorneys fail to convince her, Bolton said she will simply drop the criminal case against Arpaio but let his conviction stand.

Arpaio was convicted in July of criminal contempt for defying a federal court order to stop detaining individuals suspected of being in the country illegally. The former Arizona sheriff is known for his tough-on-crime stance, and he supported Trump during the presidential campaign.

more
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/15/judge-may-keep-sheriff-joe-conviction-despite-trump-pardon/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Suppressed

Re: Judge May Keep Sheriff Joe Conviction Despite Trump Pardon
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 03:18:42 pm »
Makes sense.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 03:27:36 am »
can someone please explain why this is important and where in Nixon v United States this is clarified?

Some lowly federal judge is attempting to subvert the express Constitutional power given the Executive sure sounds like spite and judicial over-reach.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 01:59:26 pm »
To eliminate the punishment without eating the conviction is a commutation, not a pardon. Pardon strikes it from the record. Besides, pardon powers are expressly granted to the executive branch alone in the Constitution. The judge has no jurisdiction to make this kind of declaration.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 05:41:41 pm »
I wonder if a Judge couple be found in contempt for this action?  As @jmyrlefuller says, Trump did not issue a commutation, as was done for Scooter Libby, it was a full Pardon, and I don't think a Federal Judge can dictate the terms of that.

The House should be drafting Impeachment charges for Bolton right now.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 06:01:58 pm »
I'd say give the judge her pyrrhic victory, but I think this needs to be pursued on principle and slapping down the judicial here, as it is beyond her power, per definition of pardon.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 06:17:07 pm »
To eliminate the punishment without eating the conviction is a commutation, not a pardon. Pardon strikes it from the record. Besides, pardon powers are expressly granted to the executive branch alone in the Constitution. The judge has no jurisdiction to make this kind of declaration.

Not entirely correct.  Under current understanding, a pardon does not wipe out the guilt.  And commutation is, technically, the substitution of a lesser punishment in place of a greater punishment. 

Discussion:  www.everycrsreport.com/reports/R44571.html

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 06:35:49 pm »
Not entirely correct.  Under current understanding, a pardon does not wipe out the guilt.  And commutation is, technically, the substitution of a lesser punishment in place of a greater punishment. 

Discussion:  www.everycrsreport.com/reports/R44571.html

That's an interesting article, even I could understand it.

Until the mid 20th Century (1974?) the Pardon power was absolute, and restored the one Pardoned to the status of "innocent."  That's when a court left the door open to the concept of "Pardoned but not innocent."  Seems like a bit of encroachment by the Court upon the Executive, at a time the Executive was in a weakened position politically.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 06:54:40 pm »

The judge citing Arpaio's 'announcing to the world and to his subordinates that he was going to continue business as usual no matter who said otherwise' as a reason to ignore a presidential pardon is hilarious. I'm sure the judge missed the irony of her comments completely.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 07:18:25 pm »
The judge citing Arpaio's 'announcing to the world and to his subordinates that he was going to continue business as usual no matter who said otherwise' as a reason to ignore a presidential pardon is hilarious. I'm sure the judge missed the irony of her comments completely.

Apparently so.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 07:19:51 pm »
That's an interesting article, even I could understand it.

Until the mid 20th Century (1974?) the Pardon power was absolute, and restored the one Pardoned to the status of "innocent."  That's when a court left the door open to the concept of "Pardoned but not innocent."  Seems like a bit of encroachment by the Court upon the Executive, at a time the Executive was in a weakened position politically.

Ultimately, it will always be a court that determines the exact contours of the effects of a pardon. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 07:23:28 pm »
Ultimately, it will always be a court that determines the exact contours of the effects of a pardon.

Why/how does a court have that power?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 07:50:14 pm »

It's yet another case of the Courts arrogating themselves power they were never meant to have.  We have a poster here, who shall remain unnamed (a fixture on threads where there are major fights), who's absolutely dee-lighted by this state of affairs.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 08:52:41 pm »
It does not.  There is constitutional authority for Executive to issue a pardon, and zero constitutional authority for a minor court to interpret what that means.

Executive wins, everytime.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 09:04:36 pm »
It does not.  There is constitutional authority for Executive to issue a pardon, and zero constitutional authority for a minor court to interpret what that means.

In practical terms, it's the minor court winning here.  The Very Biased Judge Bolton is forcing Arpaio to have to shell out more money so she can beat a dead horse.  This should be over for him, and for the Prosecution for that matter, but everybody is still running around the track on her say-so.
I will NOT comply.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 09:18:49 pm »
In practical terms, it's the minor court winning here.  The Very Biased Judge Bolton is forcing Arpaio to have to shell out more money so she can beat a dead horse.  This should be over for him, and for the Prosecution for that matter, but everybody is still running around the track on her say-so.

This judge should be removed and jailed.  Tar and feather might be appropriate too
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 09:21:15 pm »
The judge is clearly operating outside Constitutional boundaries.

Arpaio could likely get Sessions, representing the Executive's legal authority, to block the judge's order.  He has as much authority to interpret what the extent of the Constitution's Executive pardon power comprises as much as any federal judge.

'Winning' is a relative term, and I daresay no appellate court or Supreme Court justice would interfer with the Executive exercising his prerogative.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:23:28 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 09:22:24 pm »

The grant of the pardon power in the Constitution doesn't spell out all the details; therefore, someone has to work out the details.  That is what a court does. 

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 09:22:52 pm »

Baloney. 

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 09:23:41 pm »
Amazing.  A sheriff gets prosectued federally because he wouldn't stop helping to enforce the law.  The law which the feds were ignoring.

Now the sheriff gets a pardon and the judge tries to ignore the pardon.   Our judiciary is out of control.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 09:23:56 pm »

Boo-hoo for poor little Sheriff Arpaio.  I didn't realize he was such a snowflake. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 09:24:04 pm »
The grant of the pardon power in the Constitution doesn't spell out all the details; therefore, someone has to work out the details.  That is what a court does.

No, the Constitution does not give that authority to the courts; therefore they are operating extra-Constitutionally.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:27:39 pm by Sanguine »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 09:24:45 pm »
Boo-hoo for poor little Sheriff Arpaio.  I didn't realize he was such a snowflake.

Oh that's right you're a lawyer.  You're gonna back the corrupted system every time.

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 09:26:30 pm »
Baloney.
My baloney has a first name, it's C-O-N-S-T-I-T-U-T-I-O-N-A-L, my baloney has a second name its A-U-T-H-O-R-I-T-Y.

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 09:29:03 pm »
No, the Constitution does not give that authority to the courts; therefore they are operating extra-Constitutional.
absolutely.

If Judicial was the sole province to interpret what the Constitution says, then all authority has been ceded to a mob of  unelected black-robes.

I am absolutely, positively certain the Founders never had that intent, no matter what baloney says.