Author Topic: White ex-St. Louis cop acquitted in black suspect's killing  (Read 1950 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
White ex-St. Louis cop acquitted in black suspect's killing
« on: September 15, 2017, 06:37:57 pm »
White ex-St. Louis cop acquitted in black suspect's killing
By JIM SALTER, Associated Press

ST. LOUIS (AP) — A judge acquitted a white former St. Louis police officer of murder in the 2011 killing of a black drug suspect, a decision that could spark protests with National Guard troops on standby.

Judge Timothy Wilson found the former officer, Jason Stockley, not guilty of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 24-year-old Anthony Lamar Smith. The bench ruling came more than a month after testimony concluded.

Activists had threatened civil disobedience if Stockley was acquitted, and authorities took steps to deal with that scenario.

Continued at: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/judge-acquits-white-ex-st-louis-police-officer-of-first-degree-murder-in-2011-shooting-death-of-black-man/ar-AArXhWI?OCID=ansmsnnews11

There will likely be some unrest, the extent? Big story to not have been posted yet.

Offline Just_Victor

Re: White ex-St. Louis cop acquitted in black suspect's killing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 07:29:19 pm »
What has happened to our conept of justice?  Do we really want to convict someone of a crime that evidence doesn't support simply because he's white and the victim is black?

I was taught (and still believe) that it is better for a guilty man to go free, than to convict an innocent man.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:30:23 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 12:01:31 am »
Protesters take to St. Louis streets after ex-cop acquitted in black motorist's death
By Max Greenwood - 09/15/17 07:51 PM EDT

Protesters took to the streets of St. Louis on Friday after a white former police officer was acquitted of murder charges in the shooting of black man.

Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens put the state's National Guard on standby on Thursday in anticipation of potential protests after the verdict was announced. In a statement Friday, Greitens urged protesters to remain peaceful.

"I'm committed to protecting everyone's constitutional right to protest peacefully, while also protecting people's lives, homes, and communities," he said. "For anyone who protests, please do so peacefully.”

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/350968-protesters-take-to-st-louis-streets-after-ex-cop-acquitted-in
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 12:22:26 am »
The shooting took place in 2011 and the officer was not charged until last year. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/16/st-louis-fatal-police-shooting-jason-stockley-anthony-lamar-smith
Its going to be hot in St Louis over this.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 09:34:55 am »

Tweets from St. Louis Post Dispatch reporters:
@NassimBnchabane
Police now saying a total 32 people were arrested today, but no details on charges. Said "names & charges are forthcoming"  #JasonStockley

‏ @NassimBnchabane
Police: 9 police officers & 1 HP trooper injured; 23 arrests reported; property damage in Central West End; tear gas & pepper balls deployed

@NassimBnchabane 3h3 hours ago
No reports of injuries to protesters from law enforcement authorities, but protesters report injuries from tear gas, pepper spray/pellets

@kodacohen 4h4 hours ago
At least 2 police officers hurt after chemical agents used near Waterman and Kingshighway after #JasonStockley verdict.

‏ @Mike_Faulk 4h4 hours ago
One line of cops on Euclid pushing people down to Lindell. Protesters throwing rocks at vehicles, including passenger buses. #STLverdict
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 11:16:38 am »
There was an interview with Michael Brown's father (Brown was the one killed in Ferguson).   What a loser!  Going on and on about how black men are killed by cops every day.  Really?   EVERY DAY?   Uh...what about the black men murdered every day by other black men in Chicago?  Funny how people conveniently forget about that.  I'd venture to say far more blacks are killed by their own than by the police.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 12:05:42 pm »
  I'd venture to say far more blacks are killed by their own than by the police.
That's a safe bet.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 12:40:35 pm »
That's a safe bet.

But it's also a free bet. You can't raise money running that contest.
Countdown to Resignation

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 01:40:22 pm »

9 officers injured in day of protests downtown and in Central West End, mayor's home damaged

ST. LOUIS • About 1,000 protesters surrounded the home of St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson in the Central West End late Friday, breaking at least two windows and throwing red paint at the brick house before some 200 police in riot gear moved in to break it up.

There was no indication on the scene that Krewson was in the home at the time.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/officers-injured-by-thrown-bricks-in-central-west-end-mayor/article_e1ae8685-64bc-5833-8785-2859002b1276.html

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 02:12:56 pm »
It's  neverending.  The criminal actions of many  young, black males cause numerous interactions with the police.  This means there's bound to be a few questionable actions by the cops considering the tremendous amount of crime committed by black males.
And since a great pct. of the black population seems unable to understand reality, unless something is done we're doomed to have these criminal disturbances occur on a regular basis.
I'm just completely fed up.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 08:21:16 pm »
U2 cancels St. Louis concert after protests lead to dozens of arrests
ABC News, Sep 16, 2017, JOI-MARIE MCKENZIE

After violent protests erupted in St. Louis Friday night, U2 has announced they've canceled a Saturday night performance in the city.

The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department said 32 people were arrested when protesters took to the streets after a white former police officer, Jason Stockley, was acquitted earlier that day in the 2011 fatal shooting of Lamar Smith, a black man.

St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson found Stockley not guilty of first-degree murder and armed criminal action for the Dec. 20, 2011 incident, in which Stockley shot Smith five times after a high-speed chase and crash.

In a statement released Saturday morning, the Irish rock band, along with Live Nation, said, "We have been informed by the St. Louis Police Department that they are not in a position to provide the standard protection for our audience as would be expected for an event of this size. We have also been informed that local crowd security personnel would not be at full capacity."

"In light of this information," the statement continued, "we cannot in good conscience risk our fans’ safety by proceeding with tonight’s concert. As much as we regret having to cancel, we feel it is the only acceptable course of action in the current environment."

Fans who had purchased tickets for the Saturday night performance inside St. Louis' The Dome at America’s Center will receive a full refund.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/u2-cancels-st-louis-concert-protests-lead-dozens/story?id=49894327

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 11:10:51 pm »
So glad I don't live there anymore.  Crime is through the roof and elected officials seem to be worthless.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 11:20:20 pm »
So glad I don't live there anymore.  Crime is through the roof and elected officials seem to be worthless.
Missouri is becoming the sorriest state in the union.  The state university is a basket case as no sane person will attend it.

The libs are succeeding in destroying that part of the country.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 12:24:01 am »
Also, as Larry Elder points out, the percentages (per the population) could be higher for blacks shot by police but, nonetheless, more whites are shot and killed by police.

Something like 975 people were shot and killed by the police in a certain year, mostly whites were shot and killed.

Looking at the trial itself, the Judge acquitted the officer. That's interesting and I'm not critical of that decision. I would think it would have been likely, a jury would have given a mixed verdict, meaning a hung jury, no decision.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:25:18 am by TomSea »

rangerrebew

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 11:54:15 am »

Black Lives Matter’s Violent Race Riots Ruin Rock Show in St. Louis
By Andrew West September 16, 2017

Once again, an American city is in ruins after Black Lives Matter protesters unleashed their farcical fury on St. Louis.

This time, as with many incidents before it, the impetus was a matter of “social justice” somehow being valued more highly than actual justice, as the court of public opinion weighed in on the acquittal of former policeman Jason Stockley.  Officer Stockley was on trial for the 2011 death of Anthony Lamar Smith after a high speed pursuit instigated during a drug investigation.

http://constitution.com/black-lives-matters-violent-race-riots-ruin-rock-show-st-louis/

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 01:29:34 pm »
The headlines should read:

"Cop shoots dirtbag drug dealer and is acquitted...nation rejoices"

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 01:34:51 pm »
The headlines should read:

"Cop shoots dirtbag drug dealer and is acquitted...nation rejoices"

Yep.  Wonder how many of those local BLM idiot's kids are better off by that one drug dealer off the street.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 02:04:32 pm »

Sep 17, 4:36 AM EDT

Protesters smash windows in 2nd violent night near St. Louis

By JIM SALTER and SUMMER BALLENTINE
Associated Press

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Protests turned violent for second night near St. Louis following the acquittal of a white former police officer in the fatal shooting of a black man, as a small group of demonstrators refused to disperse, breaking windows at dozens of businesses and throwing objects at police, who moved in with hundreds of officers in riot gear to make arrests.

The confrontation took place late Saturday night in the Delmar Loop area of University City, a suburb about 10 miles (16 kilometers) west of St. Louis near Washington University. The area is known for concert venues, restaurants, shops and bars and includes the Blueberry Hill club where rock legend Chuck Berry played for many years.

more
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_POLICE_SHOOTING_ST_LOUIS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-09-17-04-36-23
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 03:43:58 pm »
Yep.  Wonder how many of those local BLM idiot's kids are better off by that one drug dealer off the street.
There are a few questionable shootings of blacks by  cops every year. If it looks like a bad shooting, it should be investigated.
But when I discover that the dead person was a slimebag, I shed few tears over their demise.
There was a shooting of a white male, named Robert Burzinski,  in my hometown of La Crosse, Wi last month. The guy had carjacked a young woman and her young  child in a city park, and took off with the child  still  in the car. 
The cops eventually confronted him, and according to the cops, he brandished a weapon. The cops drilled him.
The guy had a lengthy criminal history.
When I read the news of his death, I shouted hurrah, one less dirtbag breathing oxygen.
I don't care what color they are, some people don't deserve to live.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:06:26 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 06:27:34 pm »
Yet another reason why I live in a very rural area v. the inner city. At least the white meth head trailer trash is more spread out and less likely to riot than the urban ghetto trash.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Variant

• Down with populism...
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 01:30:18 am »
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4047131-Jason-Stockley-verdict.html?embed=true&responsive=false&sidebar=false

Read if you haven't already.  The case was so weak, the State's own witnesses blew holes in their arguments.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 01:34:31 am »
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4047131-Jason-Stockley-verdict.html?embed=true&responsive=false&sidebar=false

Read if you haven't already.  The case was so weak, the State's own witnesses blew holes in their arguments.

Welcome Variant!
The Republic is lost.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 04:24:00 pm »
St. Louis police officers chant ‘whose street, our street’ during protests
By Mallory Shelbourne - 09/18/17 11:56 AM EDT

Police officers in St. Louis, Mo., reportedly chanted “whose streets, our streets” as protesters took to the streets early Monday to demonstrate against the acquittal of a white former police officer in a black motorist’s shooting death.

Officers wearing riot gear employed the phrase, according to The Associated Press. The phrase is a mantra typically used by protesters in recent years.

A photojournalist for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch also reported hearing police chanting the phrase after making arrests. He added that a commander he spoke with said police officers using the phrase is not acceptable.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/351173-st-louis-police-officers-chant-whose-streets-our-streets-during
Support the USO

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 07:26:34 pm »
OK, I get the joke, but keep that line between enforcement and oppression at your 12 o'clock.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 11:21:41 pm »
Merged several threads on the events in St. Louis