Author Topic: Hollywood Hypocrites! Tinseltown Is Racist and Sexist, But Wants Us to Obey  (Read 378 times)

rangerrebew

Hollywood Hypocrites! Tinseltown Is Racist and Sexist, But Wants Us to Obey
By Corinne Weaver | September 14, 2017 9:34 AM EDT

This Fall TV season is starting to arrive and the Emmys are just around the corner. Likely both will provide the media with new opportunities to preach to ordinary Americans about how diverse Hollywood is. But what those claims won’t tell you is that Hollywood is one of the most racist, sexist places to work.

Entertainment Tonight has already bragged about just how diverse and progressive the 2017 Emmy nominations list is. “In total, 25 people of color were nominated across the Emmy’s 18 onscreen acting awards,” Stacy Lambe wrote in July. The Fall TV season is also an annual reminder of Hollywood’s influence. Several new shows are slated to target President Trump and conservatives, while others will promote identity politics like Will and Grace.

Source URL: https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/corinne-weaver/2017/09/14/hollywood-hypocrites-tinseltown-racist-and-sexist-wants-us

Offline goatprairie

Re: Hollywood Hypocrites! Tinseltown Is Racist and Sexist, But Wants Us to Obey
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 03:33:22 pm »
I don't know...I watch very little modern movies or tv.
Women are underrepresented on tv or movies? Then why is it every time I glance at a modern cop show there's always an equal percentage of women to men breaking down doors and shooting the villains or kicking the crap out of the bad guys?
The problem with Hollyweird isn't sexist or racist people in power....their problem is their product is overall lousy.
There's too much pushing a p.c. liberal point of view and making sure  for instance female leos are seen to be as physically tough and in charge as males. I'm real sure that occurs in real life  :bigsilly:
In the last year I watched the entire series of "Dexter" the story about a serial killer who hunted down and killed other serial killers.
While I liked the series overall thanks to lead actor Michael C. Hall (who played Dexter), the series also had the most obnoxious character I've ever seen in any tv series in the form of Dexter's sister,  a cop played by Jennifer Carpenter.  Her character couldn't say two sentences without using the f word in its many forms as did many other characters on the series. And naturally she beat the crap out of assorted male baddies.
Almost all the chiefs of police who Dexter, as a forensic pathologist, worked for were females.
The deliberate aim of the series was to elevate women to positions of power that I don't believe occurs in real life on major metropolitan police forces, but I could be wrong.
The only tv series, cable or otherwise, that I currently like is "Justified" with Tim Olyphant playing the lead character who is a federal marshal. This series, while using some vulgar language at times, does not feature the f word at all.
Olyphant plays a character who is not real p.c. about how he gets the job done, and most of the scenes are far more realistic as to what probably occurs in real life when federal agents confront criminals.
Olyphant's character resembles the good male leos of old who weren't concerned about anything else other than doing his job.
 (Btw, his boss is played by Nick Searcy who is one of the few Republicans in Hollyweird.)
Walton Goggins plays one of the best bad guys I've ever seen.  Goggins is a diehard lib, who played a transgender character in the Sons of Anarchy.  That character was one of the worst aspects of SOA and one Goggins is most proud of.