Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey first responder nearly dies from severe infection inflicted during rescues  (Read 973 times)

Offline thackney

Hurricane Harvey first responder nearly dies from severe infection inflicted during rescues
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/First-responder-Harvey-flesh-eating-bacteria-flood-12181643.php
September 8, 2017

Many Houstonians owe their safety to the first responders who risked their lives to get them out of floodwaters and to shelters during Hurricane Harvey.

Among those first responders is J.R Atkins.

On Aug. 29, Atkins did what many other people were doing and went kayaking through his neighborhood trying to check on people in the area — an action that would land him in the hospital on the brink of death.

According a Facebook post by Atkins, the infection started as a small nickel-sized bite on his left arm. Less than 24 hours later the swelling had spread to his wrist, forcing a trip to the Emergency Room.

elt awful. I hit the nurse call button and report that 'I just really don't feel right'," wrote Atkins. "They take vitals and my BP is low like 80/40. They start working on me but things get really blurry. I remember them putting on Shock Pads as they prepped to move me to the ICU."

Once in the ICU, Atkins received two emergency surgeries and his team of doctors were able to save his arm and hand without using skin grafts...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline jpsb

Same thing happened to a fellow I know in Dickinson, except he died.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Back in '08 when the Mississippi flooded over, alot of people sandbagging that were in standing in water got alot of infections wherever their skin came into contact. All the coliform in the water breeds some pretty weird stuff.
The Republic is lost.