Author Topic: History of Computers: A Brief Timeline  (Read 486 times)

rangerrebew

History of Computers: A Brief Timeline
« on: September 10, 2017, 12:01:24 pm »
History of Computers: A Brief Timeline
By Kim Ann Zimmermann, Live Science Contributor | September 6, 2017 10:10pm ET

The computer was born not for entertainment or email but out of a need to solve a serious number-crunching crisis. By 1880, the U.S. population had grown so large that it took more than seven years to tabulate the U.S. Census results. The government sought a faster way to get the job done, giving rise to punch-card based computers that took up entire rooms.

https://www.livescience.com/20718-computer-history.html

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: History of Computers: A Brief Timeline
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 01:02:24 am »
An interesting timeline, goes "further back" than I had previously thought.

A couple of things they left out:

- 1984 -- Apple introduces the Macintosh. It literally changed the way ordinary people interacted with their computers.

- 1995 (if I recall) -- Netscape browser introduced. I believe it pushed modern web browsing into the limelight.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:02:47 am by Fishrrman »

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:11:31 am »
An interesting timeline, goes "further back" than I had previously thought.

A couple of things they left out:

- 1984 -- Apple introduces the Macintosh. It literally changed the way ordinary people interacted with their computers.

- 1995 (if I recall) -- Netscape browser introduced. I believe it pushed modern web browsing into the limelight.

Left out is minicomputers, a major industry that came and went with a hush.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 01:21:38 am »
The Mosaic browser came out in 1993 followed by Netscape in 94.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 01:59:15 am »
I bought my first microcomputer in 1982 for a microcomputer applications course. I only ran Assembly and Basic on it. But I added a full size keyboard, Monitor, and 300 Baud Modem. Started at Ford Aerospace as a NASA Integrator in 83. When I'd hear of someone having a computer at home, I'd ask what they did with it. I'd get answers like, keep my recipes on it, or reconcile my bank account. Things I could do with a notebook. It was when we had our first child in 86, that I knew I needed a computer to raise our children in the computer age with. I picked up a used 386 for a couple hundred, that a few years earlier were going for 3,000. I remember running on USENET, BBS, ARCHIE, and GOPHER. And probably more I've long since forgot. It was access to information that really hooked me then on computers.