Author Topic: Newly unearthed ancient tomb with mummies unveiled in Egypt  (Read 1178 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Newly unearthed ancient tomb with mummies unveiled in Egypt
« on: September 09, 2017, 09:58:57 pm »
Egyptian authorities unveiled a previously undiscovered ancient tomb belonging to a goldsmith and his wife near Luxor in southern Egypt on Saturday.

The tomb, at the Draa Abul Nagaa necropolis, contains "mummies, sarcophagi, statuettes, pots and other artifacts," according to Egypt's Ministry of Antiquities.

It belonged to Amenemhat -- which means the god "Amen Is In the Forefront" -- and his wife Amenhotep, said Mostafa Al-Waziri, who led the Egyptian team which unearthed the 3,500-year-old tomb.

While Amenhotep is usually a man's name, Waziri said, the team found references inside the tomb that indicated she was the lady of the house.

CNN was the first media outlet to be given access to the tomb on the day of the announcement.

An entrance, uncovered in the courtyard of another tomb, leads to a squared chamber where, in a niche, Amenemhat is pictured with his wife in a partly damaged duo sandstone statue, Waziri said.

Between their legs is seen a little figure of their son. "The daughter, or as they used to refer (to daughters) 'the precious,' is usually the one pictured in this place. If the family have no daughters, they would take their daughter-in-law. It is unusual to see the son," said Waziri.

The owners belong to the 18th dynasty of Egypt. The tomb appears to have been reused, as sarcophagi from the 22nd and 21st dynasties were found as well, said Minister of Antiquities Khaled el-Enany.

Continued - http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/09/africa/egypt-luxor-ancient-tomb/index.html

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Newly unearthed ancient tomb with mummies unveiled in Egypt
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:21:39 pm »
This place sounds like my back yard. Can't stick a shovel in the ground without hitting a dead...  :nometalk:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 10:23:22 pm »
This place sounds like my back yard. Can't stick a shovel in the ground without hitting a dead...  :nometalk:

888high58888

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 01:52:44 am »
This article reeks of rank discrimination!!!

All about the mummies, and NOTHING about the daddies......... :smokin:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 01:58:27 am »
This article reeks of rank discrimination!!!

All about the mummies, and NOTHING about the daddies......... :smokin:

Interesting to note they insist that the married couple were male and female yet both bear male names.  :pondering:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 08:07:59 am »
[...] It belonged to Amenemhat [...]

:whistle:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:08:44 am by roamer_1 »

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 12:36:26 pm »

Egypt dig unearths goldsmith's tomb, mummies
September 9, 2017

Egyptian archaeologists have uncovered the tomb of a goldsmith dedicated to the god Amun and the mummies of a woman and her two children, the antiquities ministry said on Saturday.

The finds, dating back to the New Kingdom (16th to 11th centuries BC), were made in the Draa Abul Naga necropolis on the west bank of the Nile in Luxor, famed for its temples and burial grounds.

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-egypt-unearths-goldsmith-tomb-mummies.html