Author Topic: Trump's administration sides with Christian baker who refused to make a gay couple's wedding cake because he said it went against his religious beliefs  (Read 905 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Trump's administration sides with Christian baker who refused to make a gay couple's wedding cake because he said it went against his religious beliefs
Daily Mail, Sep 8,2017

President Trump's administration has sided with a Christian baker who refused to make a gay couple's wedding cake because he claimed their marriage went against his religious beliefs.

Forcing Jack Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Denver, to bake a wedding cake for two men would be a violation of his constitutional rights, the Department of Justice declared on Thursday.

The baker is challenging a Colorado law that says  he was wrong to have turned away Charlie Craig and David Mullins, who wanted a cake to celebrate their nuptials in 2012.

Phillips refused because his religion does not support same-sex marriage and said he should not be compelled to bake a cake that would specifically honor that.

The Justice Department wrote in an amicus brief filed ahead of the case's oral argument after the Supreme Court said in June it would hear the case.

A portion of the brief read: 'Forcing Phillips to create expression for and participate in a ceremony that violates his sincerely held religious beliefs invades his First Amendment rights.

'In the view of the United States, a ... First Amendment intrusion occurs where a public accommodations law compels someone to create expression for a particular person or entity and to participate, literally or figuratively, in a ceremony or other expressive event.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4866232/Trump-sides-baker-didn-t-make-cake-gay-couple.html#ixzz4sB2EC1Yc 

Offline stephen50right

That is good news.

It's so nice to have conservatives like Donald Trump running our country, who support common sense American values.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Good news bump.   ^-^

This is the kind of small but significant stuff I've been praising the Trump administration for.

It's a change in attitude sorely needed.

Now, who's gonna reimburse the baker for the lost earnings and bad publicity.

I think a civil suit against the Gay couple is in order.  They only brought suit in the first place to torment the baker.  They could have gotten a dozen cakes within a mile of that particular baker.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline stephen50right

This is the kind of small but significant stuff I've been praising the Trump administration for.

It's a change in attitude sorely needed.

Now, who's gonna reimburse the baker for the lost earnings and bad publicity.

I think a civil suit against the Gay couple is in order.  They only brought suit in the first place to torment the baker.  They could have gotten a dozen cakes within a mile of that particular baker.

I think the baker may have a case to win a civil suit against the gay couple.

"Tortious interference" may cover this - You can Google it and decide for yourself.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Now if we could somehow move this same justice department to go after all the institutional CRIME that occured during the Obama administration  we would be headed in the right direction!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:50:54 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

Wait a dogone minute here, just yesterday Sessions 'is his own man' now when his department files a brief, Trump is wonderful again, I would be very confused except I know about this smooze affair and am not convinced Trump/Ivanka aren't just throwing a little 'red meat' out there for the base, particularly after the Schumer/Pelosi love-in has a few of them rattling their brains.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DB

I think the baker may have a case to win a civil suit against the gay couple.

"Tortious interference" may cover this - You can Google it and decide for yourself.

It is the city/state that needs to pay serious consequences for their actions. They were hell bent on destroying these people for "improper" views.

Offline stephen50right

It is the city/state that needs to pay serious consequences for their actions. They were hell bent on destroying these people for "improper" views.

It gets more legally complex when government is involved. For example if a city doesn't want a nudie bar in their town, then they can legally prevent it.

That being said, with all the trial lawyers out there today itching to sue anything that moves, if there's a chance to win a case or settle for a worthwhile sum of money, there will be a lawsuit filed.

Offline DB

It gets more legally complex when government is involved. For example if a city doesn't want a nudie bar in their town, then they can legally prevent it.

That being said, with all the trial lawyers out there today itching to sue anything that moves, if there's a chance to win a case or settle for a worthwhile sum of money, there will be a lawsuit filed.

This is about fundamental constitutional rights. And when the state/city willfully violates them.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
   Wait a dogone minute here, just yesterday Sessions 'is his own man' now when his department files a brief, Trump is wonderful again, I would be very confused except I know about this smooze affair and am not convinced Trump/Ivanka aren't just throwing a little 'red meat' out there for the base, particularly after the Schumer/Pelosi love-in has a few of them rattling their brains.

The cynicism is strong in this one.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline aligncare

The cynicism is strong in this one.

You're being too rough on the lad.. Though I would be hard pressed to come up with a better read. Oh, lets be kind and call it skepticism.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:40:51 am by aligncare »