Author Topic: Trump's Debt Deal Was Better Than Paul Ryan's, Many Republicans Admit  (Read 887 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Foxnews
by Pete Kasperowicz
Published September 8, 2017

President Trump shocked and angered Republicans on Wednesday by agreeing with Democrats on a bill to suspend the debt ceiling for three months, but by Thursday, Republican lawmakers and aides were acknowledging that Trump's plan was better for Republicans than the plan put forward by House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis.

Many Republicans weren't all that happy with either proposal. Ryan was proposing an 18-month suspension of the debt ceiling that would have let the government keep borrowing as much as it needed, and said the long time frame was needed to provide for market stability.

But Democrats said they could only agree to a three-month suspension since they wanted leverage more immediately for other issues they want to pursue in the coming weeks. Trump's decision to take the Democratic plan was seen by some as a betrayal of Republicans, and a sign Trump was abandoning the GOP on a key legislative package.

(more)
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trumps-debt-deal-was-better-than-paul-ryans-many-republicans-admit/article/2633784
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Trump's Debt Deal Was Better Than Paul Ryan's, Many Republicans Admit
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:02:22 am »
Trump's decision to take the Democratic plan was seen by some as a betrayal of Republicans, and a sign Trump was abandoning the GOP on a key legislative package.

Good. The GOP reminds me of those stupid Liberal protesters who try to block highways to stop all traffic. Hey, I have to either go around you or through you, but I'm not stopping.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 10:33:30 am »
Trump's decision to take the Democratic plan was seen by some as a betrayal of Republicans, and a sign Trump was abandoning the GOP on a key legislative package.

Good. The GOP reminds me of those stupid Liberal protesters who try to block highways to stop all traffic. Hey, I have to either go around you or through you, but I'm not stopping.

When you think Pelosi and Schumer are the better choice, perhaps you should reevaluate your position...

"... Democrats said they could only agree to a three-month suspension since they wanted leverage more immediately for other issues they want to pursue in the coming weeks ..."

The cost for "doing something now" will be high - in more ways than one.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 11:00:13 am »

Very true. And this is well understood. But the cost of dicking around with a intractable, unwilling GOP, would be higher. All the GOP seems interested in, is killing time until they can make it to their next "vacation". It has been like a relay-race. They come to D.C., waste time, waste time, delay, postpone, waste more time, and then 'Alright!', they make it to the next vacation...

They're just hopping from one vacation to the next. It must be greatest job in the world. I don't know of anyone in civilian/commercial life who could function like that. You would be fired or go bankrupt in no time. But, government work is a different world from reality. So, what can you do?

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 11:38:30 am »
Just think about a make believe scenario for a minute.

Congress decides to give themselves a three month vacation.  As far as any new legislation is concerned Washington essentially shuts down during that time.  The town operates on auto-pilot.

Nothing would make Congressional Republicans happier.  And for that matter nothing would make Congressional Democrats happier either.  Government would continue marching forward to grow ever larger completely unabated.  And government would keep rumbling straight ahead right down Main Street like Godzilla destroying everything in it's path.  It would be pure nirvana for our fearless leaders. 

They would be allowed to continue on towards their primary goals without ever lifting a single finger, and they could dispense with the all the silly dog and pony show theatrics of pretending to be actually doing something of value.  They would view this type of shutdown as a win/win.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 12:10:27 pm »
When you think Pelosi and Schumer are the better choice, perhaps you should reevaluate your position...

"... Democrats said they could only agree to a three-month suspension since they wanted leverage more immediately for other issues they want to pursue in the coming weeks ..."

I think they should cowboy up and change their party registration to democrat and be done with it.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 12:16:09 pm »

And they're going to get it. Bank on it. And when what they get fails, who do you think the DNC is going to pin the failure on?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 01:46:26 pm »
And they're going to get it. Bank on it. And when what they get fails, who do you think the DNC is going to pin the failure on?

Better yet, who do you think Trumpers are going to blame it on?

I know who they won't blame it on. Trump or their new friends the Democrats.