Author Topic: Trump Orders Military To Shoot Down North Korean Missiles  (Read 2142 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump Orders Military To Shoot Down North Korean Missiles
« on: September 08, 2017, 01:31:30 am »
President Donald Trump has given military orders for U.S. forces to shoot down and destroy any missile launched from North Korea and moving toward the continental United States, Hawaii, and Guam.

Sources close to the president's national security team tell Newsmax the order was given to Pentagon brass in the wake of last month's threat by North Korea to fire a ballistic missile aimed at Guam, a U.S. territory.

"The threat provoked the president," one source familiar with the decision told Newsmax.

Last Sunday, North Korea detonated a thermonuclear weapon. The communist regime claims they can fit the new device on advanced intercontinental ballistic missiles, known as ICBMs.

This week, South Korean intelligence sources said the North was moving an ICBM in an apparent preparation for another test launch over the northern Pacific and possibly Japan.

The president also is said to be considering a new "shoot down" order for any North Korean missile launched and moving toward Japan or South Korea, another national security source told Newsmax.

http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/812307?section=Headline&keywords=trump-orders-military-shoot&year=2017&month=09&date=07&id=812307&aliaspath=%2FManage%2FArticles%2FTemplate-Main&oref=r.search.yahoo.com
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Trump Orders Military To Shoot Down North Korean Missiles
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 01:33:40 am »
I am skeptical of the NK claims about compact warheads and EMP capability, but any missile that has a trajectory over an ally should be engaged, at this point.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 02:33:09 am »
I wouldn't have announced it in advance.  Bad move, IMO.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 12:26:38 pm »

Looks like a leak, not an announcement, and considering it's Newsmax, I'm not sure how reliable the claim of the leak is.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 12:54:56 pm »
Looks like a leak, not an announcement, and considering it's Newsmax, I'm not sure how reliable the claim of the leak is.

Many leaks are intentional, but you're right...this is Newsmax.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 01:38:34 pm »
Many leaks are intentional, but you're right...this is Newsmax.

Of course, since keeping one's opponent unsure of one's intentions is good strategy, perhaps a leak to a known to be unreliable news outlet, and only to such a news outlet, may be even better than either saying nothing or making an announcement.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 01:43:36 pm »
I am skeptical of the NK claims about compact warheads and EMP capability, but any missile that has a trajectory over an ally should be engaged, at this point.

I think we've been doing it all along.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 01:57:18 pm »

I disagree.  By announcing it ahead of time, it makes an actual shoot down less susceptible to accusations of being an initial aggressor's act of war. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 01:59:36 pm »
I disagree.  By announcing it ahead of time, it makes an actual shoot down less susceptible to accusations of being an initial aggressor's act of war.

But you don't say you will....you say you reserve the right to.
+++++++++

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 02:02:10 pm »
But you don't say you will....you say you reserve the right to.

That hair doesn't need to be split that finely. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 02:02:54 pm »

Personally I think its typical Trump wanting credit for everything.

I've long suspected we were shooting them down with laser and other means.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 02:04:06 pm »
That thought has crossed my mind. They seem to have consistent in-flight failures....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 02:04:32 pm »
Personally I think its typical Trump wanting credit for everything.

I've long suspected we were shooting them down with laser and other means.

I very much doubt we've been shooting them down so far.  We need to know what their missiles can do just as much, if not more, than they do, so shooting down a blank would lose us valuable data without any real gain. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 02:11:00 pm »
Again.  Like I commented a few  minutes ago on the Seal Team 6 thread.  I thought this POTUS made a point during the campaign that he would not advertise our military intentions.  The man just can't be believed for anything.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 02:12:17 pm »

Didn't one just fly entirely over Japan and land to it's east?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 02:17:50 pm »
Again.  Like I commented a few  minutes ago on the Seal Team 6 thread.  I thought this POTUS made a point during the campaign that he would not advertise our military intentions.  The man just can't be believed for anything.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Read his books.  He admits to being deceitful, and we can believe that easily.
+++++++++

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 02:27:24 pm »
We all know, Trump is very trustworthy and has carried out the most Conservative agenda in decades, the military supports him as well.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 02:32:29 pm »
We all know, Trump is very trustworthy and has carried out the most Conservative agenda in decades, the military supports him as well.

:silly:

(Before I saw the signature, I thought this was someone making a funny.  Then I realized it's even more funny that you're serious!)
+++++++++

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 02:33:58 pm »

@TomSea

I agree he supports the military, but during the campaign he adamantly stated he would not advertise our military intentions.  Now we are seeing the exact opposite.  Care to comment?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 02:37:44 pm »
:silly:

(Before I saw the signature, I thought this was someone making a funny.  Then I realized it's even more funny that you're serious!)

Yep, there's one of these in every crowd.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 02:55:56 pm »
I very much doubt we've been shooting them down so far.  We need to know what their missiles can do just as much, if not more, than they do, so shooting down a blank would lose us valuable data without any real gain.
Isn't the THAL ready yet? (or something like it) Mount that on the Zumwalt. It should have the juice to power it. Target tracking is target tracking with one of those, and target performance issues shouldn't be so finicky.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:56:12 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 02:57:24 pm »
That thought has crossed my mind. They seem to have consistent in-flight failures....

I don't want to know what passes for quality control in North Korea.  There have been articles speculating their multi-stage missiles are suffering damage during transport. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 02:59:45 pm »
I don't want to know what passes for quality control in North Korea.  There have been articles speculating their multi-stage missiles are suffering damage during transport.
Very possible, with liquid fueled systems, too. Solid fuel rockets don't handle damage well, either, but that is usually apparent early in the trajectory.

C S Lewis

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 03:01:40 pm »
@TomSea

I agree he supports the military, but during the campaign he adamantly stated he would not advertise our military intentions.  Now we are seeing the exact opposite.  Care to comment?

This isn't "advertising" anything. I don't think it's any surprise that we were going to shoot down Fatboy missiles fired towards Guam.

The question that Fatboy must contemplate, is whether or not we will consider that an act of war and retaliate. THAT is what Trump will not advertise.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 03:05:21 pm »
This isn't "advertising" anything. I don't think it's any surprise that we were going to shoot down Fatboy missiles fired towards Guam.

The question that Fatboy must contemplate, is whether or not we will consider that an act of war and retaliate. THAT is what Trump will not advertise.

Orange koolaid is kind of strong today huh?