Author Topic: Appeals Court Tosses One Of The Most Absurd Class Action Cases Of All Time  (Read 1673 times)

rangerrebew

Sep 5, 2017 @ 01:55 PM 7,824

Appeals Court Tosses One Of The Most Absurd Class Action Cases Of All Time

George Leef , Contributor

The plaintiffs’ bar has perfected a system for extracting money from firms. It works like this: Find a petty complaint about some product, magnify it into a class-action suit, then settle with the company in a way that does virtually nothing for the supposed victims, but yields a nice haul of legal fees as the company pays them to go away.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeleef/2017/09/05/appeals-court-tosses-one-of-the-most-absurd-class-action-cases-of-all-time/#53d3ff61691c

Offline Applewood

Re: Appeals Court Tosses One Of The Most Absurd Class Action Cases Of All Time
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 05:40:07 pm »
Used to work for attorneys and I saw a lot of bogus class action suits similar to this one.  Excellent ruling by the appeals court.  Those attorneys deserve a smackdown.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 02:02:12 am »
Used to work for attorneys and I saw a lot of bogus class action suits similar to this one.  Excellent ruling by the appeals court.  Those attorneys deserve a smackdown.

There is a cure for this - Loser Pays. The loser(s) in any lawsuit become liable for the defendants' legal fees, and if the plaintiffs cannot pay, then the  plaintiffs' attorneys are liable, in fact, I think whether or not the plaintiffs can pay, the attorneys should be held liable and have to pay a substantial protion of the legal fees.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:17:19 am »
There is a cure for this - Loser Pays. The loser(s) in any lawsuit become liable for the defendants' legal fees, and if the plaintiffs cannot pay, then the  plaintiffs' attorneys are liable, in fact, I think whether or not the plaintiffs can pay, the attorneys should be held liable and have to pay a substantial protion of the legal fees.

Trouble with that is that the poor can't afford to take chances even when right, while the rich can afford to roll the dice on shakier ones.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 01:52:48 pm »
Trouble with that is that the poor can't afford to take chances even when right, while the rich can afford to roll the dice on shakier ones.

Tough $hit for them then. Too many lawyers trying to get rich are clogging up our economy. Loser pays is the best bet, especially when the lawyers will be liable too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 02:22:18 pm »

:amen:  :amen: and   :amen:  That would put a stop to most of this crap instantly!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 02:34:39 pm »

:amen:

Loser pays... exactly. Even Europe does this. The lawyer hivemind is too entrenched in the US unfortunately.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 02:36:20 pm »
The facts: Back in 2013, an Australian teenager purchased one of Subway’s FootLong sandwiches. He was upset to find that it measured only 11 inches and to show his irritation, he posted a photo of the sandwich next to a tape measure on his Facebook page. Soon, his photo was getting attention around the globe, including a group of class-action lawyers who smelled a chance to shake a lot of money out of Subway. They filed a class action suit in federal district court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.

That's literally what this is about. One inch of bread, mayonnaise, and processed meat.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 05:45:30 pm »
Always wondered - do law schools teach about class action suits and how to produce them to benefit the take?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 05:48:56 pm »
I wonder if a class action can be made on

Dunkin Donuts that cannot be dunked as they are bigger than the coffee cup?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 06:00:56 pm »
It's bad here in Florida.  Florida has 40% of employee pay comaints because of a couple firms here.  In one case a larger company failed to pay someone about $1700.  They acknowledged the mistake but it was too late.  The law firm got it.  The company paid the 1700 and another 1700 penalty.  The persons attorney filed for 350k in legal fees and got 175k.   

My company was hit by a law firm who claimed to own the rights to the words security and privacy and the text of the hipaa law.  I used those words on my website.  I could settle or pay thru the nose for legal fees.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.