Author Topic: Forget the wandering warrior: Bronze Age women travelled the world while men stayed at home  (Read 1485 times)

rangerrebew

Forget the wandering warrior: Bronze Age women travelled the world while men stayed at home

Victoria Ward

4 September 2017 • 8:00pm

The concept that men stay at home while independent women venture out into the world is considered a rather modern phenomenon.

But a study suggests that in fact, the practice was rooted in ancient times, when Bronze Age men stayed at home while adventurous women were the key to spreading culture and ideas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/04/forget-wandering-warrior-bronze-age-women-travelled-world-men/
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:45:43 am by rangerrebew »

Offline The_Reader_David

Or men went raiding, carried off women and brought them home.  There are even legends about it -- the Illiad, the Rape of the Sabine Women, various mythological abductions (Europa, Persephone,...) -- and legal terms referring to the practice in Hittite and ancient Irish.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline skeeter

More "history" which, factuality not withstanding, makes certain people feel good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There's stories of female traders going way back.  I expect that was fairly unusual rather than being the norm though.

Online roamer_1

Quote from: the article

While the majority of women came from outside the area, the men usually remained in the region of their birth.

[...]

Doctor Alissa Mittnik, of the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History, said: "We see a great diversity of different female lineages, which would occur if over time many women relocated to the Lech Valley from somewhere else.”

Riiight. The result of raiding parties and slave trade. I doubt entirely that it was the result of adventurous women.

Offline RoosGirl

Riiight. The result of raiding parties and slave trade. I doubt entirely that it was the result of adventurous women.

Everyone knows that slavery was a white Euro/American institution, completely invented and continued by white men.

Offline Suppressed

Everyone knows that slavery was a white Euro/American institution, completely invented and continued by white men.

This is from southern Bavaria.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

This is from southern Bavaria.

I probably didn't word my sarcasm above very well, but it was the best I could come up with.  Probably should have been more along the lines of English/American white men.  But, then someone would have had something to say about the specifics of that too. ;)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The assumption seems to be that this is a politically/leftist driven finding.  Sometimes a finding is just a finding.

Offline skeeter

The assumption seems to be that this is a politically/leftist driven finding.

Well in all fairness the headline kinda invites that assumption.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Well in all fairness the headline kinda invites that assumption.

And, we all know how misleading headlines frequently are.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This article is about as accurate as saying stealing is just creative long term, interest free borrowing.
The Republic is lost.