Author Topic: Did Squabble Over a Vaccine Cause a Rift in Ben Franklin's Marriage?  (Read 792 times)

Offline Suppressed

Did Squabble Over a Vaccine Cause a Rift in Ben Franklin's Marriage?
By Sara G. Miller, Staff Writer | September 1, 2017 03:35pm ET
https://www.livescience.com/60305-benjamin-franklin-smallpox-inoculation-dispute.html

Why was Benjamin Franklin estranged from his wife for nearly two decades? A new theory argues that the founding father's marriage may have been strained by his son's health — and an argument about inoculation.

[...]

Despite Franklin's enthusiasm for the inoculation, he didn't inoculate his young son, Franky, who died from the disease in 1731 during an outbreak in Philadelphia.

[...]

Excerpt.  Read more at link.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Did Squabble Over a Vaccine Cause a Rift in Ben Franklin's Marriage?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 06:59:58 pm »
So, he didn't inoculate the child because his wife disagreed but after the child died his wife blamed him for not inoculating the child?   

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 07:26:16 pm »
So, he didn't inoculate the child because his wife disagreed but after the child died his wife blamed him for not inoculating the child?

From the sounds of it, he blamed her, which might be (part of) the reason he was away from her so much.  I didn't see anything about her blaming him.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 08:08:57 pm »
Another Anti-Vaxer.