Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Makes The Case For Nuclear Power  (Read 1766 times)

Offline thackney

Hurricane Harvey Makes The Case For Nuclear Power
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:25:00 pm »
Hurricane Harvey Makes The Case For Nuclear Power
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2017/09/01/hurricane-harvey-makes-the-case-for-nuclear-power/#26216ed63625
SEP 1, 2017

...But the Texas nuclear power plants have been running smoothly.

The two nuclear reactors at the South Texas Project plant near Houston were operating at full capacity despite wind gusts that peaked at 130 mph as the Hurricane made landfall. The plant implemented its severe weather protocols as planned and completed hurricane preparations ahead of Category 4 Hurricane Harvey striking the Texas Gulf Coast on August 25th.

Anyone who knows anything about nuclear was not surprised. Nuclear is the only energy source immune to all extreme weather events – by design.

This nuclear plant has steel-reinforced concrete containment with 4-foot (1.2 meter) thick walls. The buildings housing the two reactors, vital equipment and used fuel have steel-reinforced concrete walls up to 7 feet (2.1 meters) thick, which are built to withstand any category hurricane or tornadoe. It can even withstand a plane flying directly into it.

The plant is located 10 miles (16 kilometers) inland and at an elevation of 29 feet (8.8 meters) above sea-level. The facility is designed with watertight buildings and doors, with all buildings housing safety-related equipment being flood-proof to an elevation of at least 41 feet (12.5 meters).

‘We’ve got significant rain but flooding has not been an issue here,’ plant spokesman Buddy Eller said in a phone call about the reactors.

That the nuclear plant is just fine seemed to irk anti-nuclear groups who don’t want to see nuclear ever performing well, even if it helps the storm-wracked people of south Texas when other power sources are failing....

...Two-hundred and fifty storm crew workers, along with regulators, were running the plant and were set up with sleeping arrangements, food and water to weather the storm no matter how long it took. None of them were afraid, knowing how safe the reactors are.

No other industry was as prepared.

According to the online news source North American Wind Power, one large wind installation in the path of the storm sent all 39 workers home as the hurricane closed in, but operated remotely until the wind hit 55 mph. It then shut down automatically like all farms when wind speeds exceed their design limits. Most wind farms have not sustained much damage, but getting them back to capacity will be difficult....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: Hurricane Harvey Makes The Case For Nuclear Power
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:27:11 pm »
In Big Test of Wind Farm Durability, Texas Facility Quickly Restarts After Harvey
https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-wind-farm-back-online-1504294083
 Sept. 1, 2017

For the first time in the history of the burgeoning U.S. wind industry, a wind farm got hit by a hurricane—and it was back producing power within days.

Harvey made landfall as a Category 4 hurricane with winds of more than 130 miles an hour a week ago Friday about 20 miles from the Papalote Creek Wind Farm near Corpus Christi, Texas.

One section of the onshore wind farm was producing electricity on Thursday and the other was expected to be back online on Friday, according to its owner, German power company E.ON SE .

“Papalote actually survived really well,” said Patrick Woodson, chairman of E.ON’s North American operations. The delay in restarting was mostly because the power lines were damaged, he said.

Weather gauges suggest the wind farm didn’t take the brunt of the storm: they recorded sustained winds of 90 miles an hour, or the equivalent of a Category 1 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

The wind farm has a total of 196 turbines and can generate 380 megawatts, making it a fairly large power generator. The turbines were made by Vestas Wind Systems A/S and Siemens AG .

The storm was the first major test of how U.S. wind-power installations, which now provide roughly 6% of the nation’s electricity, hold up in hurricane-force winds....

...The turbines are designed to shut down and feather their blades when the wind gets too strong.

He said turbines would probably begin to fail when winds reached 140 miles an hour, with blades detaching and smashing into nearby towers....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 07:27:56 pm by thackney »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 12:36:20 am »
The USA will be at a serious disadvantage if nuclear power generation is curtailed.  It is a proven technology to deliver reliable, clean power in stark contrast to renewables like solar or wind.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 05:41:24 am »
The USA will be at a serious disadvantage if nuclear power generation is curtailed.  It is a proven technology to deliver reliable, clean power in stark contrast to renewables like solar or wind.
I don't mind the renewables, they remain an alternative, but seriously, for the foreseeable future we will need coal, oil, natural gas, hydropower, and nuclear--all of it--if we're going to grow our economy.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 06:37:18 pm »
I don't mind the renewables, they remain an alternative, but seriously, for the foreseeable future we will need coal, oil, natural gas, hydropower, and nuclear--all of it--if we're going to grow our economy.
:thumbsup:

Well said.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:31:09 am »

I don't mind the "renewables" either, however, I do mind having my tax money subsidizing them.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 01:34:19 am »
I don't mind the "renewables" either, however, I do mind having my tax money subsidizing them.
I agree. They should have the 'level playing field' they crave and compete in the open market.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 11:56:30 am »

Very much agree.  All of the above, treated equally.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 08:38:22 pm »
I agree. They should have the 'level playing field' they crave and compete in the open market.

I disagree on that.

Just like public funding was used for the Manhattan Project, or the NSF, or NOAA, or NASA, this is part of the Common Defense.  We shouldn't just wait until it reaches market rates.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 08:46:23 pm »
I disagree on that.

Just like public funding was used for the Manhattan Project, or the NSF, or NOAA, or NASA, this is part of the Common Defense.  We shouldn't just wait until it reaches market rates.

Are any of your examples really competing with private industry already in the market?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 09:18:32 pm »
I disagree on that.

You can't go down to nukes 'R' us and pick up a reactor, you can compete in the whole space thing if you want to, but you are likely to be NSF (non-suffient funds) in the end.

This has gone from basic scientific concept to commercial product, and it is the commercial product that government is subsidizing, in competition with other products. If government started subsidizing one brand of car or fidget spinner or any other product (not basic concept research, but product) you might not think it was a good thing.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 01:30:01 pm »
I disagree on that.

The Manhattan project was to build nuclear weapons PERIOD! Not power reactors, bombs. NSF is a small research bureau, NOAA is the modern mutation of the old weather bureau, and NASA is another research organization. NONE of them are commercial enterprises using tax money to subsidize non competitive commercial enterprises.

Set fire to your weak strawmen , they are useless.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:30:21 pm by Joe Wooten »